predator classic - love this bow

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

hutcho

predator classic - love this bow

#1 Post by hutcho » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I feel manlaw dictates that I need to post a picture of this sexy predator. She's a 62" grey and red beauty that weighs 54lb at a sultry 28 inches

I have had it a few weeks now and the bow and I are getting on fabulously. The story so far:

After owning the bow for 3 days and only having shot it at 15 metres I took it to Tumut for the Zone 3D ABA titles. Not having shot recurve before and using the arrows that fly like darts out of my 55lb internature viper longbow (goldtip traditionals with 100gn brass inserts and 125gn tips 3x4" shield cut feathers) I wasn't expecting too much.

At the end of day one the scorers grade me to "A" grade. - sweet.

At the end of day two I crashed miserably and shot poorly as I started second guessing myself and still finished 2nd in "A" grade....

So recently as the trouble and strife wanted to head out to her parents place I decided to book into Combaning state forest (between Cootamundra and Temora) for a days hunt as it is only 20k's away from the in-laws.

Apart from a few of the locals driving past giving me some filthy looks as I was walking back along the front edge of the forest to get back to the car at the end of the day - I kid you not there had to have been 15 cars drive past within the 2 k's I walked back along the edge of the road - in full camo and blaze baseball cap - I took the facemask off

Anyway here are the pics of the bow. This is the presentable side as the snuffer (thank's Ben) went in between the front legs and came out this side and made quite a mess with some blood pooling on the other side - he never took a step. The shot was taken at a few under 20 metres.

Love this bow.

Hutcho

longbow steve

Re: predator classic - love this bow

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

They are a good honest bow Hutcho, I have shot Ian Fentons one and was happy with the feel and performance.
Is that a Hare? Congratulations. Steve

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Well-done! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

TomMcDonald

#4 Post by TomMcDonald » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 pm

hutcho wrote:I feel manlaw dictates that I need to post a picture of this sexy predator. She's a 62" grey and red beauty that weighs 54lb at a sultry 28 inches

I have had it a few weeks now and the bow and I are getting on fabulously. The story so far:

After owning the bow for 3 days and only having shot it at 15 metres I took it to Tumut for the Zone 3D ABA titles. Not having shot recurve before and using the arrows that fly like darts out of my 55lb internature viper longbow (goldtip traditionals with 100gn brass inserts and 125gn tips 3x4" shield cut feathers) I wasn't expecting too much.

At the end of day one the scorers grade me to "A" grade. - sweet.

At the end of day two I crashed miserably and shot poorly as I started second guessing myself and still finished 2nd in "A" grade....

So recently as the trouble and strife wanted to head out to her parents place I decided to book into Combaning state forest (between Cootamundra and Temora) for a days hunt as it is only 20k's away from the in-laws.

Apart from a few of the locals driving past giving me some filthy looks as I was walking back along the front edge of the forest to get back to the car at the end of the day - I kid you not there had to have been 15 cars drive past within the 2 k's I walked back along the edge of the road - in full camo and blaze baseball cap - I took the facemask off

Anyway here are the pics of the bow. This is the presentable side as the snuffer (thank's Ben) went in between the front legs and came out this side and made quite a mess with some blood pooling on the other side - he never took a step. The shot was taken at a few under 20 metres.

Love this bow.

Hutcho
Good work.
Were there a few rabbits in that forest?
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Good one Hutcho! Always good to take a new bow bush and take game with it.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 pm

nice bow,good shooting...........................Rod

hutcho

#7 Post by hutcho » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks fellas,

Apart from this unlucky one there were a few hares around and a few rabbits. On the way out there I saw heaps of rabbits/warrens but as there are a few canola and wheat crops that are surviving they don't venture too far from there.

The next time I head out the father in law is going to take me to the sister in laws place ( he will take his ferret) as there are supposedly a heap of rabbits and hares there - Its about an hour away though.

Cheers,

Hutcho

TomMcDonald

#8 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:11 am

hutcho wrote:Thanks fellas,

Apart from this unlucky one there were a few hares around and a few rabbits. On the way out there I saw heaps of rabbits/warrens but as there are a few canola and wheat crops that are surviving they don't venture too far from there.

The next time I head out the father in law is going to take me to the sister in laws place ( he will take his ferret) as there are supposedly a heap of rabbits and hares there - Its about an hour away though.

Cheers,

Hutcho
Hutcho, I might have to have a look.
Do you mean you saw lots of Warrens on public or private land>?
Tom

TEX

#9 Post by TEX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:20 am

It's good to see you have made a trusty friend Hutcho and such a good looking one at that.
Tex

hutcho

#10 Post by hutcho » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 pm

The warrens were on private land.

Cheers,

TomMcDonald

#11 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 pm

OK I get ya.
Nice bow.
Tom

Jeffro

#12 Post by Jeffro » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Good Work Hutcho,its great that you can pick up recurve shooting so quickly

hutcho

#13 Post by hutcho » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:05 am

Jeff,

I have shot longbow for the last couple of years and almost went down the "spend a bit on a good longbow path" but the takedown appeal won out.

The best part about this bow is that it shoots about the same as my 1991 Hoyt Spectra lite hunter that I shot up until 2006 so it was easy to use the same bastardised instinctive/gap shooting technique that I used on the Hoyt.

I have some a few different spined timbers to put through it with 160gn tips to see which tunes the best then I might get a few dozen of the Hexshafts from Canada seeing as I can't get any copperhead barrelled and tapered shafts that I have a soft spot for.

The only bow that was more of a point and shoot bow that I tried was the Samick Hawkeye that I put 16 arrows through before the limb de-laminated and I couldn't get another (a black widow copy). If I had an extra $500 fun vouchers I may have bought a black widow.

I love this bow though - it shoots well, little shock, very quite with the fastflight cat whiskers I put on it, fast and is a nice looker.

All I need to do now is knock over some bigger ferals.

Cheers

Hutcho