bamboo board bow. the other way????

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

bamboo board bow. the other way????

#1 Post by clinton miller » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

has anyone thought of laminating 2-3 boards together then sawing staves out of it the other way. this would make a bow where the original boo lams are bending side on, not end on like a conventional boo board bow.

what's your thoughts?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

longbow steve

Re: bamboo board bow. the other way????

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Not to sure what you are asking but the bamboo flooring comes in both configurations, edge grain and plane sawn so there would be no need to glue. The issue with using it un backed is the violation of the internodes regardless of the configuration. Steve

Mububban

#3 Post by Mububban » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Would there be any performance/durability advantage to doing this, or is it just seeing what the material can cope with?

Mike-dy

#4 Post by Mike-dy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Try it out and let us know, Craig Ekin built a Howard Hill bow called the Lamboo doing something similar. The LVL Iused as a core in my bow is laminated in both planes too, both are Glass backed bows though.
Cheers,
Mike

roscoe

#5 Post by roscoe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:28 pm

CLINTON
I just recently laminated 5 x 5mm bamboo lamelle board and cut out the stave as you said, with the glue lines running from belly to back. It worked fine, but my tillering was a bit rough and next time i will use a rectanglur cross section instead of a D section. I will keep you posted on how the next one goes. I made one the normal way of laminating bows and worked ok to, but once again my tillering is very good yet. The next one i do will be a rectanglur cross section and made with four or five laminations tapered at .002" or .003" inch per inch, just as you would do a glass backed and bellied bow, but with out glass. I thought of laminating the bamboo with the glue lines running from back to belly, cut out the bow profile at .002" inch per inch and then glassing it front and back??? Is this what you were thinking of too?? Maybe some of the other fellows on this site have tried this all ready??... Roscoe