First lam bow on the form.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike-dy

Re: First lam bow on the form.

#31 Post by Mike-dy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:38 am

Trad Bound wrote:
So what will you be shooting at LB 100? the Jarweth, Howard Hill or this new one.
Cheers TonyJ
I'll have all three with me plus something a little unusual, Still like shooting my Jarweth though. See you next weekend :lol: :lol:

Gringa Bows

#32 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:08 am

how did the silky oak-bamboo bow turn out Mike,any pics...............Rod

Mike-dy

#33 Post by Mike-dy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:01 am

It looked good till it broke :( :( :( , but I know why and I'm not tellin' :oops: :oops:
Number two is of the form and will be roughed out today.
The silky oak looked fantanstic under the clear glass, will be building another one of them without the issue I had that caused the failure :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Mike

pdccr

#34 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

In regards to grain on lams does it matter so much about runoff as it does with selfbows? I bought some really nice spotted gum today for 4 selfbows and some pieces of smaller bits but the grain isn't that flash with some run off.

Are most hardwoods good for lams?
Cheers, Toby

longbow steve

#35 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Not as critical Toby provided you use numerous laminations however straight grain is always preferable.
Spotted gum is on the heavy side for a lamination but the limb dimension will be less due to its stiffness than say bamboo. Steve

pdccr

#36 Post by pdccr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Steve, I have some nice decking that i am keeping for selfbows as the grain is near perfect, i have some not so great boards with some slight grain run-off that i was looking at using for lams. The only problem is that i wont be using any glass so it will be all wood.

I think i will use them but mix them in with some straight grain stuff.
Cheers, Toby

Steven J

#37 Post by Steven J » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Well done Mike. I look forward to seeing the progress made.

My advice is to ensure that every step is completed to perfection. You will develop your own procedure for shaping the bow, but as you complete each step make sure that it is done properly. This way of thinking actually speeds up production as I don't have to go back a step and tidy things up that should have been done previously.

I'd love to hear about the tools you are using to put your bow together.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

longbow steve

#38 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 am

pdccr wrote:Steve, I have some nice decking that i am keeping for selfbows as the grain is near perfect, i have some not so great boards with some slight grain run-off that i was looking at using for lams. The only problem is that i wont be using any glass so it will be all wood.

I think i will use them but mix them in with some straight grain stuff.
Hi Toby, grain run out on the side of the board, you could expect it to raise a splinter on the back but if it is laminated beneath a straight backing it should be ok. I suppose being aware of where the grain issues are and alternating your lams would be the best way to combat failure. Steve

pdccr

#39 Post by pdccr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 am

Ok good because i was starting to think that they were almost useless for bows.
Cheers, Toby

Mike-dy

#40 Post by Mike-dy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Although the first was a beautiful looking failure the second one of is a shooter!
35lb at 28", 68" ntn and puts a 670gn arrow through the Chronograph at 130fps with a 16 strand B50 flemish string. Some more fine tuning and finishing of to do but it is possible now that I could shoot the LB100 this weekend using entirely self made equipment.
Pics too follow but this one looks a bit more industrial than the silky oak and Sugar gum bow.
Black glass over LVL lams, Western Myall hill style handle, African ebony nock overlays.
Cheers,
Mike

Gringa Bows

#41 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Glad to hear its a shooter Mike.................Rod

Steven J

#42 Post by Steven J » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Glad to hear that you are not put off by failures. I have a dozen or more on a rack in the workshop. If anyone here is so good that they never stuff up their bows, I have plenty to give away :lol:

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#43 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Steven J wrote:Glad to hear that you are not put off by failures. I have a dozen or more on a rack in the workshop. If anyone here is so good that they never stuff up their bows, I have plenty to give away :lol:

Steve
I cut up about ten last year that had accumulated over the last four or five years. Had to make them shorter to fit in the wheelie bin. They were never thought of as failures but as part of a learning curve.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mike-dy

#44 Post by Mike-dy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:31 am

I expect a few more to fail as I play around with some ideas I have. Very happy though with both first attempts.
Cheers,
Mike