RED WING HUNTER 56#@28" - GC

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

RED WING HUNTER 56#@28" - GC

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:13 pm

I have for sale a very nice Red Wing Hunter bow which is now far too heavy for me to draw and it should be passed on to somebody who can use it. Price $350.00 plus postage.

There is a single pic on show here and a PDF attached with 14 pictures of the bow. These recurves are one of the very few which are actual full working recurves.
IMG_2187.jpg
IMG_2187.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Red Wing Hunter 56#@28%22.pdf
(926.65 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Chase N. Nocks

Re: RED WING HUNTER 56#@28" - GC

#2 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 am

A beautiful shooting classic bow Dennis.

Too heavy for my shooting these days as well unfortunately otherwise I'd snap this up in a New York minute.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm pretty certain that I once owned this bow. It would have been around 2005 or so. I bought it directly from the US. I can't imagine there would be very many 56# Redwing Hunters in Australia.

It was an excellent bow, in almost perfect condition. It will make an excellent hunting bow for some lucky purchaser.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

whitey222

#4 Post by whitey222 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:30 am

PM sent Dennis. :)
Graham
Predator Classic T/D Recurve 51 & 61# limbs, Redwing Hunter Recurve 56#, Mathews Monster Chill R 70#

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Well, it looks like Whitey222 has put his hand up for it.

I have another Red Wing Hunter which is only 42lbs which I can manage. The only thing I would ask of recurve makers would be if they could make them with the similar full working recurve limb a la the Red Wings but with a straight handle without the overdraw like the old Bear Grizzlys used to be back in the early '50s (of which I now have 4).
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am

Now they are really beautiful classic recurves....works of art.
I am lucky enough to have a Red Wing Hunter 58" @ 55# tiny tip still wearing the Houston Decals from the original factory.
S/N R1585 which I am told is very early 60's. Bob Lee sure could turn them out.

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 pm

The one going to Whitey222 is numbered RA8220. My other one at 42# is numbered RA1116. It has a very few more knocks than the 56# bow. But I have no idea when either of these was made.

There is something about the Red Wings with their understated brown colour and use of Black Walnut for the riser. I still don't think the modern recurves have working recurves like the Hunters do. When you draw them, there is a distinct let-off as you get back to around ¾ draw. It is just like a lesser version of what happens when you draw a compound. That is exactly what a working recurve is supposed to do. That indicates a flattening of the f/d curve at the top of the curve. I couldn't tell that with the 56# because I couldn't even brace it let alone draw it, but I noticed it immediately with the 42#.

But, they seem to need a high brace height to keep the noise from string slap down a bit. I have seen strips of thin rubber somewhere which can be adhered to the belly of the limbs where the string contacts for just that purpose.

PS: Hardgrainer, what does KATA TON DAIMONA EAYTOY mean??
Dennis La Varénne

Muz1970

#8 Post by Muz1970 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 am

Hi, is this bow still available? Have a mate thats interested, Please message with your details if so.

Cheers Muz

whitey222

#9 Post by whitey222 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am

Muz1970 wrote:Hi, is this bow still available? Have a mate thats interested, Please message with your details if so.

Cheers Muz
That puppy is in my hands now, I'm happy to say. :biggrin:
Graham
Predator Classic T/D Recurve 51 & 61# limbs, Redwing Hunter Recurve 56#, Mathews Monster Chill R 70#

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 am

Graham,

Did you notice that sort of let-off effect at the end of the draw that I spoke about? It certainly is there on my other 42 pounder?

Also, had a go at that stick I gave you? I thought it kicked a bit myself.
Dennis La Varénne

whitey222

#11 Post by whitey222 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm

No Dennis, I can't notice any let off on this one. Not to worry, its a sweet shooter and an excellent addition to my pathetic-compared-to-yours bow arsenal.
So far I have only used it for target shooting at my property. It gets it's first proper outing this weekend at Lithgow Valley Archers field course.

I gave the stick bow a coat of lacquer a couple of weeks back but have yet to shoot it. Thinking now I'll take it to Lithgow as well, if only to raise some eyebrows.
Graham