Bow tiller variables

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Bow tiller variables

#1 Post by matt61 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 pm

I was just curious about tiller of a bow,would the tiller characteristics of bow have to be different because of bow length or bow design.The reason I ask is that I have two bows made by the the same bowyer,one bow is 52" the other is 56",both where to be tillered for three under release when made.The 52" bow has about 1/16" of difference measured where the limbs meet the riser,the 56" bow has 5/16" difference.
Matt

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bow tiller variables

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Matt,

How do the bows shoot?

Are they selfbows or laminated longbows or recurves?

Are the limbs equal or unequal in length?

If the bows shoot well ie; no hand shock and they hit where you aim I would not be too concerned.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Daryl They are both laminated recurves,there is no handshock and they both shoot great.The limbs are the same lengths.
Thanks
Matt

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:31 pm

matt61 wrote:Hi Daryl They are both laminated recurves,there is no handshock and they both shoot great.The limbs are the same lengths.
Thanks
Matt
Matt, I should have included [Are the limbs equal or unequal in length? when measured from the arrow shelf]

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Daryl
I just measured both of my bows and the limbs are equal lengths.The difference is in the risers with about 80mm from the shelf to start of the top limb and 120mm from the shelf to the start of the bottom limb,so a difference of 40mm and the bows are takedowns.
thanks
Matt