Removing feathers from wraps

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Removing feathers from wraps

#1 Post by matt61 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Has anyone got a good way that they use to get damaged feathers off a wrapped carbon shaft,without damaging the wrap.
thanks
Matt

perry

Re: Removing feathers from wraps

#2 Post by perry » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Use fletching tape. I switched to it as it was breaking my heart removing feathers and damaging my cresting. Have rarely lost a feather since I switched to it.

Sorry mate once a feather is glued to a wrap I don't like your chances

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbowinfected

Re: Removing feathers from wraps

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14 pm

use a surgical knife or scalpel / hobby knife.....but heat the feather at the base with a warming hair dryer or even heat gun on very low setting might work...but I agree with Perry.use fletching tape. With my timbers and alloys I use kids book contact as a wrap, use fletching tape and tie the flights on.....only had one broken flight in two hundred arrows over three years nd it was caused by shooting across my hand with an ELB with wrongly tuned arrows.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.