Mornings fish(+pics)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

adam

Mornings fish(+pics)

#1 Post by adam » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Had a pretty productive morning on the water. This is one of the better fish I caught 86cm golden travally. Good fighter all the way. Also now got my rist bandaged up after some magor line slap. Pulling up a reasonable fish, hand line in one hand line sliding through the other, then bang huge shark grabs the fish and the line coming of the reel slapped my rist so hard it cut in a large S shape, Nnnice.

Anyways here's the fish.

Adam
Last edited by adam on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:23 pm

I bet he gave your arms a stretch :)

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Adam

Did you catch the golden trevally off the rocks in the background or out of your boat? Judging by the size of the rod in the photo, it must have been a landbased effort. :wink:

I've never caught a golden, but I'd reckon they would pull like a train, most trevallys do.

Have you ever considered doing a bit of bowfishing up that way? There would be plenty of sharks around. I don't what they'd be like to eat though up there in the tropics, but we love our sharks down in Victoria. Yum yum!! :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Nice fish Adam!!!

Jeff

adam

#5 Post by adam » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 pm

These guys are commen at a few of my land based spot Mick but this chap was from the boat. That rod in the back ground is for using poppers off the islands, sometimes we go out to the islands and then landbase fish(hot action).

Bowfish up here wouldn't hold much of a challenge mick, sharks stingrays and the likes are at hands reach most times and bowfishing for anything other then carp just doesn't interest me. If it was for good eating fish I would, but I don't consider shark good eaters up here not when theres mackeral, red scarlet sea perch, jacks, red empior and the likes in big numbers.

We also get a lot of big striky sea perch up here, excellent sushi

ET

#6 Post by ET » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:00 pm

G'day Adam

You really know how to rub it in dont you :lol:

ET :wink:

adam

#7 Post by adam » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:32 pm

Your welcome to come rub some fish with me anytime ET :wink: Boats fueled up and the throw net is ready. Same with anyone else wanting to have a fish up here, all invited.

CM Sackett

#8 Post by CM Sackett » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:03 am

Mornin' Adam,

Beaut' of a fish... gorgeous ground!

Being from across the Pond, I'm not familiar with your "Gold"s... are they a white-meat fish (like flounder, Orange Ruff, etc)?

CONGRATS, and thanks for taking the time to share it.

Sackett

BTW, piercing sharks sounds like a fine way to spend a mornin'!
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

ET

#9 Post by ET » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks Adam

It looks like alot of fun fishing round your way

ET :wink:

adam

#10 Post by adam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Good day all.

Sackett, Yes a white flesh fish, top eating mate.

Et, these waters up here are totally wild with good fish in the tonnes. Most trips we release 30 to 50 huge fish for there species, you have to be here to beleave it.

Hopefully will have some more pictures on the weekend, heading out tomorrow after work for a fish then on monday for another in the boat.

Adam

Bandit

#11 Post by Bandit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:18 pm

thats a nice fish! i'm a little jelous, the fishing here in lake maquarie was never great, well in my lifetime anyway hehe, i've been told it was good 30 years or so back. might have to go in search of a spot where you get fish like that :wink:
cheers,
bandit
*attack life, its going to kill you anyway*

adam

#12 Post by adam » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Hey Bandit, born and bred newcastle boy here. Are you farmilar with wangi wangi, silverwater area of the lake, Pulbar island(sp) has provided some top fishing for me. Including a few flathead that got me in the paper, some large brim, leather jacket, flounder, along with blue swimmer crabs and squid on most if not all occasions.

Try venturing that way while fishing one day bandit. What area do you live and fish in newy.

Adam

Bandit

#13 Post by Bandit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 pm

i'm in rathmines, we used to just go pretty close to here, had more luck with the crabs than fish, we went around pulbar island once.. didn't catch anything but saw a shark that was about 10-12 foot :shock: . parents sold our boat a while back as we werent getting much.. might have to nick someones and have another try one of these days hehe.
how long ago did you leave newy?
*attack life, its going to kill you anyway*

adam

#14 Post by adam » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:54 am

Lived on and off at newy for about 17years bandit, left there about 8 years ago but always come back to see family etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man what a day. Spent the first part of the day sweating it out in the humidity and heat at work, found a main water pipe with the bobcat :oops: wasn't spose to. Hooked the boat up waited for the plumber then headed off to a late appointment with the water.

Must have passed 12 huge turtles on the way out and a few dolphins and sharks were seen heading past the islands. In the crystal clear water we also spotted two good 50cm emperor that were at the surface, seen this a few times since I've been here.

Anyways pull up at my favorite boat fishing spot and its all on soon as the lines hit the water. Big queenies on lure and live baits, big golden trevally on lure and baits, and about 6 other good species being regular as well.

By far the best bit of fishing was throwing poppers out and having up to 25 90cm plus GTs chasing it, then once hooked all of them sticking with there hooked mate right too the surface, Most of these long fighting fish were eventually lost to the reef, eaten by sharks, or released in the water besides the boat(so no pics of the big gts sorry) Hooked about 8 all together.

While I was pulling up a big Painted sweetlips I noticed some huge Queenies chasing the Sweetlip up so out came the lures again. The surface bubbled behind the lure and you could clear see big queenies slapping the lure and every now and then a huge gt would belt through the queenies. After going through a few 60cm queenies I hooked a large 97cm guy. He put up an excellent fight leaping into the air at every large run. A few times the big queenie would have been 1.5 meters in the air but would have covered a distance of six meters across the water, truly an awesome fish to hook up.

I think we release 30 top fish and kept the unsuccessful release fish. A top afternoon fishing.

One of teh best Queenfish for the day.

Large sweetlip that is on the table right now.

The old boy and a medium golden.

A nice finger mark.