Bethungra Dam (very pic heavy!!!)

Photos by Members of Ozbow.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Bethungra Dam (very pic heavy!!!)

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 pm

After leaving Dennis's we had a little under three weeks to be home which gave us time to stay at a place for a few days if we felt like it. Our plan was to free camp as much as possible not only because it saves us a lot of accommodation costs but also because we much prefer that to caravan parks. In fact we free camped all but two nights on the trip home.

After staying a night at a roadside park on the outskirts of Wagga Wagga we headed up to Bethungra Dam. We had never been there but saw it mentioned in the Camps 7 book. It is about a half hour SW of Cootamundra. We found the turnoff and was immediately on a very dusty dirt road which wound its way up past a quarry and on into the hills. The Camps book never mentioned anything about a dirt road as it usually does and we started to wonder if we were on the wrong track. However we decided to keep going the 5kms that the book said and sure enough we topped a hill and Bethungra Dam was in the valley before us. It was a beautiful sight and looked like the kind of place one could spend a few days just relaxing and that is exactly what we did. :biggrin:

We ended up staying three nights. We filled in the days sitting back relaxing, doing afternoon walks, chatting with locals and other travellers and enjoying outdoor cooking. The photos that follow will, I hope, give you an idea of why we liked this beautiful place.
Looking up the hill from camp to the entrance to the dam reserve.
Looking up the hill from camp to the entrance to the dam reserve.
IMG_5820.jpg (206.78 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Jude and our little mutt 'Buttons' up in the wind on one of our afternoon walks.
Jude and our little mutt 'Buttons' up in the wind on one of our afternoon walks.
IMG_5842.jpg (205.15 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Up in the hills.
Up in the hills.
IMG_5844.jpg (241.4 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Overlooking our camp - bottom left.
Overlooking our camp - bottom left.
IMG_5845.jpg (233.3 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Another shot taken up in the hills.
Another shot taken up in the hills.
IMG_5852.jpg (231.67 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Loved the colour of the flowers.
Loved the colour of the flowers.
IMG_5848.jpg (233.63 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Getting some coals ready for the camp oven.
Getting some coals ready for the camp oven.
IMG_5865.jpg (233.46 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
A lamb roast was in the oven.
A lamb roast was in the oven.
IMG_5868.jpg (233.21 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Lookin' and smellin' great!!!
Lookin' and smellin' great!!!
IMG_5872.jpg (229.23 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Cooked just how we like it.
Cooked just how we like it.
IMG_5873.jpg (160.08 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
It wasn't a bad feed even if we do say so ourselves.
It wasn't a bad feed even if we do say so ourselves.
IMG_5874.jpg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
To be cont……..

Gringa Bows

Re: Bethungra Dam (very pic heavy!!!)

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Looks like a great place to camp Jeff,ummmm and that looked like a top feed mate..... :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Some more photos.
An old camp oven of ours that would have been made back in the 1800's.
An old camp oven of ours that would have been made back in the 1800's.
IMG_5879.jpg (210.39 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
This is the first time we have used it since getting it earlier in the year and removing the rust and re-seasoning it.
This is the first time we have used it since getting it earlier in the year and removing the rust and re-seasoning it.
IMG_5885.jpg (239 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
It did a fine job with the little damper we made for afternoon smoko.
It did a fine job with the little damper we made for afternoon smoko.
IMG_5888.jpg (189.98 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
IMG_5892.jpg (157.71 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
Down at the dam wall.
Down at the dam wall.
IMG_5893.jpg (214.91 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
Standing alone!
Standing alone!
IMG_5904.jpg (215.99 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
Not a bad spot at all!!!
Not a bad spot at all!!!
IMG_5908.jpg (172.84 KiB) Viewed 4554 times

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Buttons looks happy as,even poking her tongue at the camera :lol:

Goatchaser

#5 Post by Goatchaser » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Some very beautiful country and nice pics, and ya makin me hungry. :wink: Thanks for sharing.

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Wonderful Photos.
Top food shots and some great scenery.
Hungry for more.
Regards

John

wal

#7 Post by wal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 am

Top pics as always Jeff, old camp oven is cool, how did you go about removing rust and re seasoning ? I have a cheapie I was given a while back that I wouldn't mind re birthing.

Cheers

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm

great scenery, somehow looks cold though. Was it? And did you throw a line in at the dam? Meal sure looked great.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Glad you liked the photos fellas.
LB rod 55 wrote:Buttons looks happy as,even poking her tongue at the camera
Yeah mate she had a ball and didn't mind the caravan life at all. She especially liked the lamb roast. :lol:
bigbob wrote: somehow looks cold though. Was it? And did you throw a line in at the dam?
Yeah Bob it was cold for us Queenslanders. The days weren't bad so long as you were out of the wind but the nights we certainly rugged up. We prefer that than being too hot though. :biggrin: Nah mate no fishing for me. We saw quite a lot of locals giving it a try in both boats and from land yet we never saw or heard of a fish being caught. :lol: Red Fin and Silver Pearch etc are in there though.
wal wrote:old camp oven is cool, how did you go about removing rust and re seasoning ? I have a cheapie I was given a while back that I wouldn't mind re birthing.
Wal, the first thing you have to do is get rid of any old oil that maybe on the oven. A good scrub with dishwashing detergent or simply burn it off buy placing it in your barbecue if it is one with a lid. Once you have done that give it a bit of a clean off with a wire brush, either by hand or one you can put in a drill etc. The latter is better and easier. :biggrin:

If the rust is only on thin (surface rust) a good clean with the wire brush maybe all it needs followed up by a good wash with hot water and a stainless steel scourer (this would be followed by the season method described below). If it is deeper I do the following and in fact it is my preferred method regardless.

After cleaning as above I place the oven in a molasses bath. I have cut one of those blue plastic 44 gal drums to use for this purpose. I do a mix of 5 water to 1 molasses but I have access to free molasses. Some fellas use a 20:1 mix. It isn't critical. Place your oven in this brew and make sure the oven is completely covered. After a couple of days you should see bubbles starting as the process of rust removal is well on the way. I think the molasses fermenting is what does the cleaning. Anyway after about three days I check the oven and give it a bit of a wire brush and hose off which removes any loose rust. I then place it back in the brew for another day. I have found four days to be enough so far but if your brew is weaker it may take longer. The extra time won't damage your oven.

After taking the oven out of the brew I use the garden hose and hand wire brushes to clean the oven off. I also then give the oven a really good scrubbing with a stainless steel scourer and things just go a horrible black and then I just hose it off. Repeat this process until you are happy that there is no rust remaining and the oven is a very clean grey colour like this.
IMG_2960-web.jpg
IMG_2960-web.jpg (226.65 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
A word of warning; do not let the oven dry at all while you cleaning it or it will immediately get surface rust on it. I place my ovens under water so no air can get to them while I get the lid cleaned up.

When you are ready wipe the camp oven and lid dry and place them on your lit barbecue and close the lid. Keep a close eye on them and as soon as they show no signs of moisture open the lid and give them a wipe over with your choice of cooking oil. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. They only need a light coat. I apply it with a piece of folded paper towel. You will probably need to wear gloves as the oven will be rather hot. :mrgreen:

You must get the oil on ASAP as light surface rust with form the moment the metal is dry. I have found no matter how quick I am I will get a very very light rust the second the metal is dry. This doesn't hurt so long as you get oil on it as soon as you possibly can. Once the oil is on place your oven upside down (so no oil will pool inside) on the barbecue and close the lid. Hit the the barby up to approx 225 - 250 degrees C for an hour. The oven will smoke a bit but will stop. I would repeat this process a couple more times. I just let the oven cool down enough so I can handle it to re-oil it between coats. After you have done this just give the oven a very light wipe over with Olive oil and it is ready for use.

This oiling and heating process seasons the oven by forming a shiny black non stick surface. This surface will build up more with use. After use I never scrub my ovens out with soapy water. I place some clean water in them and put the lid on and heat them over the fire and let the water boil for a few minutes. I then simply wipe them out with paper towel and they are clean. I then just give them a quick bit of heat over the fire to dry any moisture and finish off by giving them a wipe over with a paper towel and Olive oil. This coating only needs to be very light and it will stop the oven from rusting while in storage.
This was the oven in the above post before I cleaned it.
This was the oven in the above post before I cleaned it.
IMG_4191-web.jpg (159.88 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
I hope that helps. If you have any further questions just give a holler in a PM if you wish.

Jeff

wal

#10 Post by wal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Top reply mate , thanks for that, it gives me a good idea of how to get the one I have in action again. Molasses must work magic, I was only reading his morning of blokes treating old steel traps with it to bring them back looking good, mentioned twice in one day, must be a message there for me to remember that...

Cheers

clinton miller

#11 Post by clinton miller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:58 pm

yep molasses is awesome at removing rust. my dad dug up an old shotgun barrel once. i gave it a molasses bath and it removes every trace of rust, even heavy pitting. it's a nice addition to the man room.
i believe car restorers use it to remove rust from old panels so they don't have to do it mechanically with grinders or grit blasting.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 am

Anymore pic's Jeff?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:02 am

Yeah mate I have plenty more of the trip but didn't know whether to put anymore up.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 am

i'm looking ,so yeah why not :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am

Ok I'll put some more up of the trip in another thread soon mate. :biggrin:

Jeff