all parallel

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

all parallel

#1 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 pm

i finished the all paralell lam. bow this morning,it ended up going 65lb at 28 because i made a mistake with the tip width somehow they were 5\8th instead of half inch so i redid them and lost 5lb,i compared it to my 70lb flat layed and 70lb reflexed bows using the same 615grn arrow and it was around 5fps faster at 175fps no where near Kims 200.

the handle is burdikin plum i liked the grain in this one
tip overlays are b.plum red and white glass
lams were tulipwood and vertical bamboo

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: all parallel

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:44 pm

LB rod 55,
if you don't mind me asking and you don't mind telling, what is the thickness of each of your parallel laminations. Are they all the same thickness or do they vary depending on the poundage required, I understand to increase the poundage you increase the thickness and in reverse for a lighter poundage. What I'm asking what is the thickness of each lamination are they the same ...eg.... six laminations at sixty thou thick, or are the laminations ...eg.. two @ 0.060, two @ 0.50 and two @ 0.40. I hope this explains the answers I'm after.

thanks..............oh! and again another great looking bow 8) 8) 8) 8) ..........Bill
Last edited by Bill on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:48 pm

thanks Bill this one has 3x80thou and one 70th.on the belly,50th glass,just a lucky guess getting the weight i wanted cause its the first time using all par........thanks Tony,this one is just an experiment i'm going to put a heap of arrows through it and see how it goes seems a bit noisy now but ive made a new string for it so will play with brace height and arrows see what happens..........................Rod

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm

That sure looks good, Rod! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

kimall

#5 Post by kimall » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Nice mate well done again what string material are you using mate.If dacron let me know I will make you a PROPER one for you to try that should give you 5-8 fps more and quiet it down a bit for you.I would not expect a flat laid bow to be as fast as the D/R version and think that you should be very happy with the performance with this one because if I understood you right you said that it is faster than the other bows similiar weight yes.In trad bow terms 5 fps at the top end is a big step and you are already making bows faster than heaps of the big name bows out there so keep nibbling away at the small gains.You are so much more professional then me I didnt even measure the lam thickness on that fast one I made they just kind of looked right. :oops:
Cheers KIM
PS Let me know if you want a string......

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

thanks Ben,thanks Kim,ive just put a D97 flemish on it and i adjusted the brace ,and its not too bad now,what style of string do you make,the form i used for this one is flat layed ,but the last foot of each limb is reflexed an inch,i bought it off a bloke with some other bow making gear its pretty old i think,i try to keep records of lam thickness from one bow to the other,ill take that string if you dont mind so i can compare thanks mate .......................Rod

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 pm

looks the goods rod.

[quote="kimall"] they just kind of looked right. :oops:
quote]

that's what i aim for :mrgreen:
...otis...

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Mate if you are using that string material then mine wont help you much I thought you may be using Dacron.I can still make you one what is the bow length.? I really believe it is the deflex that gives the extra grunt.If you have a D/R bow on the tiller tree put a longer string on it that allows it to have the unbraced shape and then pull down on the string and feel how it snaps back and forth at the limb tips as you pull the bow to brace position and then take the pressure off.It suprised me thats for sure.(Try it I dare you) :D
Cheers KIM

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 pm

i'll try that next D\R that i'm making in the next couple of weeks, :D the bow is 68 ntn :wink: .....................Rod

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 pm

i put a heap of arrows through it today,played with the brace height a bit more ,i'm happy with it,its pretty quiet and the arrows are flying good see how it goes in Gladstone next month :D ..................Rod

roscoe

#11 Post by roscoe » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:13 pm

rod
thanks for the pics and info on your new bow and how it shoots. The bow looks good.... Roscoe

ivorycollector

#12 Post by ivorycollector » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:28 am

Great looking bow Rod. So you think parallels is the way to go then?

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 pm

No worries Roscoe,thanks Seiwho ,only draw back i've noticed is it hasnt got quite as much cast as the taperd lam bows around the same poundage ,but i've only put around a hundred arrows through it,next bow i'm thinking of doing is mild Deflex Reflex using 2xpara.2x2th.per in tapers,see how it shoots..................Rod

otis.drum

#14 Post by otis.drum » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:06 pm

chuck in a reverse like glenn does. see how that goes.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 pm

yeah but a reverse taper with a taper running the oposite way is the same as a paralell :mrgreen: ...............Rod

otis.drum

#16 Post by otis.drum » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:37 pm

yes it could be, but he doesn't use one of each, and he doesn't use the same thou per inch tapers for forwards and reverse lams.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:35 pm

yeah you could be right or maybe i am or we could both be wrong,i'm confused having a beer and it hurts to think i think :? yeah i know Glenns been having alot of success with the reverse lams..................Rod