6 strand D97 string

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

6 strand D97 string

#1 Post by clinton miller » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

i thought i had my arrows tuned well but it turns out they are a bit to stiff. now i have about 30 arrows that are two stiff! :x  without being able or wanting to add more point weight or getting a thinner side plate, it seemed my only option was to go for a thinner string. i have been using a 10 strand D97 so i thought i would try a 6 strand and see if i could save my arrows.so i made a 6 strand endless string with padded loops (dacron) BINGO, arrows flying like darts and broadheads grouping with bareshafts out to 20m. it's amazing the effect that string mass has on bow performance. saved my arrows and picked up speed. skinny is good!oh yeah, BTW, i'm talking about my 54# recurve
Last edited by clinton miller on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

otis.drum

Re: 6 strand D97 string

#2 Post by otis.drum » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:32 pm

interesting. i never thought that would make enough difference. is it the string mass or is the thinner string cutting through the air easier, or both???
...otis...

clinton miller

#3 Post by clinton miller » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

both.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:50 pm

possibly also different harmonic / wavemovement in the string too????

Dennis or Grahame Amy undoubtedly could add to this theme.

I reckon this might be a real interesting thread in the making.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Mike-dy

#5 Post by Mike-dy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 pm

String diameter will have an affect on your release too, all getting too technical for me though, I made my latest string out in the garden this morning, took about six yucca leaves :).

Mike,

"Now living in WA" :D :D

clinton miller

#6 Post by clinton miller » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

doesn't change my release cause i triple serve the holding area to fit the nock.

kimall

#7 Post by kimall » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Mate dangerous ground you may upset the better performance police with new technology. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is no surprise to me mate and it is great to have another tuning option to us.
Cheers KIM

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Morning Kev
longbowinfected wrote:possibly also different harmonic / wavemovement in the string too????
IMHO for the time that the bow is accelerating the arrow the string just forms half a wave and after the arrow has left the string it has nil effect on the arrow.

A step back in time - http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7292

One of the things I have noticed as the strings get thinner is that the string continues to vibrate for a longer peiod after the shot - that at a best guess is probably a result of lack of damping in the bow-string system.
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

clinton miller

#9 Post by clinton miller » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am

but wouldn't less mass mean less oscilation after the shot?