Kiddie sized bows & arrows (for really little kids)

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

Kiddie sized bows & arrows (for really little kids)

#1 Post by Mububban » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 pm

I made a single layer boo board bow, 130cm long that would be roughly 10# @ 17 inches. I say "roughly" because my scale starts at 15lb and it doesn't register :) That said, it spat out a slim 28 inch aluminium arrow 5m with surprising zip.

I want to make these bows so the youngest skinniest kids in our group can join in with the older kids. These young 'uns just can't handle a 15-20lb bow yet and they get discouraged when they bust a gut trying to bend a 15lb-er only to have the arrow flop at their feet.

My question is - what sort of arrow would you make for such a short draw length, and light draw weight? Could I cut down some 5/16 shafts with 70 grain heads and plastic nocks, or would they be too heavy still?
I thought of trying 6mm dowel but worry that even for 10lb, it'll be too thin and floppy. Can you get crimp-on bullet-shaped heads?

I'm asking for advice before trying myself because my workspace and spare time to experiment is severely limited. So I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel if someone has done this before :)
Last edited by Mububban on Mon May 03, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bps

Re: Kiddie sized arrows (for really little kids)

#2 Post by bps » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 pm

My daughters longbow is 8#@16" and i use 6mm tas oak shafts for her arrows -- they fly really nice.

..... nocks and points were purchased from John McDonald

Len

#3 Post by Len » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 pm

My kids shoot 1/4" shafts with little field points to match fletched with 2 1/2" feathers. They fly really well. Gav at Wildwood would probably be able to sort out what you need.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:26 pm

5/16" POC arras with those 70 grain heads will be fine. The first bow I made my son was only 10# and I made one for a liitle fella that was only 8# and the POC's worked great.

Jeff

Mububban

#5 Post by Mububban » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks guys :)

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Timely post, thanks Mububban.

This is what the Birthday Bird is bringing my little bloke I June

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/product ... ts_id=7240

he may still be a little young (2 y.o.) but he wants to do what dad is doing and...well he's so cute. Gunna get his BAM = grandmother to make him a little Robin hood outfit and his uncle Perry to make him a little quiver, or show his dad how to make one.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Mububban

#7 Post by Mububban » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:24 pm

My little girl is 18 months old and is a tiny slender little thing so it's good to be able to make something size-appropriate. I'm hoping she shows an interest in archery so I can continue to make her stuff :)

I'll cut down some old unused 5/16th arrows to test alongside some 6mm sahfts. I saw some 6mm hoop pine in my nearest Bunnings but it was horribly bent and seemed super-floppy....kind of put me off a bit. See how we go I suppose.

bps

#8 Post by bps » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm

i did check out the hoop pine shafts as well and even for my daughter's light weight bow i thought that they would still be underspined.

The 6mm tas oak were alot better .....

Mububban

#9 Post by Mububban » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm still waiting on the parts from John but did cut some 17" arrows made of 8mm tassie oak. I stuck on a nock and shot the tapered shaft from the bow, but of course with no head on it they flew upwards. Still, surprisingly zippy for such a lightweight bow.

Would a 70 grain head on a short arrow from such a light bow not be too front-heavy? Should I grind a few mm off the socket to lighten the heads up a bit?

I apologise for my habit of asking questions without experimenting myself first, but I live in uncooperative suburbia so if I were to mess up a shot in my backyard it might just kill the neighbour's dog :oops:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 pm

The 70 gr Taper Hole Target Points should be fine as they are. However they have a rather blunt point so if you wanted to remove some weight perhaps stick them in the chuck of a drill to spin them while holding a file against them to put a longer point taper on them.

Jeff

Mububban

Re: Kiddie sized bows & arrows (for really little kids)

#11 Post by Mububban » Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm

Just an update - I've been making these little 8-10lb bows for the 4-9 year old kids in our medieval group who just can't cope with the 15lb+ bows their older siblings can use.

We put about 200+ arrows through this bow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2v38ELMwho

...throughout the day and the hinge in the top limb didn't snap. I didn't have a straight edge but the bow showed about 2-3 inches of string follow after being strung and shot all day long, and it relaxed to about 1.5 inches of follow after a little while.

I only had the same 5/16th 25" arrows used in this video for the kids to borrow, so they were pulling to 20" and even with the extra weight of the too-long arrow, they flew the ~15m to the target just fine.

I'm really enjoying making these little bows for the kiddies, and loving opening up the world of archery to them too. previously they've strained and struggled with big bows, the arrow has flopped at their feet and they've become discouraged. Now they can draw all the way and see an arrow hit the target, and they love it :D

I'm making arrows for some of the kids to match their bows, just using 8mm tasmanian oak dowel from Bunnings, with 5/16th nocks, 70 grain field points and 3 inch feathers. I cut them to 40% of the bow's length (mostly about 20" arrows for 50" bows) so they can't overdraw the bow and snap it.

Any archery related videos I make can be found by searching for the username Mububban23

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Great to see mate. It is always good to get the kids enjoying themselves.

Jeff

Steven J

#13 Post by Steven J » Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 pm

My kids shoot 1/4 inch shafts with tapered points to match. 3 Rivers have the little points. The feathers are cut down from sheilds to use the front 2". They fly like rockets. On half of the arrows I put a little rubber stopper on (no field points underneath of course).

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Dennis La Varenne

#14 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 am

This is the smallest bow I have ever made. It is for the little bloke pictured who was 2 years old at the time. Dad is having a go at drawing it for scale. If I remember correctly, it drew something like 12 lbs @ 10 inches and put that little 5/16" unfletched arrow through both sides of a plastic 20 litre bucket from 15 metres. It is a self Osage Orange character flatbow with a 6 strand 2 skein Fastflight flemish string which was job in itself to make. It lives still some 16 years later. The little bloke was really putting his back into drawing it here. You can see him grimacing with effort.
Attachments
Nathan's bow.jpg
Nathan's bow.jpg (208.79 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.