Forge Oven?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Forge Oven?

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 am

Morning All

Some questions for the cutlers, etc. I am interested in making a small gas fired forge/oven for making arrowheads.

a) Has anyone made an oven using Hebel blocks? I stumbled across some directions but I am unsure if they were using the equivalent of Hebel blocks.

b) Has anyone made a small gas fired oven? I only want something that will take a six inch length of steel or thereabouts.

This was a project I was looking at the other year and it has resurfaced.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

Re: Forge Oven?

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 am

Not quite the same but have you thought about contacting jewellers or especially SCA jewellers/cutlers?

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 am

This is funny I was going to ask about making a forge myself, but I would like to know how to go about making the burner?
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 pm

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks Steve - and I had even seen that thread however, obviously the brain had forgotten it. :D

That is exactly what I was after. I will use a large propane torch as I already have one.

All it needs to be able to do is get the steel hot enough so it is malleable. I will be off chasing a Hebel block later in the week.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 pm

I have made a couple of gas forges and didn't find them very difficult.
My small model is a truck brake air cylinder with some holes cut in it, I cemented in some cut fire bricks with cement from the wood stove guys, and I made a burner out of some steam pipe and brass tube.

To make the burner I welded a 1 inch pipe to a 1 to 1-1/2 inch junction, then welded on a 1 to 2 inch junction, then welded a female thread to the 2 inch piece then inserted the brass tube in holes I drilled in the side of the threaded section. A short section of male thread is inserted to tighten down and hold the brass tube. The brass tube has a 1/16th inch hole drilled in the side as a jet, and the regulator is a acetylene regulator (the thread goes straight onto a LPG valve)

Heating a knife

A bigger model made from a hot water tank

The reg
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

that gives me somthing to work off.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

terryzac

#8 Post by terryzac » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 am

what were you planning on making in your forge. i use a coal forge myself, but i like the trad feel about coal. the blade smith that is teaching me to make swords has a gas forge made fron a old gas tank off a car. works real well.if you want to see some examples go to the following links. brouse the site it has lots of great info on it.
terry
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=12211
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=14707

DylanK

#9 Post by DylanK » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm

This might be too late, but unless your going to line the inside of the hebel with refractory cement, I wouldnt bother. The hebel started to crack from the inside and eventually broke in two although it still worked when I pushed it together and held it there.

I want a heavier duty forge that wont break on me after a few heat treats but every site I go to I find they line it with Kaowool? I have never heard of it before so Im not sure if its even availible in Australia?

Apologies if I am late and it broke already,

Dylan

nimrod

#10 Post by nimrod » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm

mate theres some good info on www.britishbladesforum.com cheers

MattW

#11 Post by MattW » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 am

You can get kaowool in Australia, you should be able to get it from a welding/industrial supplier. BOC might have some and are quite wide spread.