Setting up my tillering board

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

Setting up my tillering board

#1 Post by Mububban » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi guys

I'm hoping to turn my garage wall into a tillering area very soon, to replace my current tillering stick.

My basic idea is: a big sheet of particle board with horizontal lines drawn on it to check tip bending; a wooden block dynabolted to the brick wall to rest the bow on at eye height; and a hook on a rope, running down through a pulley so I can stand about 2-3m back and bend the bow and watch it flexing from a distance.

Question - for those that stand back and flex their bows using a rope and pulley arrangement, what sort of pulley or roller do you use? Where did you source it from? What should I look for, and avoid? I doubt I'll ever make anything beyond 60lb maximum as I don't have the muscles to bend it easily even through a pulley :D

I'm planning on checking out BCF for boat-related pulleys. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

MattW

Re: Setting up my tillering board

#2 Post by MattW » Mon May 03, 2010 4:44 pm

It's a bit crude but I just used some sash cord and two double pulleys from Bunnings to set up a 4:1 system. I used a 100 lb fish scale for the weight measurement and it seems to work OK. You just need some way to secure/lock off the cord. The sash cord is about 8 mm thick and is very un-likely to break, it is also a very good fit for the pulleys, but you could use any strong cord.

Mububban

Re: Setting up my tillering board

#3 Post by Mububban » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Well I'm going to BCF to look at pulleys this Saturday, so I'll see if I can't incorporate the fishing scales into the rig as well so I know what I'm pulling. Thanks for the tip, I would have forgotten about it otherwise :D