Bit shorter than normal

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

roscoe

Re: Bit shorter than normal

#31 Post by roscoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:39 am

Rod
I have a kit from ausbow for the misses it will be about 45lb @66". Been building my form for the job, ill us clamps for this one rod. I cut the staggers on the lams this weekend. I am in the process of making some pieces for the sides of the form to stop the lams sliding about. Do you have any ideas on making these pieces, or anyone else for that matter? I am keen to get this bow done, but i have found that the lams slide about every where when clamping, i dont wont to go through that nightmare again.... Roscoe

Gringa Bows

#32 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:35 am

G'day Roscoe,sounds like your on a roll :D i use a big washer say 2in from one side to the other drill a hole in the bottom screw it in position ,then when u want it out of the way you just roll it out of the way if you know what i mean,got it off a yank site :mrgreen: good luck mate.

roscoe

#33 Post by roscoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:47 am

Yeh, make it work eccentric, rod is that what you mean? sounds like a good idea rod and easy to make. I will get some large washers and make them up. What about the ends of the laminations?

longbow steve

#34 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am

Pre glue your lams with superglue or the techniglue if you have the time then give a light sand when dry. Splice your lams on 45deg rather than butt joining and stagger the layup. Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#35 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:14 am

What about the ends of the laminations?
Ross, Use fibre reinforced tape (clear tape with fibre lgalsss fibres running lengthwise through it) to run up the side of the form, over the lams and back down the other side of the form - see attached photo.
Bow-Making-10.jpg
Bow-Making-10.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
You can see the tape lying on it's side in its dispener in the top right of the photo. I think it's made by 3M and I got mine from Coles. The tape stops the lams moving about. You only need a piece near each ends and at the fades and then I place one each side half way up the curve of the riser.

Do as Rod suggests and glue your half length lams together before glue up.

May I also suggest that you actually put some fadeouts on your riser as if it is anything like what I have seen in those kits previously from Ausbow they really have none. You want a nice transition from riser to lams.

All the best and post up some photos. :D

Jeff

roscoe

#36 Post by roscoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks fellows, i didnt think of glueing the butts together, that makes good sense. Jeff while i have you here, I have organised my local panel beater to spray the finish on the bow (2 pack clear). But, he wants to know if he should put flexina in the paint and does the bow need priming with another product before clear coat? Thanks... roscoe

roscoe

#37 Post by roscoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Jeff
Will that tape hold those lams together and stop them sliding?...roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:14 pm

The flex aid stuff isn't really needed. I used to put it in on the first coat but not the finishing coat. There is no primer needed.

I spray the bow with a touch up gun and low pressure as you don't want a thick coat. I also spray with the bow horizontal as there is less troubles with runs. Once the first coat is done I let it dry over night and then rub it back with 1200 wet and dry and then give it another finishing coat.

Yep, the tape will stop them sliding and that is all I use. Still glue the half lams together first though.

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#39 Post by Bill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Great there Guy's :) it's like an all in build along, a number of question being answered here, for I've even gone out and bought a kit to help myself get it together and at least get a bow built that may be light enough to assist my shoulder and returning back to my favourite past-time of shooting arrows. Thanks again,...........Bill

looseplucker

#40 Post by looseplucker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 am

Cheers Rod - yep, it'd stack at less than 65 with a 29 draw. I draw 27 myself - so that is why I can get my hybrid bamboo back and bellies down to 59"...

64" is a nice length.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?