Laminations for longbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

wildcard

Laminations for longbow

#1 Post by wildcard » Mon May 17, 2010 9:07 am

hi every on eI have been trying to find laminates so I can make my own longbow can any one help to direct me
laminates I am after are these hickory, Yew and Osage Orange
if someone can help can they send me a url to wildcard@y7mail.com

Steven J

Re: Laminations for longbow

#2 Post by Steven J » Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 am

The only way you will get these is to order them from Binghams archery supplies in USA. Alternatively someone here may be able to grind these for you. The Yew will be a problem though. Not widely available and the dust is highly toxic.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Laminations for longbow

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 17, 2010 9:53 am

G'day wildcard and welcome to Ozbow. Perhaps you could fill in your profile a little so we know where you are from as one of the members may live near by and be able to help. A little intro wouldn’t hurt either.

In Oz you should be able to get Hickory and perhaps Yew from the likes of Matthews timbers who are in Melbourne and Sydney and perhaps Canberra. Osage pops up from time to time also.

Do you have a reason for wanting those particular woods? North Queensland Silver Ash makes great bow laminationas as does verticle Bamboo flooring.

If you can't get what you want locally I would do as Steven suggested and contact Binghams in the USA.

Jeff