Double serving a string

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Double serving a string

#1 Post by matt61 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I have been experimenting with double serving my strings for my recurves and was wondering who else does it and
what thickness is your first layer is and why and then what thickness serving do you put on top.I find I shoot a lot better with it done.
cheers
Matt

hue

Re: Double serving a string

#2 Post by hue » Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 pm

you going to shoot bare fingers mate. double serving usually slows the string quite a bit!

Hue
I can only be who I am

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:44 pm

No I not that tough Hue.
Matt

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 pm

i was double serving some of my strings but now i just now i use diamondback .030 and get good nock fit with the thinner strings..............Rod

robmoore

#5 Post by robmoore » Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 am

matt61 wrote:I have been experimenting with double serving my strings for my recurves ...Matt
Actually applying two layers of serving can become messy and it's harder to get the exact final size you require.

It's pretty effective and simple to just lay a couple of extra strands of string or serving material along the string and serve over the top of them. You can apply 4 or 5 mm of serving over - say 2 extra strands - and check the fit of your nocks. If necessary, you could then adjust the number of strands in the bottom layer before completing the job.

The diamond back serving is good stuff. But you could serve over the top of a couple of string strands (or serving strands) with whatever serving material you already have in stock.

If the thicker layer is what you need for best accuracy then go for it.

"A fast miss is still a miss!"

Cheers

Bob

PS
I have just now seen the very good simple fix suggested by Stickbow Hunter under the topic of

"nock fit question" on 24th May 2010.

"I simply wrap the area of the string for about 1cm (where I place my arrow) with dental floss. I then serve my string as normal. You end up with a little thickening in the serving ..."

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:23 am

This is what I do Rob when I make a new flemish string. Once I have got the string settled at the right brace height for me
I then serve about two hundred millimetres with .18 serving for nock fit,I then fit two nocking points and then I serve from the lower nocking point down for one hundred millimetres with number four brownell as I shoot three under and it makes my release smoother and improves my consistancy.PS love joke in humour
Matt

robmoore

#7 Post by robmoore » Sun May 30, 2010 7:38 pm

matt61 wrote:This is what I do Rob when I make a new flemish string. Once I have got the string settled at the right brace height for me
I then serve about two hundred millimetres with .18 serving for nock fit,I then fit two nocking points and then I serve from the lower nocking point down for one hundred millimetres with number four brownell as I shoot three under and it makes my release smoother and improves my consistancy.PS love joke in humour
Matt

Ahhh... I now realise why you posted the original message - I have tried the same concept earlier with our kids and it was beneficial at the time.
Thanks for the response.
Cheers
Bob