havent been here awhile- small update (pic heavy)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

g_r

havent been here awhile- small update (pic heavy)

#1 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 am

Hi,
as i havent been to this site for quite awhile due to alot of things to do, i thought, as i know how much you folks like to see pictures :D i´d show you some from this year.

No long stories though, just brief descriptions.

First, a little trip to a course in April, loved the woodsetting, sadly we had to interrupt at the middle `cause my girlfriends string started to break, but it was starting to rain also.
Me and my girlfriend were at an 3D course in April.<br />This is the first station, for getting back into shooting.
Me and my girlfriend were at an 3D course in April.
This is the first station, for getting back into shooting.
IMGP0029.JPG (103.79 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
One other station, a Alpine ibex, and my Girls first inner kill.
One other station, a Alpine ibex, and my Girls first inner kill.
IMGP0032.JPG (85.86 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
At one of those 24 stations you had to shoot out of this....
At one of those 24 stations you had to shoot out of this....
IMGP0034.JPG (132.63 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
onto this. That groundblind sure screws with youre shooting. we lost 2 arrows on that one.
onto this. That groundblind sure screws with youre shooting. we lost 2 arrows on that one.
IMGP0033.JPG (43.13 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

g_r

Re: havent been here awhile- small update (pic heavy)

#2 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 am

a stillife of my Bob Lee with the selfmade asbell-style-quiver from March while out stumin
a stillife of my Bob Lee with the selfmade asbell-style-quiver from March while out stumin
P1050717b.JPG (80.69 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

g_r

#3 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:33 am

AND NOW.....Some fishing!
At least here will be some hero-pics.

as some may remember we rented a new pond as our old own was made into a golf course sommer reservoir. well, the new ones smaller and has only one tree, wich means heat in the summer, but i guess nothing compared to some of your regions.
(We have 35-38degrees Celcius since the last three weeks and already the refrigirerators in the super markets are broken :roll: )
Me and two buddies fishin aleisurely evening, it was more about the fun than the catch, but we managed to catch about 60 carp in 3 hours, none bigger than 2 pound. Spawning was good last year!
Me and two buddies fishin aleisurely evening, it was more about the fun than the catch, but we managed to catch about 60 carp in 3 hours, none bigger than 2 pound. Spawning was good last year!
IMGP0266.JPG (117.62 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
During an overnighter for tench our dog decided my bedchair was more comfortable than the ground. Belief or not, i shared with this big stubborn mongrel
During an overnighter for tench our dog decided my bedchair was more comfortable than the ground. Belief or not, i shared with this big stubborn mongrel
IMGP0226.JPG (62.97 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Haack with a 11,4kg carp at 4:00 in the morning, still had -2 degree celcius in March during the nights.
Haack with a 11,4kg carp at 4:00 in the morning, still had -2 degree celcius in March during the nights.
DSCF3810.JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
A 12,3 kilo carp from March, looks like theyre healthy and well.
A 12,3 kilo carp from March, looks like theyre healthy and well.
DSCF3804.JPG (36.15 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Attachments
Another at 11 kilo out of the same session as those two above.
Another at 11 kilo out of the same session as those two above.
DSCF3808.JPG (41.82 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

g_r

#4 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 am

Since Mai i have access to a small river with trout eel barbel chub and other species.
But the biggest pleasure is its most of the time far from villages and roads.
I had some very good results there this year but as most of my fishing is stalking here i rarely carry a camera.
If i carry one i need to rely on the selftimer, so please excuse the misrable quality of some of them.
how many rabbits are there?
how many rabbits are there?
IMGP0219.JPG (67.32 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
two eels out of five on one morning. old socks are grat for gripping them. not the biggest ones, but smoked they are very fine eating!
two eels out of five on one morning. old socks are grat for gripping them. not the biggest ones, but smoked they are very fine eating!
DSCF3821.JPG (76.96 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Eel love heavy rains and rising rivers! Just above this swim a small creek flows into the main creek. You can see the muddy water it brings in. Inside this brown half you could catch perfect, in the clear side-nothing!
Eel love heavy rains and rising rivers! Just above this swim a small creek flows into the main creek. You can see the muddy water it brings in. Inside this brown half you could catch perfect, in the clear side-nothing!
DSCF3820.JPG (57.84 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
a most strange roe deer buck. It looked at me, than came towards me at 30 yrds, looked came nearer to 20, barked twice and trotted slowly off, sorry, no good focus and tripod and hasty hands.
a most strange roe deer buck. It looked at me, than came towards me at 30 yrds, looked came nearer to 20, barked twice and trotted slowly off, sorry, no good focus and tripod and hasty hands.
IMGP0238.JPG (76.74 KiB) Viewed 3714 times

g_r

#5 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:59 am

I hope you enjoyed them, as said, just a small part of what happened this year, i bought a smaller camera, perhaps i can show you more soon. Till then, stay safe!

OK, one last special one:
The eagle owl is Germanies biggest predator bird and the worlds biggest owl. Its wing-spreadth is up to 160cm and it can weigh up to 3.5 kg.
There are only 500 breeding pairs in Germany and this year there was only one known to have three chicks. As it happens iknow where it lives and its only 5 km from my home.
They breed in a vertical stone wall from an old quarry. As i had borrowed a big telephoto the chicks had not shown this day, but i can show you one of the breeding pair. Believe me they are quite a picture when they are flying in complete silence into the dusk.
DSCF3822.JPG
DSCF3822.JPG (83.18 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
DSCF3830.JPG
DSCF3830.JPG (75.88 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
The pics were taken from 150 yards away and 50 feet below.

Thats all for today!

wal

#6 Post by wal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:20 am

Excellent mate :D :D Thanks for sharing withus, nice to see.

Cheers

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 am

great pics gr :wink:

Benny Nganabbarru

#8 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 am

Good on ya, thanks for sharing those pictures. Cheers.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am

Good to hear from you gr. Well it seems you are enjoying the outdoor life as usual with some great results!!! Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

That blind at the 3D shoot would have been difficult to shoot out of.

It is always good to see wildlife in their natural surrounds and having those owls near your home is something special.

When are you coming down to chase some of our wildlife? :D

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Bill » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 am

g_r you have presented some great pictures.
A couple of questions as to the carp, for in Austalia, especially in the location that I live the Carp are treated as vermin, a pest and are a danger to our water ways, rivers and streams. I have never liked the muddy taste of the Carps flesh, along with a lot of fat. (but I like eel we capture them alive, then let them live in a small pond unit we are ready for a feed.)
Now my question is, do the Carp in your rivers and creeks destroy the river banks, pollute the water and displace the native fish species of the area...........bill

hutcho

#11 Post by hutcho » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am

g r

Thanks for sharing the pics.

They are some fat carp not a real fan of carp but when I was in Cambodia I ate a few and they were OK - it could have been the chilli and garlic though. Smoked eel, yummo its one of my favourites..

Cheers

Hutcho

looseplucker

#12 Post by looseplucker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Great pics g_r - those were big carp alright. I like smoked eel too!
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

g_r

#13 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 pm

@ Bill:
Carp are not considered an invasive species but a highly rated fish for eating and fishing here. They were first introduced by the romans who brought them from Asia.
In most waters carp do spawn here but as our summers are shorter the small ones rarely survive the winter. Mostly they are bread in special ponds and that is a tradition in my region, Frankonia is famous for its carp and its a delicacy here (you only eat them in month with "r" due to it then being winter and they are easier to handle and to drain the ponds. Most mirror-carp strains and sorts are named after places not further than 200km from me as this is historically seen the big carp breeding area, with that i mean worldwide.
Additional there is a big branch of the sport of fishing that just deals with carping for the big uns, with special rigs, baits, a whole industry and many magazines in the whole of Europe.
So you might say it is definately no vermin here but the maybe most important fish in sweetwater.

And for eating, small ones up to 4 pound are great. If the water is to muddy put them in a very small pond or even a bathtub with clear water for 5-7 days without feeding it. after that its great flesh and highly rated here. (i am not so kenn on it though as i think i had to much off it already.)
The tradtiditional way of eating it is either boiled in a vinegar vegetale water (only for the hard ones, its slimey and looks like somebody has already eatin it) or , my favourite, deep fried in a batter of breadcrumbs, egg, beer and flour with potatoes aside.

Hope that answers youre question.

g_r

#14 Post by g_r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 pm

@ Jeff:
Well, my plans of comin down are always there but its getting harder and harder, moneywise that is. I am part time student and self employed and business is slow at the moment, then the car needs something, then this than that, you know the story. My plan always was to save min. 2000Euro and then book a flight, doesnt look like i have the money soon. So i started again looking for an internship or a employment because then a foundation would help me out for learning overseas, that would be my ticket. But its kinda hard to find something in Oz at the moment, especially as finding a place to apply to in the first place via internet is not easy at all.
All i can say is that my next big journey will make some australian critters laugh, but when, i dare not guess.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Well I hope you do find some place for employment here where they need your skills then mate.

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#16 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Great pictures G-R is good to see you posting again keep them comming.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

otis.drum

#17 Post by otis.drum » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:05 am

great pics, thanks.
...otis...

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Bill » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 am

Thanks g_r your answer to my question is fine. :)
The situation with the carp destroying many of the waters ways is so bad here that it has been rumoured that one of our states (NSW) is thinking of passing a law that will allow bowhunters to hunt and bowfish the Carp, this will then be another means of getting rid of a truely invasive pest..........Bill

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Good Pics, G.R. Thanks mate.
In the pic with your dog, is that tent an umbrella?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

g_r

#20 Post by g_r » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:37 pm

@Moreton:
Yes, its called a brolly and was invented for Carp-anglers (proof of the industry). Its 2,5m wide and 2 the other direction wide with side panels that can be fixed with pegs. Pretty good for putiing a bedchair under it. I dont like the big packing seize (well like a big umbrella) and its weight but thats just because i am extreme in matters of that. Lighter and smaller than all tents that fit for bedchairs though.

piggy

#21 Post by piggy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Great pics there mate, looks like some fun times to be had.