RING BARKING TREES FOR BOWS

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

roscoe

RING BARKING TREES FOR BOWS

#1 Post by roscoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:57 pm

I was just wondering if i ring bark a couple of trees that i have selected for making all wood bows. Would'nt this slowly season the tree for you and later when the leaves fall off come and cut it down, split it and finish seasoning it? This way you dont have to store at home all the timber?
Has anyone tried this method or do think it will work? I have already ring barked two trees, i will see if no one has dune so them selfs... Roscoe.

muntries

Re: RING BARKING TREES FOR BOWS

#2 Post by muntries » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Roscoe, I know nothing about building bows but as an ecologist I know a bit about trees. The bark contains chemicals and tannins that act as a trees first line of defence against borer, fungi and other pathogens. By removing the bark and leaving it in-situ you're probably increasing the likelyhood of attacks on the timber from natural pests looking for an easy way in. I would cut the tree and trim it up at the site and take it home to be seasoned away from bugs and critters.

Some of these guys on here would know more than me on this.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

roscoe

#3 Post by roscoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Good point, but i'am only taking the bark off the bottom of the tree about 3inches wide. I no the borers give the trees up here a good chewing. Ill see how it goes, but, i am tending to agree with you, that the pest and fungi will attack it to much. I will let people know how it goes anyway. Just a point, the fungi and borers attack the timber in my shed. I have to spray it with borax and water just to keep them at bay...... Thanks Roscoe

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Gidday Roscoe,

I don't know anything about making self bows but I have harvested a lot of timber for fence posts. The longer you leave the bark on the tree after felling, the more difficult it is to get it off. Even one day is enough to make the bark stick to the sapwood much more than when it has just been cut. I imagine you might find the same thing with a ring barked tree though I can't say for sure.

Cheers, Rod

roscoe

#5 Post by roscoe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks Rod, since posting this thread, i have spoke to a bloke who used to cut timber for wharf construction. He said they ring barked them for that purpose, to keep the bark stuck onto the timber for extra protection. But, he also said that some tree species the bark sticks on and others it comes away. I would not like the bark to stick on for making bows, unless i decrown the wood. I dont want to completely dry the timber, but drop the moisture content a bit so as to control early checking and save on space at home in the shed. I am not even saying that this will work, but no harm in trying & all the comments mention by you and others is true, i no that....Roscoe

muntries

#6 Post by muntries » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Roscoe, don't let us poo poo the idea, give it a go its breaking the rules that we find out better ways of doing things. Let us know how it goes.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.