Quivers

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Quivers

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:01 pm

I've been looking at quivers a lot lately. For some reason I've been finding quivers a fascinating subject. I normally find them interesting, but I suppose its the fact that recently I've become fairly disenchanted with the ones I already own. :cry:

It seems to me that whatever type of quiver you choose, it becomes a process of compromises. Take for example the old reliable standby, the traditional back quiver. It has lots of good points, but it also has a few bad ones too. They hold lots of arrows. They look great. They don't wear out. You can make your own designs. On the not so good side, you will end up blunt broadheads because of the constant rubbing together. Drawing an arrow necessitates large body movements that game find easy to detect. The worst aspect of this style in my view is the constant noise of the fletches and broadheads rubbing together. Sure if you go slow enough and carry your back quiver closer to horizontal position you can minimize it, but it never goes away. :cry:

Easy you say, just opt for a bow quiver, but once again the compromises start creeping in. Nobody can tell me they prefer carrying or shooting a bow with a bow quiver in place, the balance is all out of wack. They make you bow more difficult to transport due to their bulk, and can make a takedown bow no more convenient than a one piece bow during transit. They don't hold many arrows in comparison with a back quiver. However, on the plus side they're nice and quiet to use. They're great in heavy cover. They allow the use of backpacks and bumbags without any hindrances. :roll:

Then there's a few special quivers that don't strictly fall into either category. Quivers like the "Catquivers", that have some similarities with back quivers, but without the noise and protection for your fletching as well. There's also "hip quivers", but they aren't very popular in this country. I don't know why, but then again I don't have much experience with them. There's a newer type of quiver appearing on the scene, it's called the "side quiver". It's like a back quiver in some ways, but its also like a bow quiver too. In fact, its basically a bow quiver that you carry over your shoulder. This style has several advantages, these being, you don't get any arrow rattle as each arrow is held separately, you can withdraw an arrow with very little body movement, and you can protect your fletching with a cover held in place with elastic (the same ones used with bow quivers). :roll:

Believe it or not, over the years I've owned just about all the different types of quivers. I've always been searching for the "perfect" quiver, but I've never found it. Carrying my arrows has always been a minor hassle. Just tonight I have placed an order with 3 Rivers Archery in the US for a Great Northern "Sidekick" quiver. Its one of the new "side quiver" types.
I won't be chucking away my other types of quivers just yet, but I think this new style might just do the trick. :roll:

Sorry about the super long introduction. The questions I wanted to ask are -

What style of quiver do you use? What makes your style of quiver better for you? What do you think of other types of quivers? Would you consider changing styles?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Hood

#2 Post by Hood » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:11 pm

At the moment I only have a 5 arrow quick detach bow quiver.

I have wanted a back quiver for ages now but have not had the cash to buy one, or the time (motivation, yes I'm slack some times) to make one.

I'd also like to try the one that is a back quiver but has a hole in the side of it for easy under arm access of arrows which rids you of the gross (as in large) over shoulder movements. I'm pretty sure that Glenn Newell uses one of these and he loves it.

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

stace

#3 Post by stace » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:19 pm

Mick S
Mate Iv'e just about got one of everything
Got the quik detachable Bow Quiver for recurve
and the Bolt on for T/D's recurves

Got Back quivers ,side quivers (made myself ,will hold something like 20 shafts separated )
Got Home made Catquivers
I think I should get the camera out
As you said they all have their draw backs so I got one for each instance to cover the different styles of hunting .
I like the bow quiver for all your good reasons and agree with the lop sided statement ,but for the speed and lack of movement ,I feel it suits me better and as you said I can use my back pack with it
I have tried tying Cat Quivers to the side of my pack also back quivers and still do if I need a number of arrows for an extended hunt
But when I need only 6-8 shafts then its a bow quiver for me
In a 6 quiver I rubber band two shafts below or between the others with the heads all in the foam
cheers
stace

adam

#4 Post by adam » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:33 pm

I'm waiting to get some of my Game skins from over east to make my own side quiver and a back quiver. I already have a good back quiver but its not primative engough for when Im in that mood. I'm also looking for a bowquiver for my new fred bear t/d :?:

A favourite back quiver that I have used was a full leather quiver with sheep skin surrounding the inside, it had two shoulder straps and a waist belt. It had attached a sheath for a knife and one for a steel on the quiver, aswell as a pocket for spare fox whistle, string etc. the arrows sat perfectly behind your head and was quiet to hunt with. It was hand made by a bowhunter.

Guys making there own back quivers, make sure theres a bit of ply timber of better on the bottom so you don't put an arrow into your spine :idea:
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

hubris

#5 Post by hubris » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:53 pm

arrrrrrgh.. quivers!!! :x this was one of my first ever questions I posted on ozbow... I've made a side quiver, made a back quiver, tried a bowquiver... and I'm still experimenting!

I really liked the bow quiver on the takedown. I reckon they look great with the bolts and the more modern style. I also reckon they are great for functionality in terms of lugging arrows around, but anymore than six arrows and I was back to square one of where to carry the extras. The extra weight didn't really bother me... but I do prefer to shoot the bow on it own.

As to the side quiver, I thought it would sort out my problems with carrying a backpack at the same time. The problem was (beside's Butch's dog eating it!) that I found it got in the way crawling through the scrub. Also, again... anymore than 6-8 arrows and I was back to square one with where to carry the others.

I've come full circle, back to my back quiver that I made. I like that it feels tight against my back, my arrows are ready for fast draw, and I can carry a dozen or more arrows in there.

The problem is - as always - carrying water, day gear, and also hiking gear. I bought a simple lumbar pack which works pretty well, but because it's a cheapy, doens't sit that well with 2 or more litres of water in it - but other than that, it works with the back quiver. I've been looking at the Badlands Super Fanny Pack and the Crooked Horn Trailblazer (expandable fanny pack) because they seem to have better waist padding, and better harnasses for when you're carrying water.

My only concern is that that they may sit to high, and get in the way of the quiver... and then I'm back to square one! :x :wink: Anyone used these? Any comments?

I love the back quiver though. It was great up north climbing through the thick underbrush, and also when I had to climb up the rockface. The side quiver would have got in the way.

Adam, touch wood I'll never stick myself :?
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

pedro

#6 Post by pedro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:51 am

When i first got into archery i got a back quiver made out of goat skin. The base was made with the thick leather off the neck of an old billy and moulded into a cup. Broad heads never stuck through it. it use to carry 30 arrows but 15 used to be enough although there was many times it came home empty.
It did make a little rustle from th feathers and the odd head rattle but i knew i probably was the only one who could here it because of being next to my ear. I ised to continually ask people if mthey could hear it, but the awnser was no but i can hear your clumsy feet.
The other down fall like you say mick is the movment of getting an arrow out. I couldn't put a number on how many times i was caught reaching for that arrow, having to freeze in that position for 10 minutes or more. That and the arrows getting caught up in thick scrubb where the main reason i switched to a bow quiver. That was after many fustrating years.
Once i got a bow quiver, I'd found a great mate. My kill rate went up. Being able to get an arrow onto the string while an animal is looking straight at you is definatly a bonus. Its also easy to get arrows through the scub and very quiet.
The extra weight on the bow took a little to get used to as did the lack of arrows. I started using tape and doubleing up half the arrows which gave me twelve. The other advantage as others have said is you can carry a hydro pack with out interference, which is the best thing since sliced bread i might add.
A few years ago one of my mates made a side quiver for hunting. He used the grabber off an old bow quiver. He liked it a lot so i made one too.
i used a thick peice of plastic, sewed a belt strap to it then bolted a bow quiver to it. It worked a treat. The good thing about this set up is its a two in one. If you get in some really thick scrubb and the hip setup is no use, you can wack it back on your bow.
These day I alternate the bow quiver and the hip qiver depending on the scrub.
Those back quivers with the hole in the side near the base are very nifty too. The good thing about them is you don't have reach over your shoulder and they can be used with a back pack with no hinderence. If you havnt seen one and get a chance to watch the hunting videos by Clint Picking, "the boar war" and "north of the capricorn". you'll see neil melon uses one on them. Very nifty idea, and i bet they catch on.

jeezas what dribble.
pedro.

pic showes hip quiver setup. pics explain more.
Last edited by pedro on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jindydiver

#7 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:57 am

adam wrote: I'm also looking for a bowquiver for my new fred bear t/d :?:
Your fred bear? I thought it was junior's. :D

I have just made one like Pedro described with the hole in the side. I have yet to give it a work out though.
I will take some pics later today and post them
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:52 pm

Afternoon Mick

I have 3 quivers - back, side and special.

The one that may interest you is the special.

I made it a number of years ago as a protector for the back pocket of my jeans. Basically it is a piece of thickish leather folded in half and stitched with a couple of slits to thread a belt through. You end with a snug pocket around 6" deep and 4" wide.

It will fit inside my back pocket but usually it just wear in the small of my back. That way i can put a bundle of arrows with field point in it and the shafts run vertical flush with my spine.

The arrows do not move and are kept out of the way.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:29 pm

Mick,

I would have to say for me a back quiver suits 99% of the time. I noted some of your negatives regarding a back quiver but there maybe reasons for these problems.

Firstly I have an over the shoulder Back quiver (it hangs diagonally across my back) and only has a single strap. I don't like them with two straps as I feel this can cause some of the problems you have experienced.

If the back quiver is held vertical by a couple of straps this can allow the arrows to move around and make noise. Also it makes it difficult to get through thick scrub. When you have a single strap it is a simple matter just to pull the bottom of the quiver forward under your arm and it makes it easy to go through scrub.

It is also important that the quiver should be able to collapse and mould to the shape of your back. This will then hold your arrows in position and stop them making any noise. You will sometimes hear the flecthing rubbing but that is only, as someone has already mentioned, because they are close to your ear. The broadheads don't rattle around either. I always make it a habit to give my broadheads a lick or two with my diamond steel each night which keeps them nice and sharp.

I haven't really found the back quiver to be a big problem regarding alerting game. Most of the time I have an arrow on the string when close in on game.

A back quiver seems to go hand in hand with my longbow and it seems to give me plenty of freedom to shoot from different shooting positions which I often find necessary when hunting to get that good shot in.

I have tried a Cat quiver but don't really like it. I also don't like a bow quiver for the same reasons you don't.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:41 pm

Fellas

Thanks for the interesting and varied replies. There's a few novel solutions there that I've never even considered. :shock:

The side quiver a few of you spoke of, is indeed interesting. Its the one made of leather much the same as a small back quiver, but it has a few differences, such as a longer single strap than most back quivers, a long oblong hole down the side of the quiver, through which you extract arrows and slotted wooden inserts built into the bottom of the quiver to accept individual broadheads. The actual shafts aren't held separately though and I believe there would be some fletching noise. It be very interested to hear some reports of their effectiveness in the field. :?

One of my mates has a novel solution. Its similar to Pedro's. He has a one piece detachable bow quiver that attaches to an adapted cut down pistol holster that clips over the top of your trousers. It rides vertically beside his hydration back pack. About one third of the quiver is down and of course two thirds is above the belt line. It works extremely well.

No matter what type of quiver I may be using at any time, I'll always have a good old reliable single strap back quiver handy. They're just too practical to dispense with entirely. In fact, regardless of what quiver I'm using on the day, I still use mine to carry spare arrows, even if I leave it in the car. You've just got to love their traditional appeal too.

I'm looking forward to receiving the Great Northern "Sidekick" quiver that's on order. I still reckon it will take some beating. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Buford

#11 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:19 pm

i love my back quiver, :D Erich designed it so when the straps are adjusted properly (2 strap, diagonal across the back design), the arrows are held in place tight enough that they make minimal noise and if you bend down to pick something up or crawl through a tight space, the arrows wont fall out, even when the quiver is tilted up side down. :wink:

buford
Attachments
quiver2.jpg
quiver2.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 9206 times
quiver1.jpg
quiver1.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 9206 times
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Buford

That's a nice looking back quiver! Mine is a lot plainer. I like to wear mine fairly loosely. It makes it easier to swing up or down when climbing through fences. Its a pretty rare event for the arrows to actually fall out, but they tend to rattle around quite a bit. :?

Jindy and Stace

I'd like to see the photos of your quivers. :roll:

Mick

jindydiver

#13 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:33 pm

Sorry I was so slow Mick.

I got the idea for this from the guys on Tradgang.com.

The base is a piece of ply with some high density foam to hold the broad heads. The top is divided to stop the rattle a bit, but I think I might change the shape of the timber so that the whole thing is a little flatter and less round. That should cut the rattle to nearly nothing.

Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:53 pm

Jindy

Thanks for the photos! That's very heavy leather you're using there mate.

Have you tried it out when hunting yet? The ones I've seen advertised had individual slots for broadheads in the wooden part at the bottom of the quiver. I presume the slots are to eliminate broadhead rubbing. Do the arrows come out nice and easy when you're wearing the quiver?

You've got me thinking about trying to make one for myself now. :roll: It wouldn't be all that hard by the look of it. :wink:

Mick

jindydiver

#15 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:38 pm

I like it good and heavy, I then have confidence that I won't be spearing myself :wink:
I don't need slots in the wood because I have the foam in there.
I haven't tried it out hunting yet, only in the yard, and it is working alright so far, except like I said I might change the shape a little.
I went with this sort of quiver becaise of the damage to my neck means that reaching over my shoulder tempts cramps, and I don't think they will help my poor form any :wink:

It was easy to make, it only took a couple of hours one evening, thats why it looks like a prototype, with all the extra lines drawn on it and such. :D
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Tuffcity

#16 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:48 am

I've also ran the gamut of quivers (other than bow mounted) and about 5 years ago settled on a side quiver. I just put an adjustable strap on a hip quiver I had. It holds 6 arrows, each held separately, with a foam filled cup for the points or BH's, and it easily slides up on the back or under the arm depending on what sort of brush you're plowing through. Plus there is very little arm movement required to extract an arrow. Being right handed the quiver slides under my right arm and I can quietly remove or replace a shaft with one hand.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:36 pm

Tuffcity

The side quiver you describe sounds exactly like the one I've got on order (Great Northern "Sidekick"), except your one holds 6 arrows instead of 5. :wink: I ordered a pair of "Piggy Backers" as well. These are two rubber clips where you can carry an extra arrow if you want to. They clip onto an arrow already in the quiver and allow another arrow to be clipped on. It will be handy for carrying around my Judo arrow.

You seem quite happy with yours. I'm hoping (though not expecting) this will be the last quiver I buy. Anyway, I will now have plenty of choices when it comes to quivers, because I've got all sorts. :roll: I'm still pretty keen to try making one like Jindy's though. I reckon not only would it be great fun to make, it would be very rewarding to be able to use something you've made for yourself. 8)

Mick

Tuffcity

#18 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:48 am

Mate... you need to look in the Lore & Legends sections before you buy stuff. :D

version of the one arrow piggy back

I personally think the side/back quiver is the best thing going (although mine didn't cost a $100 either :wink: )

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Well I've been using my Great Northern Sidekick quiver now for about 3 weeks. I thought some of you may be interested in my thoughts on how well it works.

To cut a long story short, I'm very happy with it. It's a joy to use. Actually it's almost like a revolution for me as far as quiet, convenient and practical carriage of arrows is concerned.

I was a little concerned initially that the quiver might hang up in thick bush. The back section of the arrows hang out behind you a fair way. In practice I've found that the quiver is great in heavy cover. You can just walk normally and everywhere you go the quiver simply stays out of the way. If you need to duck under branches, you don't even have to make any allowances. The only time I've struck a problem is when I pivot my body, the fletching seems to bang on whatever's around. It's an easy problem to fix though, just don't swivel around.

It's easier to climb through a fence with the sidekick than a traditional backquiver. You barely have to manipulate it through because it just follows your body and you duck through. If you do have to manipulate the quiver, it comes to hand like a dream and you can tip it to any angle without fear the arrows will fall out.

Of course the quiver is completely silent. Each arrow is held individually so there's no noise whatsoever.

Its relatively easy to extract and insert arrows into the quiver when it's being worn. You do have to reach back behind you a bit to reach where the arrows clip in. It's a bit fiddly, but I'm getting more proficient all the time.

The best part about the quiver is the fact that you "get have your cake and eat it too", in as much that you are left with an unimpeded bow. free of bowquivers. That makes your bow feel light and perfectly balanced. You also get to carry your arrows completely silently, safely and securely and the quiver is so comfortable and easy to use, you almost forget it's on.

If you are slightly peeved with your current quiver arrangements and you are looking for alternatives, I can highly recommend a quiver of this type. I will probably continue to use my bow quiver on certain situations where a quick followup shop may be important, or in particularly thick cover, but for general use the sidekick is hard to beat.

Here's a photo of it.

Mick
Attachments
sidekick quiver.jpg
sidekick quiver.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 9066 times

Hood

#20 Post by Hood » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:11 pm

Mick how about a pic of you with it on, so we can get a better idea of how it sits. please :)

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#21 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:33 pm

Mick

Mate, I lifted that picture straight of 3 Rivers Archery web site. I don't have a digital camera yet.

I'll try to explain how you wear it. If you're right handed, the strap goes over your head and sits on your left shoulder. The strap is adjusted so that its fairly long. The body of the quiver (the main part with the arrows) rides horizontally just above your right hip. The rear portion of your arrows point back behind you. The front of the quiver only sticks out a small distance in front of you.

I forgot to mention. If you have a fletch hood for use with a bow quiver, you can use it with the sidekick as well. So you can have a water resistant covering on your fletches and camo covering your bright feathers too. 8)

Mick

Hood

#22 Post by Hood » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:23 pm

Okay then so I can gather from your explination that it pretty much sits like a ladies handbag would :wink:

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:00 pm

Mick

Don't laugh mate, you can actually buy a quiver that's just like a women's handbag. Actually it's similar to the sidekick, except it's got the bag too.

Mick
Attachments
German Ridge quiver.jpg
German Ridge quiver.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 9039 times

Hood

#24 Post by Hood » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:39 pm

Oh crap thats almost funny :lol: :lol:

Either way I'm happy.

adam

#25 Post by adam » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:12 pm

Hey thats a great looking quiver, both of them.

Adam
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Big Dan

#26 Post by Big Dan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:31 pm

Thanks for the review Mick. I'll have to consider the sidekick. Looks like anyone who has a bow quiver could build something similar without too much trouble.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your new bow, too.
...Everything with which a man amuses himself is vain except three (things): a man's training of his horse, his playing with his wife, and his shooting with his bow and arrow. (Muhammad, Messenger of Allah, Peace be upon Him. From Abu Dawood)

tracker

#27 Post by tracker » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:32 pm

Smitty... how do the side quivers go when you are down on your face?

I seem to spend a LOT of time in that position when I'm chasing the local goats.. and my backquivers handle the 'groundwork' well.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Hood

#28 Post by Hood » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 pm

This is the quiver I was thinking of when this post first started
The The WILDERNESS, Side Stalker Quiver

http://bowyersedge.com/stock.html#Anchor-The-49575

Either way I'm happy.

timbo

#29 Post by timbo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 pm

I like the look of the side staker, very nice indeed. It could be worth having a go at making one.

Cheers Tim
Get Up, Get Out, and Get into em!

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:15 pm

Tracker

I haven't actually tried belly crawling along the ground when I've been wearing it. I have done a bit of crawling on my knees though.

You can easily adjust the quiver so that it sits up high on your back just like a traditional backquiver. You just have to push it around. It would ride in much the same fashion as a traditional quiver. You can't get arrows out of it in this position though.

The biggest drawback with this quiver is that it takes a bit longer to extract an arrow or to put one back in the quiver than the good old fashioned back quiver. In fact its nowhere near as quick or convenient, but the other pluses more than compensate in my opinion.

I won't be getting rid of my single strap traditional quiver just yet though.

Timbo

It would be very easy to make one. You can buy spare arrow clips/brackets at archery shops for about $13 and the rest would be very easy to assemble out of stuff you'd probably have lying around. If you had an old bow quiver, all you would need would be a strap and you'd be in business. 8)

Mick