Tapering shafts for field points

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

firery

Tapering shafts for field points

#1 Post by firery » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi folks - forgive me as I may have missed the post as I'm new but can anyone help me with what tapering tool is best suited to field points. I have the normal standard 125g field points on a 11/32 shaft but am struggling to fit it to the shaft without the taper being exposed - Fiery

Gringa Bows

Re: Tapering shafts for field points

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:44 pm

are you sure the field tip is 11\32,it should be written on it....... :?:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Welcome to the site firery.

As Rod suggested check you have the correct size field point. Also the little plastic tapering tools are known to be quite inaccuarte at times. They can be moulded wrong which can cause the taper to be at an incorrect angle (5 degrees). Sometimes, if the taper is too long and bottoming out in the field point you can cut a little bit off the taper and get the point to seat properly.

IMO the best kind of taper tool is one that sands the tapers rather than cutting them. FORRO on here sells a good little eletric sanding type one - see this thread http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9486

For the cutting type I believe the Bear Paws or some similar name are quite good. They can be purchased from jcm, see this link http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4927

Jeff

pdccr

#4 Post by pdccr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:50 pm

I had the same problem but i realised i was using the nock taper rather than the point taper :lol:
Cheers, Toby

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:25 pm

oh yeah Fiery,welcome to the site mate.

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Love the bear paw tapering tool. I also like another tool John sold me which looks like an adapted holder for a thread cutting tool. It holds the point and makes it easier to position in line......especially with stainless steel screw on points.

I won my first bottle of Loctite 406 superglue [no where near me stocks it or will get it in] as part of a lucky large number of grabs at the pick of the table raffle at the recent Gathering and fallen in love with the stuff. Marry them all together and it all "goes".

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

firery

#7 Post by firery » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks Guys for both the welcome and the info,
Yeh it's definately 11/32 however the plastic tapering tool I've had for the last 25 years could be part of the problem. It worked well on all my Broadheads but dosn't seem to like the field points. The shaft doesn't bottom out in the point but I don't think it's at 5 Degrees either. I'll click on the links with a tendancy to swing towards the Bearpaw as I have heard good reports. Thanks again,
Shane

looseplucker

#8 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:59 pm

The plastic sharpeners I have never found any good on a hardwood shaft. If you have a bench sander you can make up a little jig to go on the plate that you can adjust for the tip and nock tapering.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

firery

#9 Post by firery » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks Longfellow
I have ordered a bearpaw tapering tool but I have also thought about rigging up such a setup with an electric shearing grinder that I have if the bearpaw doesn't cut it. Thanks mate
Shane

littlejohn

#10 Post by littlejohn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 am

I just do 'em on the bench grinder.