ReNEWed Backquiver

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

ReNEWed Backquiver

#1 Post by perry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 am

G/Day Folks, first week of my leave down and I've been feeling artsy and have been doing a bit of Leather craft. I made this quiver 3 or 4 years ago without having the correct tools and it looked pretty ordinary. Now I have bought some of the correct tools I decided to retool it. I had in mind to add a subtle hint of colour to the floral designs but I could not adequately strip out enough of the old colour so went with a dark brown antique finish
tooled leather backquiver.JPG
tooled leather backquiver.JPG (75.2 KiB) Viewed 989 times
tooled leather backquiver strap.JPG
tooled leather backquiver strap.JPG (137.99 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Lacing this again was a real Bear, something in the order of 18 hours of frustration, my fingers are raw and stiff. Note - use appropriate leather for lacing do not use el cheapo 3rd grade $5 patent leather look roo hide. No problem with its strength as I cut strips length wise from the hide but it would not stay put in the lacing needles, every pass through the leather and it pulled out - AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I also relined the quiver with roo hide but the glue I used to glue it with before lacing pulled away as I laced - AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :twisted: :twisted: - NOTE use contact glue even if you can only afford a $2 tube of wood glue. So now inside is not a perfect as I wanted but I'm sure arrows will score the lining over the years anyhow.

regards Jacko
Last edited by perry on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

Re: ReNEWed Backquiver

#2 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 am

I don't care what you say mate about the inside. The outside is bloody lovely. Well done! :wink:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

stringnstik

#3 Post by stringnstik » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:18 am

I totally agree, looks magic.
Raw fingers n all and having faced similar trials, bad glue, lacing falling out using the wrong tools its all good for ya :) Builds character :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Mike-dy

#4 Post by Mike-dy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Having made and tooled a few back quivers myself :) I can appreciate the work that has gone into it. Looks great!!
Cheers,
Mike

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:23 am

Very nice Perry, :wink: ..............Rod