Dimensions for a 30lb boo board bow?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

Dimensions for a 30lb boo board bow?

#1 Post by Mububban » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 am

Howdy folks

What sort of dimensions should I start with for the handle and the tips to get a ~30-35lb starting point that can then be fine tuned? It'll be the full length of the boards so roughly 68-70 inches nock to nock.

I've had 2 x two-layered staves glued up from the bamboo flooring for a while now. Once the weather clears (my workshop area is outdoors :( ) I want to make 2 x 30lb longbows/flatbows for use in The Activity That Shall Not be Named :D

I'm trying to get a backing strip of natural bamboo off a friend to glue on in reflex to one of them. With the second bow, I'll just glue on some linen fabric as protective backing.

Keep in mind they'll be flinging arrows that are a bit heavier than the average due to the non-aerodynamic head. I'll make future staves reflexed from the get go, these will be for practise, to sell or keep as spare bows to lend.

Thanks!

roscoe

Re: Dimensions for a 30lb boo board bow?

#2 Post by roscoe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am

I dont think you would have to back the boo board for a bow of 25-30lb (verticle grain boo). I think a good design for what you would want is a rectangular section bow 70-72" and a bend through the handle design, as mentioned in trad bowyers bible. This bow would be 1 3/8 - 1 1/2" wide parrallel from mid limb to mid limb and taper to 1/2" nocks. It would be about 3/4"- 1" thick for first 5" in the centre handle area then tapered out to 1/2" at the nocks. This was mentioned as a good first selfbow design in TBB and i think it would be ideal for your bow weight using boo floor board...roscoe

Mububban

#3 Post by Mububban » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks Roscoe, when the weather clears (my workshop area is outdoors) and I get a free weekend, I'll give it a go with those dimensions.

As the arrows we use are quite heavy, the 30lb limit is quite low, and shooting distances range from 10m to >50m, I need a bow with decent cast so I'm interested to try the bamboo backing on one of them to see the performance difference.

And I've talked my mate into showing me how to make natural bamboo backing in about a month's time so hopefully I can finish the linen-backed bow myself, then work with him to do the boo-backed one.

Thanks again!

roscoe

#4 Post by roscoe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am

A better idea imo is to use the natural bamboo for the back and the belly & use the floor board as the core material. Because you might find that the natural boo will crush the belly wood of the boo floor board. By using the natural boo on the belly and back it will prevent this and give you a lot more cast for less bow mass. I seen some beautiful bamboo backed & bellied bows made at the gladstone longbow/recurve muster. The bloke who makes them keith does a great job and i believe he does workshops on making them, which i myself want to go to one day...Roscoe