SS Part3

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

stace

SS Part3

#1 Post by stace » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:31 pm

I awoke early, laying there swinging slightly in my hammock listening to the morning chorus of bird life. Thinking over the last few days of hunting and fishing, the trip up and the drive back, mostly not relishing the idea of leaving the best hunting /fishing spot EVER.!!Butch had offered Et and I the privilege of staying another week and he would return next weekend and lead us out. After thinking hard over the decision, it was that we would leave today as in case of an emergency it was a big drive out on a non-existing track.
Heard Butch moving around so it was up and at it, a quick pack up of non-essential gear, breakfast (very fast) and into the canoes for our last run upstream. Got into the canoe with Et still scratching around camp and took a photo of camp from the water, then load ET and away. We had a few casts at snags on our way up to bag a few fish to take home to TRASH BOSS, got the occasional fish but the morning was still early and cool so fishing would hot up as it got warmer. Both ET and I were trying to stretch the time as much as possible and trying not to look at Butch who would tell us when to head back to camp and home.
Well after a few more fish we got the nod, time to head back BUGGER. Following Butch and Mal downstream trying to cast, paddle and steer was an adventure, THEN we noticed Butch waving towards the bank and saying “PIG!! You see it”. Well fishing was forgotten big time as we noticed a nice sized hog lying in the sun on his own. Not even bothering to ask WHO was going to get the hog ET and I paddled straight towards the bank 40 metres upstream of the pig and ran the canoe aground on a ledge. As quietly as possible we sorted our bows from the tangle of rods and packs and off towards our hog. It was then that I noticed that he was standing, no longer lying down where he had been. Had he heard us? No he settled back down phew! So getting a large tree trunk in line with him I left Et behind being ever so careful with foot placement. There was a big tree angling at 45 degrees just 10 metres away from him, this was where I stood with bow and a Tusker Concorde tipped VA shaft at the ready.
Looking around the tree I saw he was facing away from me angling to the right .So at half draw I slowly slipped out to the side to get a shot, when two doves burst out form the other side of the tree JEEZZZZ! Easy heart .The hog at the disturbance had risen and was looking around standing broadside, so as soon as he turned his head away I came to full draw and released. Didn’t even see where my arrow went, all I could see was this tall big hog move off around the back of a bunch of thick brush and trees. NO hit !!! Hoping he would continue going in the direction he had I crossed to another small tree near a cattle pad watching the opening in the trees. BINGO! Here he came strolling across the track at 15 metres as he did so I came to full draw which made him angle away with my movement. None of the “ARMS BULGING WITH TENSION” rubbish it was all just unthinking anchor and release, to watch my shaft bury itself behind his rib cage and out through the lung area of his left side. With a BIG WOOF he crashed through the brush and away, while I was left there trying to stop the shakes so I could get another shaft while watching for movement.
Quickly moving up to where I had last seen him enter the brush I immediately found blood on the stalks at his chest height. Meanwhile Butch and Mal had landed and came to help follow the trail. Large quantities of blood led to a cattle pad up the escarpment but he had veered around fallen tree and raced downstream, that’s when I heard “HE’s OVER HERE”. At last a good hog on the ground which hadn’t escaped into hiding, sure enough there he lay in some brush not 30 metres from where I hit him. Big handshake from Butch and another look at him topped the trip off BIG TIME. Going in to drag him out, I noticed how solid he was, then I grabbed him by a hock and went, no where, he almost pulled me off my feet as I was expecting him to move. MMMM get a better grip and heave, yep got him moving towards a clear section where Butch gave me a hand. It took two of us to drag him down to a sunny clear area where we could get some pics. His tusks were small which sort of didn’t pan out for the size of him; anyway Butch did a lesson in jaw removal as I took them anyway as a momento of the trip.
With jaw in the canoe we made our way back towards camp, at a portage I cleaned our fish on the rocks while ET kept adding to our tally of fish fillets for Trash Boss out of spa sized holes that you wouldn’t glance twice at. Pack up, load up and scrounge the area for litter one final look at the river and we were away. Well, thought the trip in was an experience couldn’t even find our tracks or flattened Camel thorn, crawl along, get out find a way through, back into the 4wd crawl through till the next stop 60 metres away. Arrived back after dark at Butch’s and upon pulling up I stepped out of the cruiser and almost fell down. Legs were cramped and overall I was pretty tired from the few days of FULL on dragging canoes through portages and generally doing everything at twice the pace to fit in as much as we could.
A big thanks to Butch and Jo for their hospitality, the effort they put in to making sure we got to enjoy ourselves .The laughs we had, our experience with Long tailed Ducks, the hunts and the fishing made it very worthwhile THANKS AGAIN

stace
Attachments
hog.jpg
hog.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
escarpment.jpg
escarpment.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
ROSE.jpg
ROSE.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks for the third installment mate. It sounds like it was a very special hunt for sure!!!

Good to see you got a boar and he certainly was in good nick to.

Jeff

rory

#3 Post by rory » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Well done mate on that boar :D

Too early still for the numbers of pigs to be about :?:
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

trash one

#4 Post by trash one » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:48 am

Hay Stace
It was go fun hay?. You and ET are welcome back anytime, mate you really look knackered in that photo, I'll catch upwith you soon I finish 730 PM saturday this week.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

stace

#5 Post by stace » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Butch
Mate I forgot to put the most important pic in so here it is
All the running from fishin hole to fishin hole finally caught up with him at our usual huntin spot on our way home
Also one of the wildlife
stace
ps be here till 8am then off to work for Toz for the weekend be back sunday arvo unless something goes wrong
Attachments
Walla.jpg
Walla.jpg (94.59 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
snooze.jpg
snooze.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 3390 times

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Thanks Stace, that was a good read, I throughly enjoyed it. 8) This trip encapsulates three of my obsessions simultaniously, bowhunting, canoeing and fishing, what more could you ask for? :D

Oh yeah, I forgot, I nice big porker. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

trash one

#7 Post by trash one » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:01 pm

Hay Mick
If your ever in this area sing out, canoeing fishing and huntin you cant do any better than that,

CATCH YA
BUTCH

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:28 pm

BUTCH

Thanks mate! :D If I'm ever up your way, you can be sure I'll pop in and say g'day. Likewise, if you're ever down this way, you will be more than welcome here. I just wish I could offer you a hunting spot that was half as good as your's. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

trash boss

#9 Post by trash boss » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:01 am

Hay Mick
Most huntin spots are the same it's the company that makes the difference, I think anyway ?
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:33 am

Yes mate, I totally agree. It's not the game taken that makes a great hunt, is the total experience and good company goes a long way to insuring that you have a great time. :wink:

Mick

Rue

#11 Post by Rue » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:44 pm

Stace,
That is a great story, ET was out to it. Congrats on that hog again.
Rick

TRASH

#12 Post by TRASH » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 pm

EH Butcho have ya taken to wearin skirts mate.
i see you were still getting over the slush puppies from last night, since when do you post as trash boss i bet jo dont know your taken over her turf mate.
but we can keep it between the two of us eh.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

BowDonkey

#13 Post by BowDonkey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:00 am

The trip was just plain awesome. Thanks for spending the time to tell us all about it. I hope some day to have my chance of checking out the outback.

trash one

#14 Post by trash one » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 am

Hay Strowy
I think the ice they were using was off, the trip home from the music shack was tough all those hills and gullies lucky I was there to guide Jo home. Hay mate were goin huntin again in a fortnight do you remember what that is.
Hay BowDonkey I just called but no ansewer.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

stace

#15 Post by stace » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:05 pm

TRASH 1
YOU were asked not to tell me when you were going hunting AGAIN
I am having a tough enough time concentrating at work as it is still thinkin over the trip
Strowy
Don't pick on ol Butch you know he's sensitive and hes not gettin any younger either HEY BUTCHO!!!!!
BowDonkey
Look forward to hopefully seeing you out here some day
Yeah it was a GREAT trip even though it was a 5,000km round trip for 3 days of huntin I'd do it agin tomorrow SPECTACULAR place(ps look after that AKUBRA)
stace

toz

#16 Post by toz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:18 pm

At home 3pm? cant be doing too much or did you just work late at my place to make me think that you do that all the time?

trash one

#17 Post by trash one » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Hay ET
Did you get alittle knocked up out huntin, had to have camp up hay.
I noticed an emty packet of stawberry creams beside you, what is that funny little name you have for them?
CATCH YA
BUTCH

erron

#18 Post by erron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks Stace, great story, and I loved the 'snooze' pic :D

Erron

ET

#19 Post by ET » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Butch
you must be seeing things.I cant see any stawberries and creams there.

Erron
It was hard work sitting back and waiting for the game to come to us.

ET :wink:

erron

#20 Post by erron » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 pm

Hey ET, why work hard?

:lol:

Erron