1 for the wife

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

1 for the wife

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:23 pm

i decided it was time for the ole girl to have a go at archery,this bow is the first one i've done with an airhose form i made.

it has 1 3\4 reflex,nearly twice what i usually do,its 68 ntn 47lb at 28.
the handle is dead finish or red lancewood is another name,lams are n.g.tulip oak and one of wattle

the tip overlays are dead finish and white and red glass

i'm pretty happy with the glue lines,love that airhose :D

she seems to pull it back ok but she has'nt shot a bow for 30yrs,hope to have her shootin ok by Muster :mrgreen:

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: 1 for the wife

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Good stuff, Rod. Well-done again.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

hue

#3 Post by hue » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:03 pm

good looking bow Rod
gods, i hope it doesn't break on her, you'll never hear the end of it mate!

Hue
I can only be who I am

blu-dog

#4 Post by blu-dog » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I got to see this bow yesterday - and even had a couple of draws.... as with all of Rod's bows it was smoooooth! :P

Sat beautifully in the hand and just felt sweet as my fingers came back to anchor!

His work is very impressive - I love getting the opportunity to see these bows as they "make their way out of the shed!"

Cheers,
Paul
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks Ben,Hue you got that right i'd be in a lot of doo-doo alright :shock: :roll: :lol:,thanks Paul we put a heap of arrows through it today,i like it :wink: :D ...............Rod

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Good work Rod, that Deadfinish / Red Lancewood riser has me intrigued. Back in 95 out near Adavale along the Buloo River I cut a tree the cocky called Deadfinish / Silver Gidgee. It had a bright yellow sapwood and a true purple/pink heart wood. Only got one bow that shot well out of it as it was very twisted and gnarled. Wonder if its the same timber or a case of a common local name
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Perry,i bought the timber off a local woodturner,who said it was deadfinish or red lancewood ,i did have more of it but it all split exept the bit that went into the bow,i just did a quick search of red lancewood and it said the same thing.but there may be different trees in different areas they call deadfinish............Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:36 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:i decided it was time for the ole girl to have a go at archery,this bow is the first one i've done with an airhose form i made.
About time :P :P :P :P

Well done and great to see your better half getting back into archery. You may have to lift your game on the range if you don't want to be beaten by a lady.

Did you buy the air hose from Binghams or source it locally?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 pm

yes Daryl its good she's getting interested in shooting bow's,she almost always comes to shoots with me ,but stays in camp.the airhose i used in this form was bought from Binghams but i do have enough flatlay hose for two more forms that i'm going to make :wink: .......Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Nice bow and great glue lines Rod, good to see. :D

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Rod,

What is the width of the hose when laid flat [no air]?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kimall

#12 Post by kimall » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 pm

I love the drum it is in nearly all your bow pics..... :D
Good to see the air hose work for you mate but gees what has happened to all the 90 pounders that were coming out of the workshop.The glue lines look supurb as does your finishing job and good to see your bows being drawn useing some good form it shows the tiller better. :wink:
Daryl to answer the question you asked me the other day I had a look today and the hose I use reads 1 1/2" and is blue in colour.I use this with a form 2 inches wide but do use a bamboo lam(thick) as a pressure strip.
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Thank you Jeff,and thanks for all the advice on building the form,Daryl ,all the hoses are 2 1\2 in.binghams is white and what i assume is flatlay is red......Kim thanks mate :D i usually finish the bows in the shed that the bin is outside of,the missus does make the bow bend allright hey :wink: oh yeah ferdy has enough bows for now,and there's not much call for bows of that poundage :shock: ....................Rod

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:21 pm

thanks Tony..................Rod

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 am

Hi Rod.

Looks good. Must be just about time to try something different. Have you considered a recurve. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks Kim and Rod,

My longbow forms are 1 1/2" wide and the recurve form is 1 3/4". I may have to build new forms instead of modifying the existing ones.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks Grahame,nah i'll leave the recurves to you,i'm a longbower :lol: .............Daryl my forms are 1 1\2 in.wide too...............Rod

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm

i thought i'd put some pics of the new form on, still got to play around with the bit of timber that sits on top of the handle before it gets inflated, i think i'll do all my future bows like this :D .............Rod
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 5719 times

ivorycollector

#19 Post by ivorycollector » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Great looking bow Rod as usual and the form looking very robust. I am sure its giving you endless hours of fun (& challenges too)! Cheers.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 pm

You're lookin' a bit hot in the last photo Rod and you hadn't even put the bow into the hot box yet. :D

Jeff

dawallace45

#21 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 am

Jeff

He should be looking hot , it gets to be about 50*C in that little shed of his , the only place I know that makes a sauna look cool

David

Brett Finger

#22 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AWSOME JOB BRO !!!!
B
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks Siewho,yep i do have fun doing these bows, well most of the time :wink: yeah Jeff it was a bit warm i'll have to start doing them in my bigger shed :D its only 50 c thats not that bad especially if i have a beer afterwards,thanks Bretto.................Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:42 am

He should be looking hot , it gets to be about 50*C in that little shed of his , the only place I know that makes a sauna look cool
Tin sheds and work don't go together in the heat we have been having. :D

Jeff