Bear Bow restoration

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Cody Roiter

Bear Bow restoration

#1 Post by Cody Roiter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:19 am

Hello Guys, With the 28 old bows I got there are a few that need a restoration.. Well I picked out one that looked like it needed more work then the others.. So I picked out the 1960s Bear Polar.. As you will see in the photo there was a bad place where some glass on the side came up.. At first I didnt think it could be glued back down.. But thanks to BowDoc he said give her hell and it should work.. So After I got my glue mixed up and put in place I used some C-Clamps and some tape to hold the glass down.. After I let it set for a few days I took the tape and clamps off. And then the fun started Sanding.. As you will see you can see that bad spot but it dose not look as bad as before... well after that was done I started on the limbs I took my time in making sure I didnt sand to much off in one place..Well After the limbs where done I started on the riser and took the coin out ( see tools I used for that :lol: :lol: ) Sorry Guys i should have took more pics but it dose not help when one person is doing it all.. Well once I did that I started on the string nocks and riser and nock overlays.. I didnt remove the nock or riser over lays as they just needed to be redone so thats what I did.... I will add more text later as I am still working on the bow here in the shop...

Later Guys,

Cody

Here is Before where the glass came up at

Here is after I glued it back down.. Before I started sanding

After sanding ( dose not look so bad)

Know before we get to far here are the tools that will be needed ( LMAO NOT!)

1) The blow torch you never know when you will need to heat up something up.or you get really ****** off and want to start something on fire.. :lol:
2)Handsaw they come in handy for cuting glass or cutting the arrowself down like I did ( NOT)
3)number three is the best thing ever the BFH Because you never know when you will need to thorw it at the wall and or remove the coin :o )

This is how I removed the coin ( NOT!!)

No if you take your time the coin should come out very easy..
Here is where I cut out the arrows rest ( NOT!)

Here are some more pics for you to enjoy...

Here is the riser overlay I am working on..

Nock tips

I still have not removed the logo's I tryed to call Doc to ask him how I should go about this..

Here you can see I started work on the riser( its an I-beam but I am unsure of what wood)

After it was sanded down I ran a wet rag over it..

Here is most of the bow so far..( more pics coming later tonite I hope)

O and here is the tool I will used to reglue the nock overlays back on with :o :o

Cody Roiter

Gringa Bows

Re: Bear Bow restoration

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:02 pm

i think your being too gentle with it mate :shock: ,should look good when your finished......Rod