hardly a longbow! with pics

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

otis.drum

hardly a longbow! with pics

#1 Post by otis.drum » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:51 am

well i just had my father up to weipa for a couple of weeks as my partner and i spent our second Christmas away from our families :cry: it was great to have family to spend this special time with :) amongst other things we saw a croc at the northern tip of oz, got bogged a couple of times (probably not the time of year to traverse the telegraph track, especially after 8" of rain :oops: ), took him to get himself an 80 odd kilo rifle shot boar, watched a couple of storms and generally enjoyed the company... while here i decided to make him a longbow. anyway i thought i would throw up a few photos of it.

this time the reflex almost became recurve :oops: infact the string comes so close to resting on the limbs that a really close inspection is needed to see the small gap. and so it is by the slightest of margins that this is a longbow. though i'm sure some of you will feel it's a recurve, and that's fine :)
6.JPG
6.JPG (36.4 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
my father shot my partners 45#@28" defiant and said he wanted something lighter, so i made him a light one, and he was very happy with the end result of 35#@28" and 67" long.
1.JPG
1.JPG (31.66 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
i used a combination of wood in this bow. the limbs as always are tulip oak and under clear glass. the riser is made of bloodwood and spotted gum, accent on the back is bloodwood, and for the grip area i used what i think is tassie oak or ash, and the dark pieces are, i think, sally wattle. fair bit of thinking in there :oops:
53.JPG
53.JPG (36.89 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
you can see on the bottom of the riser my dads version of a plane, signifying his flying and holiday to visit. my father has pretty massive hands, and so the riser is a fair bit bigger than i usual do. though it is still very comfortable and nice to shoot.
56.JPG
56.JPG (39.74 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
bloodwood along the back of the riser for finger groves.
14.JPG
14.JPG (28.31 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
i took a lot of wood out of the riser below the grip. mainly for looks, but also to trim a bit of weight out and balance up the bow. the spotted gum makes it pretty heavy with such a big riser. i like the shape the carved out section below the handle. it did however make for some more sanding!
9.JPG
9.JPG (23.49 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
keeping with the rest of the bow i used bloodwood and spotted gum on the tips, and a piece of black glass to top them off. i chose fairly simple shaped tips for this bow. i love the colour of the bloodwood and the black glass really brings the red out in it. a couple of pics of the tips.
22.JPG
22.JPG (24.27 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
25.JPG
25.JPG (22.79 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
for finishing the bow i have been using a gloss enamel, but didn't like the really gloss finish, so lately i have been doing a couple of final coats whilst holding the spray can well back from the bow, and only using enough to leave a satin finish. it blends better and up close looks much better IMO. on the bow rack it doesn't stand out as much as the gloss bows but up close and in full sun it looks really good. i'm wondering if our glossy finished bows let the animals know we are coming when out hunting? and if this may be an advantage? DrumBows :mrgreen:
11.JPG
11.JPG (46.05 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
64.JPG
64.JPG (21.35 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Last edited by otis.drum on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

Re: only just a longbow! with pics

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 am

looks real good Otis,whether its classed as a longbow or recurve,catchy name Drum bows..............Rod

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:28 am

Very nice bow mate well done and nothing wrong with a bit of extra wood in the riser it smooths them done a bit too I rekon.
Cheers KIM

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 am

Good to hear you had a good time over Christmas. It looks like you have done an excellent job with your Dad's bow. I like the finish on the bow as I also think a satin finish looks better than a gloss. When hunting I still use thin tight fitting bow socks to stop any reflection and stop scratches etc.

I like the name of your bows and also your Dad's plane; really makes it special. :D
this time the reflex almost became recurve
Almost? It is a recurve; a semi-recurve actually. The recurve/reflex is easily seen. The fact that the string does or does not touch the limb has nothing to do with whether it is a recurve or not, limb design does. :D

Jeff

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:42 am

thanks guys!

haha, i knew i'd get a comment from you jeff. like i said i don't mind what it gets called. longbow, recurved longbow, recurve... it's just another bow to me.

i had to stop dad at the little plane and 'weipa 09' he wrote on it or he would have written all over the thing! this bow is called 'Gut Shot Wolf', which refers to some lyrics from a Tom Waits song he and i laugh at. Tom waits describes how cold it is with...

"It's colder than a gut shot bitch wolf dog with 9 sucking pups pullin' a no.4 trap
up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full
of porcupine quills."

so some more means for us there!

thanks Kim, the bow finished up nicely. i rekon it could be drawn to 45" so while i agree some more size/weight in the riser is good, this bow wasn't exactly a high performer and probably didn't require it for that. dad could near choke and elephant with one hand though, so the size was needed to fill his paw.

thanks rod, couldn't think of any other name so that'll do it. not that i'm looking at going into business or full production, but good to have my name on it.
...otis...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:12 pm

It seems like your dad was pretty stoked with his bow and having the owner of the bow being wrapped with it is one of the most satisfying things about making bows I reckon. :D
couldn't think of any other name so that'll do it. not that i'm looking at going into business or full production, but good to have my name on it.
Absolutely, it's good to have your name on a bow you crafted.

Jeff

otis.drum

Re: hardly a longbow! with pics

#7 Post by otis.drum » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:15 pm

jeff, i changed the name. 'hardly a longbow' :mrgreen:
...otis...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:21 pm

'hardly a longbow'
:lol:

Jeff

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 pm

What a great thing to do for your Dad! He would have been so proud of the level of skill his son has attained and will treasure this bow until his last day. Well done. :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Benny Nganabbarru

#10 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Wonderful job, Otis!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

nimrod

#11 Post by nimrod » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:02 am

very nice work there mate like the colours

clinton miller

#12 Post by clinton miller » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 pm

hmmmm........what could you call it........DrumStik :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Bill » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:23 pm

ditto :) ditto as to the words expressed by Moreton, truly a job well done.

otis.drum

#14 Post by otis.drum » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:06 pm

haha clinton, smart ass hey, i might pass on that one :mrgreen: or maybe i'll call my selfbows DrumStik :)

thanks moreton, thanks ben, bill and nimrod.
...otis...