Help Making my First Bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Morsolo

Help Making my First Bow

#1 Post by Morsolo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:01 am

Hey guys,

I've never been into bows that much, but have always had fun the few times I've used them. Personally, I'm more of a gun man myself. But a recent event sparked my interest in Bow Hunting and I am really set on making my own Laminated Longbow. I want to make an English Longbow, but have been told for my first few tries, to just stick to a Flatbow.

I'm - well - entirely new to all this and yes, I'm jumping in perhaps a little far, but I have almost all the tools needed at my disposal and an infinite supply of timber. I've done some searching around the forums and found some very helpful resources and build-a-longs, but I wanted to hear some direct input from you guys.

Where do you think I should begin and any tips and/or hints for a newbie to try to get/avoid?

Also, what types of wood should I be using for my first few tries? My "timber guy" has requested I get the botanical names for the timber, so if you've got them too, it would be much appreciated. I pretty much have until November to come up with a nice looking elaborate bow, so I can try as many times as I want until then. :)

Hopefully I haven't already done something stupid,
- Morsolo

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Help Making my First Bow

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Morsolo,

'I am really set on making my own Laminated Longbow. I want to make an English Longbow, but have been told for my first few tries, to just stick to a Flatbow.'

Do you want to make an all wood laminated bow or are you looking at having a glass back and belly bow using a timber/bamboo core?

Daryl.

Can you put your location on your avatar, can be helpful at times?
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Morsolo

#3 Post by Morsolo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 pm

greybeard wrote:Hi Morsolo,

'I am really set on making my own Laminated Longbow. I want to make an English Longbow, but have been told for my first few tries, to just stick to a Flatbow.'

Do you want to make an all wood laminated bow or are you looking at having a glass back and belly bow using a timber/bamboo core?

Daryl.

Can you put your location on your avatar, can be helpful at times?
I am trying to replicate a sort of "tribal" bow I saw - that I fell in love with - which is all wood, so I'm guessing I'll stick to all wood.

And I forgot to do my profile stuff, I shall update that now. ;)

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:27 pm

'I want to make an English Longbow'

'I am trying to replicate a sort of "tribal" bow I saw - that I fell in love with - which is all wood, so I'm guessing I'll stick to all wood.'

I am somewhat confused, can you post a photo of the bow?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Morsolo

#5 Post by Morsolo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:46 am

greybeard wrote:'I want to make an English Longbow'

'I am trying to replicate a sort of "tribal" bow I saw - that I fell in love with - which is all wood, so I'm guessing I'll stick to all wood.'

I am somewhat confused, can you post a photo of the bow?

Daryl.
I'll see if I can find a picture...

Until I get a picture, scratch the last part. English Longbow, all wood. :)

Len

#6 Post by Len » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am

G'day Morsolo. Get your self to Mathews timbers and get a piece of white ash. Check that the grain runs straight for at least 76 or so inches and you will be able to make an elb. There is two types of elb's; victorian/target or medieval/war bow style. The warbow has no handle and is made to draw 30" +, or to the ear. The victorian style has a grip or handle and is designed to be shot in the modern style like a target bow.
When you get your white ash the edge of the piece of timber will be the back of the bow so make sure you get a piece 30mm or so wide.
Good luck and ask questions.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Morsolo

#7 Post by Morsolo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks Len, my timber guy says he uses Matthews but not often.

He does however say he can get anything from here for nothing: http://www.afttimbers.com/products.htm

Ash - American White is on there, which I assume is the one you mean, it indeed does look like a perfect timber for it. Also, I think I'll be going for the Warbow style, I shall source some images of the bow I want to replicate (after a few tries) as soon as I get home.

And... Leongatha? I've got a fair amount of family in Mirboo North; and my mother was born in Leongatha. :)