padding the loops of an endless string....a how to.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

padding the loops of an endless string....a how to.

#1 Post by clinton miller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm

i make my own endless strings and started out shooting dacron on my recurve, however i recently made the switch to D97 "semiskinny" strings. this lead me into padding the loops.

i used to tie a knot in the last strand to complete all the lays but now i overlap them and serve over the top. you''l see later. this method got me thinking of how to pad the loops easily.
so here it goes, my 1st 'how to'. apologies if this method has already been explained somewhere before. it's something i worked out myself and thought i would share.
it's just a demo on how to pad the loops not the complete making of a string.

firstly lay out the strands on your jig, (do you like the jig i made?) what i do now is tie the 1st strand to the outside post, run out the strands for whatever strand count you are using then on the last strand come past the outside post, around and tie it off to the inside post. this gives you 1 strand more between these posts
and hence this loop than the other.

this is what i'm talking about.

as usual turn your posts 90 degrees.

now in a similar fashion get your padding material and tie it off on 1 post, i tie a little below where the main string body is to make it easier. now lay strands around the two posts to make up what ever strand count you want in the loops. i have been adding 1 padding strand for every strand in the loop. eg- the string pictured is a 10 strand D97, that means there is 5 strands in the loops. so then i put 5 padding strands in to make the loops the same strand count as the main string body. however as pictured the 1st loop will have an extra stand in it. i just put 1 less padding strand there to still end up with the loop having 10 strands. no rules here pad more or less if you want. just remember when you actually turn the posts again and form the loop you'll have double the strand count, (in this case 20 strands), until you start tapering it. later...

as per normal measure your loop length.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

clinton miller

Re: padding the loops of an endless string....a how to.

#2 Post by clinton miller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm

start serving the loop. remember to start 1/4" outside your 1st mark to allow some serving overlap when you turn the posts again and form the loop.

stop serving when you reach your 2nd mark. now then, to turn the posts straight and set the loop you'll have to cut the padding strands. think about it now!! the strands to be cut are on the inside of the main string body. cut these then turn the posts straight.

then move the string body on the jig to set the loop. where you stopped serving should be 1/4" behind where you started
now without having cut the serving thread i start to serve the main string body. get your overlap right then bring the server up underneath then over the far bundle.

then down between the bundles.

pull snuggly and now you find yourself serving in the same direction as you started and it locks the two bundles together nicely.
serve for a little way then start cutting some padding strands off then serve some more then cut out some more strands and keep serving in order to taper it in. plenty of wax helps here.

now you have to do the other end.......

hope this helps, clint.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Good photos and explanation Clinton. I'm sure that will benefit those who make endless strings. Thanks for posting it up.

Jeff

otis.drum

#4 Post by otis.drum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:58 am

very thorough clint. pictures are clear and instructions are easy to follow... are the extra padding loops D-97 or dacron? would you make your jig fold up next time? perhaps telescopic ?

can i ask (not question) you, or anyone for that matter, why use the endless string method? what benefit does it have over the flem twist? is it quicker? stronger? lighter? thinner? or just a personal preference?
...otis...

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:44 am

i use dacron as padding.
i would just make both post assemblies able to be pulled off the main box section next time. it works really good as is though.

endless VS flemish?? just personal preference i think. i can make a better quality endless string than i can flemish so thats why i use them.

otis.drum

#6 Post by otis.drum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 am

ok thanks... yeah i'll stick with the flem twist as glenn showed me. haven't had any probs with them.

yeah i don't doubt the jig works well at all, just thought for transport it would be handy if it slid up inside itself to make it only a couple of feet long when packed away. then you might not have to take the post off but turn them to line up with the box section and it would lay flat in a small area.

anyway, i like it.
...otis...