Top End Tamers!

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

Top End Tamers!

#1 Post by bear74 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 pm

well after a few months of gathering info and then sifting through it, I think it has all finally come together in the form of what will possibly be my all-round top end taming arrows for use on buff, pigs, goats, brumby’s, camels etc. I first started off with a test pack of Sitka spruce shafts from surewood shafts with 2 shafts in each spine rating from 90#-115#. I then purchased a dip tube, various weight field points and taper block from 3 rivers archery and away I went on finding the best combination for my 74# huntsman recurve. Well it was quite trying to get it all right but I eventually had it all come together with arrows that flew very well from the curve! The arrows are 115# spine, dipped in feast Watson floor varnish, black capped, 5 ½ inch feather glue on with locktite 406, 190grain ribteks glue on with clear 24 hr epoxy over a red painted taper! I have 3 dozen made up ready for when it dry’s out a bit so I can start slamming some ferals with them! They all weigh within 10grains of each other with each arrow weighing an average of 840 grains!
the foc is 12.9% which is lower than what I wanted but you cant play around with them like carbon/aluminium so will have to see how they perform before making judgement as they fly great into the target :D

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Gene-o

Re: Top End Tamers!

#2 Post by Gene-o » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Gday Bear, sounds to me those arrows will do you just fine. Tuning your arrows and finding your correct spine is all part of the fun hey :D
Best of luck with them mate, the ribby's will work a treat. Love the colors by the way. :P

Gladstone Bowhunter... Geneo.

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 pm

They'll work a treat on those boars!

Well-done!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

bear74

#4 Post by bear74 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

your not wrong there mate! these are my first atempt at making wood arrows and geez they require a lot of work :shock: but it was great fun and what I've learnt should see the next batch being much better :D

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

They look good Bear,that combo would drop a stray elephant :wink: .................Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 pm

That is some good weight for your arras and I'm sure they will do their job just fine. I look forward to seeing them in a photo or two with game taken with them. :D That Sitka Spruce must be nice and weighty. Congrats on your first set of wood arras.

Jeff

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:08 pm

thanks fella's, they will be tested out very soon when the river drops so I can get into arhnemland :D

bowshu

#8 Post by bowshu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Great stuff there Bear mate if you like to try and get more weight up front try some woody weights from 3 rivers they start @ 75gns - 200gns and they have test packs too

Cheers