hunting tips

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

howler

hunting tips

#1 Post by howler » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 pm

hi guys i was wondering if someone could help me please ,when buying hunting heads for arrows how do i know which is the right one for the arrow ,in grains i mean, or doesnt it matter ? i bought a 65lb compound bow and 6 2117 alloy arrows with it and was wondering what hunting heads to put on it ,,,,thanx guys

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 pm

howler

Perhaps you could check out the Easton web site, there's a section there where you can work out what weight point is needed for your bow's draw weight and the spine of your shafts. It does matter. Your arrows won't fly well if they're not correctly spined for the broadheads you intend to use.

Once you know what weight range broadheads that are suitable, I suggest you check out Woody's Outback Broadhead site to see if he makes a two bladed broadhead in that weight. Outback broadheads have a well deserved reputation. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

huddo0312

#3 Post by huddo0312 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:09 am

Enough of the plugs for product. Lets get down to serious stuff. Punch into a search engine(GOOGLE) "arrow chart". This will tell you which arrows are suitable for the draw weight of your bow. Not only will your arrows not fly correctly, if the spine is too light they could damage your limbs. I'm by no means an expert on spine, grain weight and FOC but I do know I've never seen a 2117 on an arrow chart as suitable for a 65lb compound bow. Shooting these arrows out of your compound is akin to dry- firing it.

Dave

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:12 am

Howler

May I suggest you ask the same question on TBGA and you will probably get a better answer.

This is a Trad site and as such the vast majority of people here are involved with Traditional bows and not compounds. That does not mean there are not people here who do not have a comphrensive knowledge concerning knowledge of compounds. But I am of the opinion that you would be better served by the good folk at TBGA.

http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

howler

#5 Post by howler » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:33 pm

thanx guys ill give em a try