Fabric backing for a boo board bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mububban

Fabric backing for a boo board bow

#1 Post by Mububban » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

My archery fire has been relit lately :)

When life and weather finally permits I'd like to try backing my first light poundage bamboo floorboard bows with fabric (unless this is a really dumb idea). As these will be learning experience prototypes I'm okay if it robs a little bit of performance. I've heard that these board bows can be prone to lifting on the back so I'd like to bakc it for experience, and longevity.

So....what fabrics can be used that aren't going to cost the earth per metre, and are easily obtained from Spotlight? Linen, cotton, silk?

If I seal the bow once done, is Aquadhere okay to use? Or should I use Titebond?

And as fabric stretches more in one direction than the other, would you want the stretchy dimension to run the length of the bow rather than across it?

Any suggestions, alternatives or tips are greatly appreciated.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Fabric backing for a boo board bow

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm

If it is the uncoated vertical laminated type bamboo flooring a few coats of Aquadhere or Titebond may do the trick.

The first coat could be diluted a little to aid absorbsion into the bamboo and when dry, light sand and apply another coat of less diluted adhesive, light sand when dry and apply a coat of full strength adhesive.

If the theory works out the bamboo fibres should be firmly bonded together. On the down side if the bamboo has been treated to repel water the above could be a waste of time. Throw an offcut into a bucket of water and observe what happens.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mububban

#3 Post by Mububban » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Sorry greybeard I think you misunderstood (although what you wrote about just using glue is very interesting.......)

I meant, do I just use aquadhere to glue the fabric onto the back of the bow, or Titebond, or some other glue?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm

'If the theory works out the bamboo fibres should be firmly bonded together.', I should have added that this should eliminate the need for a fabric backing and all that is needed is a weatherproof sealer applied to the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mububban

#5 Post by Mububban » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am

If I did want to use a sealant for practise, what's recommended? The more natural looking the better. Some sort of estapol?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Septone acrylic top coat clear should work ok. It is UV resistant and is normally used as a finish on automobiles.

Recently I did a test on some timber that soaked up the clear finish like blotting paper. I coated the timber with Aquadhere and when dry I gave it a fine sanding. I applied the clear finish and it worked.

Two months down the track there has been no reaction between the Aquadhere and the clear finish.

Spray cans of Septone clear cost about $16-00 at Supa Cheap Auto. One can will usually cater for three bows with six coats.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:02 am

Morning Kevin
greybeard wrote:Septone acrylic top coat clear should work ok. It is UV resistant and is normally used as a finish on automobiles
Spray cans of Septone clear cost about $16-00 at Supa Cheap Auto. One can will usually cater for three bows with six coats.
The other thing about Septone is:

* It is easy to apply and use.
* It easy to reapply when you get those inevitable scratches.
* If you want a super deep shine you can "buff" it with Car Polish.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brumbies Country

#8 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 am

The use of Titebond or Aquadhere sounds a great idea for this. I am going to show my ignorance here, and it's reflective of the fact that I've so far stuck to one piece selfbows, but for the initial coat dilution what do you use to dilute with.

Mubabbin asked the question with repect to boo boards, but could this approach re backing be used for other woods?

Simon

Brumbies Country

#9 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Answered my own question today. Got a raised spinter in a hickory pyramid bow I made over Christmas accompanied by an audible crack when I first drew it . Almost threw it away. Put three coats of Titebond 3 on the back today with special attention to the splinter out of the back. Bound the splinter with linen thread ( grateful thanks to Looseplucker) and it looks like it's held together pretty well. Shot 20 odd arrows out of it tonight and looking promising at this stage. Clunky looking thing and well above my normal draw weight, but maybe will be OK after all.