CRESTING JIG

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeffro

CRESTING JIG

#1 Post by Jeffro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:19 am

I finished my cresting jig recently.Although I dont use a lot of wooden arrows now you can still crest carbons if you want to I suppose.
I made the bracket that holds the motor and the nock reciever I made from a hole saw.I drilled it out the right size for the shaft and welded part of a large washer onto it after cutting a groove to fit the nocks.
I dont like the tube idea as a nock reciever because it allows for a bit too much wobble and wanted something more balanced.
The arrow is resting on a roller from a sliding door and it will spin an arrow with minimal wobble.A carbon arrow does not wobble at all and the only wobble comes from wood arrows that are slightly bent.
I used a universal dimmer for the speed control and it will spin quite slow no problem or very fast.I also use it when I need to wash\clean blood off feathers.I just clean them and then spin the arrow to get them to take their form again.Saves having to steam them back into shape.

longbow steve

Re: CRESTING JIG

#2 Post by longbow steve » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:24 am

A few good ideas there Jeff, I might have to get my machine out and modify it with your ideas :) . Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Good job there Jeffro.

I like to have the point end of the shafts in the motor end and have the rollers adjustable so you can move them in or out close to where you are going to crest as this helps eliminate any wobble that there might be.

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Nice Jeffro beats buying one. Will just have to convert you back to wood so you can get into the creating fix. he he.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.