Kyudo - Yumis being shot

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Kyudo - Yumis being shot

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:44 am

Morning All

For those interested in Yumis a film clip recently posted on YouTube.

The Black ones are Fibreglas or Carbon Fibre and sound completey different to my Bamboo one.

The one I have is almost silent.

Watch the clip at 1:50. I also have managed that particular maneuver with my bow. You hold the Yumi with a very light and loose grip and if you do it corect the Yumi rotates in your hand (I haven't mastered the rotate bit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6AVe8h-jeQ
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jcm

Re: Kyudo - Yumis being shot

#2 Post by jcm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:31 am

Success the sound of arrow hitting target .
For a moment the watcher is one with the archers.
Then the it ends
Silence.

John

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 am

Are you going to get the full outfit as well?
That would be likely to create some extra interest.
They cannot accommodate tent sizes as all the silkworms would be off important peak export production, so I cannot get an outfit. If you give me your current bow after you make another new improved one......I would love to keep it company for you.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:37 am

Hi Kevin, et al.

There is now a line of people formed who want the bow (my one). They all seem to love it.

No, I have no intention of getting all the clobber. However, the person at the front of the list of people who want the bow seems suitably dressed.
kenji.jpg
kenji.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
It will be moving to his house post Xmas - but I have made it conditional in that I get it back for special occasions. Number 2 on the list wants to shoot a trad shoot with it and he was shooting it very nicely on Staurday afternoon. I may just have to build the improved Mk II version with more highly recurved tips.

Numbers 3 and 4 are still arguing over who is third and who is fourth. This will change when they see my next project.

You are either number 6 or 7 who wants the bow.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 am

Grahame,

if there are seven of us, close the books and let each of us have it for one day a week.....my day is either Saturday or Sunday. If 5 more put their greedy mitts up perhaps we should get it for a month each......mine is a 5 week month.

The height of archery flattery is undisguised lust for a bow........
Consider yourself well complimented.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

NCArcher

#6 Post by NCArcher » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:18 pm

GrahameA wrote:Watch the clip at 1:50. I also have managed that particular maneuver with my bow. You hold the Yumi with a very light and loose grip and if you do it corect the Yumi rotates in your hand (I haven't mastered the rotate bit).
:lol: I think we have all managed that maneuver at one time or another. Just looked at the pics of the finished bow. Looks great. You won't get the bow to rotate unless you shoot with the arrow on the outside (right for a right hander) of the bow.
As an interesting aside, there are no left hand Yumi. All kyudokas shoot right handed. The emperor (or nowadays the official) sits to the right of the archers. To shoot left handed you would have to turn your back on him. :shock: Very disrespectful. Or so i was told. That rule may have been relaxed for all i know.

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Interesting.......those Catholic teaching nuns[whack a weirdo leftie every day] really got around in the past.
Viva the left handed rebels.
In ASNSW many of the longbow masters are left handed.
The last two shoots everyone on my target was lefthanded.....wonder how long before the floodgates open in Japan?

Kevin

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:51 am

Morning All
longbowinfected wrote:if there are seven of us, close the books and let each of us have it for one day a week.....my day is either Saturday or Sunday. If 5 more put their greedy mitts up perhaps we should get it for a month each......mine is a 5 week month.
I took the easy way out. It is moving to Kenji's (aka James) place tonight. I will have it back for both the North Albert Trad Shoot and for the AA Nationals. So people wil be able to try it at the North Albert shoot or at the Nationasl - and hopefully I will have some long arrows made by then. :mrgreen:

I will start thinking about number 2 post the Xmas. I have a number of other projects on the list to finish first. Why does that list keep on growing - I added a Shinai to it yesterday.... hmmmmm......

Has anyone noticed that in that video clip they are shooting Alloy arrows - you can hear the distinctive tinkle sound.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am

The fellow who shoots his at Liverpool every/most Wednesdays uses alloys bought from Japan.
They are really fat and 36 inches long with 6 inch full feathers.
His is a fibreglass reproduction and it dos not tinkle it pings very loudly like a tubular bell.
That can be offputting. At first my instinct was to duck whilstat full draw.
You could not use them to hunt with.

Kevin

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Kevin
longbowinfected wrote:His is a fibreglass reproduction and it dos not tinkle it pings very loudly like a tubular bell.
That can be offputting. At first my instinct was to duck whilstat full draw.
You just need some appropriate training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC8wc-6GHo
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#11 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 am

Yelling / talking is easy to shut out.....I have received that training at home.
The metallic ping realy penetrates and even if coming from the side sounds like a compound bow coming apart from behind.... you would swear that bow components under full draw plus arrow are about to render you asunder......it is just one of THOSE wrong sounds like fingernails scraping on a chalk board. Hate to hear 20 - 30 similar bows going off.

Kevin