Yumi with Greybeard Sensei (Pic Heavy)

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Yumi with Greybeard Sensei (Pic Heavy)

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Afternoon All

Some time ago I started a list of bows I wanted to build. On that list was a Yumi albeit a fair way down the list.

Then the other week I stumbled across an interesting print on ATARN. This was the print and what intrigued me was the shape of the bows that were being shot and that they were almost symmetrical.
yumi_start.JPG
yumi_start.JPG (33.95 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Anyhow one thing led to another and I ended up doing a lot of reading about Japanese Yumis and how they were made. Plus Daryl, aka Greybeard, had some Bamboo and he has a fair bit of experience working with Bamboo.

So that was it over a cup of Coffee the decision was made to have a go at a Yumi - and a Bamboo one at that.

So here we go. :D

Step 1.

Get a piece of bamboo and cut the back and belly laminations. Then sand off the backs of nodes.
yumi01.jpg
yumi01.jpg (76.66 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Then using a sharp spokeshave - and when I say sharp I mean sharp - set to a fine cut cut down the back of your lamination until it is all smooth and around 1/8" thick - ignore the thickening at the nodes.
yumi02.jpg
yumi02.jpg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Then make another to match the one you just made - that will give you one for the back and one for the belly.
yumi03.jpg
yumi03.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Note: that because the Yumi has a timber wedge at the nocks and only the back lamination appears to run the full length you will need to cut the belly lamination shorter.
yumi04.jpg
yumi04.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
yumi05.jpg
yumi05.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
And then you get to spokshave down that lamination - with your razor sharp spokeshave set real fine.
yumi06.jpg
yumi06.jpg (55.43 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Those pencllied areas are high points which have to brought down.
yumi07.jpg
yumi07.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
\

Note those shavings are paper thin. If they are not you run the risk of damaging the lamination.
yumi09.jpg
yumi09.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
And as with all such things you get to sand the laminations to remove the hills an hollows and it helps you to appreciate the cooler days of winter.
yumi08.jpg
yumi08.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 85339 times
Continued on next post.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

GrahameA

Re: Yumi with Greybeard Sensei

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 pm

So more on the Yumi. :D

So now you can clamp your back and belly laminations together and make them the same.
yumi10.jpg
yumi10.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Using your trusty razor sharp spokeshave.
yumi11.jpg
yumi11.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Okay time for some core material. Grab a Bamboo floorbaord and cut in half. Then grind off the finish.
yumi12.jpg
yumi12.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Then feed it through the bandsaw to make some lam' blanks.
yumi13.jpg
yumi13.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
And try it in the form. That is a Torges adjustable form.
yumi14.jpg
yumi14.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
And play around with it till you get the shape you want. :D
yumi15.jpg
yumi15.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Then glue all the core lam's together. Note that I have had to splice one of the lam's to get the length.
yumi16.jpg
yumi16.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Three laminations, some glue and a few clamps later. That can sit overnight for the glue to go off.
yumi17.jpg
yumi17.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Next day - "Hey Presto". The core of a Yumi.
yumi18.jpg
yumi18.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Get all the glue dags off.
yumi19.jpg
yumi19.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 85333 times
Continued on next post.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Trying the wedges for size, shape and fit.
yumi20.jpg
yumi20.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
Out with the spokeshave and form the end wedges.
yumi21.jpg
yumi21.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
And glue the wedges on - then you get to wait until tomorrow.
yumi22.jpg
yumi22.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
yumi23.jpg
yumi23.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
Next day glue on the back lamination.
yumi24.jpg
yumi24.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
And a day later sand the core to match the back lamination.
yumi25.jpg
yumi25.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
And then glue on the other lam.
yumi26.jpg
yumi26.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
yumi27.jpg
yumi27.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
The whole bow was pretty sloppy at this stage and I was a little concerned that it might be a bit light. However Greybeard Sensie suggested that the addition of the last lam would stiffen it a bit. (This will be know forever as the understatement of the Century.)
yumi28.jpg
yumi28.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
Next day - clean up the dags and then spokeshave off the edges till the bow is all cleaned up and tapers nicely.

Hmm..... Greybeard Sensei was right about that last lam stiffening things up. Let me put it terms everyone will undertand - even Arnold Schwarzenger was not go to use this bow. :shock:

So here i am sawing the bow down the middle Lamination. :roll:
yumi29.jpg
yumi29.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 85330 times
Continued in next post.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:17 pm

After sawing the bow down the middle Lamination one gets to shokeshave it back to a glue line on each piece. :D
yumi30.jpg
yumi30.jpg (85.25 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
You can see the colour change as you come to the glue line. It is just like following a growth ring on a self bow.
yumi31.jpg
yumi31.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
Several hours and a lot of sweat later you glue the two halves together and head off for a cool shower. Humour is not high at this point.
yumi32.jpg
yumi32.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
Next day. Challenge 1 is to string it and get it on the tiller board. (And it is somewhat lighter than yesterday.)
yumi33.jpg
yumi33.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
Greybeard Sensei.
yumi34.jpg
yumi34.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
Making a really long string.
yumi35.jpg
yumi35.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
"Shazammm"

An asymmetrical bow. And I can draw it.
yumi36.jpg
yumi36.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
Well it shoots. Next job is put some bindings on the wedges and then shoot a few arrows through it to see if it wants to change. Then on go the fancy bindings.
yumi37.jpg
yumi37.jpg (76.37 KiB) Viewed 85327 times
So if you are feeling bored and have a bit of spare time - a project.

And. "Thanks, Daryl". Another series of lessons learnt from the Sensei.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.

maurizio

#5 Post by maurizio » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm

wow!!! what an odyssey!! graet job!!!

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:09 pm

one of the guys at Liverpool shoots 36 inch arrows in the bow with is Yumi.....full length flights.
I think the Yumi looks better shot your way.......what was it like? smooth? fast?

Great work sensei and grasshopper.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

jcm

#7 Post by jcm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Arigato gozaimaso.
Deshi and Sensei
Regards
John

shikari

#8 Post by shikari » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 am

Excellent job,I think you might find this very interesting.http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/22774
Regards
P.J.

ichiban

#9 Post by ichiban » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:17 am

sugoio, kore wa boku no ichiban ga suki desu! any way nice one how much reflex is in there?? have you determined they type of yumi it is? ihave a book about the yumis and its a good read but it focuses more on kyudo as a sport and its traditions
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:21 am

Good Morning All
maurizio wrote:wow!!! what an odyssey!! graet job!!!
Odyssey - yes, that is apt description. However, I did learn a lot. :D
Longbow... wrote:one of the guys at Liverpool shoots 36 inch arrows in the bow with is Yumi.....full length flights.
I think the Yumi looks better shot your way.......what was it like? smooth? fast?
I need to make arrows for it. Only having shot a few short arrows through it I am at a loss to describe it. I would say it shoots like a Bamboo backed bow. With longer arrows I expect it to be fast.
jcm wrote:Arigato gozaimaso.
Thanks John. Deshi is an apt description. Only a few more years of learning to go.
Tony wrote:Congratulations on the bow and fantastic post, I found that really interesting!
Thanks Tony - I am glad you enjoyed and I hope I have inspired you to, "have a go"
shikari wrote:Excellent job,I think you might find this very interesting.http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/22774
Read the post - not quite ready for doing one that way.
ichiban wrote:any way nice one how much reflex is in there?? have you determined they type of yumi it is?
It started with about 12" but it has dropped a lot. Probably about 4" now.

As to the type of Yumi - Well an old style and I will leave it at that. Do not know anywhere near enough about them. But I do want to build another. This is not a Kyudo bow - much to heavy for your average Kyudo shooter. :D

Have a look at the woodcut on this page.
http://www.tokumeikan.com/equipment.htm

~~~~~

Intentions are to shoot this one a bit and get it sorted out - it is a whole new world for me. Then I may be in a better position to make some comments about it.

The limb length ratio is 39 to 51. Modern Yumis are 33 to 66
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

Glenn

Re: Yumi with Greybeard Sensei (Pic Heavy)

#11 Post by Glenn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 am

Good job Grahame, looks as though that would have been an interesting project. Good to see you had an old hand looking over your sholder now and then having tea and biscuits......Glenn......

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:15 pm

good job Grahame,and it could double as a surf rod :wink: ...............Rod

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Looks like a fun project Grahame, a shame you had to cut it down the middle to get the weight down.
I have just prepped some strips of bamboo for a bamboo back and belly bow to preceed my Yumi attempt :) . Steve

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:56 pm

What a learning curve.

Although I have made several longbows incorporating bamboo for the back and belly laminations it was a new ball game when guesstimating core thickness as well as back and belly laminations for such a long bow.

Bamboo is full of surprises when used for the outer laminations. I am confident that Grahame will back me up on this statement.

Obtaining the desired draw weight can be difficult as I have found that bamboo back and belly longbows [depending on core material] can lose up to 10# when shot in.

This exercise has taught me that when trying to make an asymmetrical bow around eighty inches in length you need to throw western thinking out the window.

The final product may not quite resemble what we may have envisaged in our minds but at least Grahame has a shootable bow.

In essence if we do not experiment we will not learn.

I give due credit to the aspiring bowyers on this site who are willing to think outside the square and have a go.

Daryl.

ps. Spot gets nervous when Grahame braces a bow.
Attachments
Spot.jpg
Spot.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 85141 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:57 am

Good Morning Steve
longbow steve wrote:Looks like a fun project Grahame, a shame you had to cut it down the middle to get the weight down.
"Yes" and "No". If I had not done it I would never have been able to shoot the bow and in the processing of doing so I learnt how to do it and had the pleasure of spokeshaving it back. That teaches you patience and tolerance. Plus I learnt a bit about Bamboo back and belly bows.
longbow steve wrote:I have just prepped some strips of bamboo for a bamboo back and belly bow to preceed my Yumi attempt :) . Steve
Go for it. I am excited you are having a go. According to kevin there is someone down there who has one - go and have a look at it and get a pattern off the shape and check out if the bow is stiffened around the handle area or into the first section of limb.

Good Morning Daryl
Bamboo is full of surprises when used for the outer laminations. I am confident that Grahame will back me up on this statement.
Yep! It is full of big surprises. :shock:
The final product may not quite resemble what we may have envisaged in our minds but at least Grahame has a shootable bow.
And it looks like the bows in this wood cut. I can relate to the issues he is having stringing it. :D
yumi2.jpg
yumi2.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 85132 times
In essence if we do not experiment we will not learn.

I give due credit to the aspiring bowyers on this site who are willing to think outside the square and have a go.
Very much so. I support that Philosphy and those comments wholeheartedly.

And the bow meets the pre-1900 ruling as an unexpected side benefit. :D
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#16 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Great bow build pictures and description Grahame and thanks for sharing it with us. Certainly does meet the pre-1900 Historical bow criteria :lol:

Simon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm

You have been keeping yourself busy Grahame. Congrats on getting a shooting bow. Oh, I much prefer to only have to make a bow once. :wink: :lol:

Jeff

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:47 am

Good Morning Jeff

I showed it to some acquaintances last Tuesday evening and was lucky enough to get it back. Took it to the range last Saturday and shot a stack of arrows through it (around 100). Since new it has lost a lot of recurve but seems to have reached the stage where it has stopped losing it. Reading a bit more about them it would appear that the set issue is common with those made in Japan. Even so I am still happy with it.

It now has the bindings on it and so looks a bit more like the ones you see during Yabusame. I am shooting it from the left side using a mediterranean release and take the draw all the way back to end of my ear. The extreme extended draw that you see in Kyudo is not the omly length of draw. The shorter draw to the ear seem to be more common with the bow when it was used in a in military application. i.e. The Japanese where just the same as many other people and drew the bow to the ear. Although I did come across one reference which talked about about a high anchor and a low anchor. The low anchor (to what appears to be the neck) was used by archers when they where wearing helmets..

Anyhow the bow shoots well - the archer not as well. And interetsingly the long power stroke does accerate the arrow well and it does shoot quiet - surprisingly quiet. I definitely want to build another (once only next time) and with a higher poundage.
Grahame.

Stephen Georgiou

#19 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am

Very impressive Graham!
You have definitely inspired me to have a go at building a bow.

I need to get a band saw and a drum sander. Any brand suggestions? Size, horsepower etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Stephen.

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 am

Good Morning Stephen
Stephen Georgiou wrote:I need to get a band saw and a drum sander. Any brand suggestions? Size, horsepower etc?
That grinder I am using is Greybeards Lam grinder. Speak to him regarding equipment details.

Bandsaws - aaggghhhh......................

If you want to cut lams you need something that will cut straight - Daryl will have details on his. Wide-ish blade will not go astray, Thick blades is timber being thrown away. So it is a bit of a balancing act.

I have a small timber bandsaw. It is great for cutting footings etc. Not so great for doing lams. If I was to be cutting Lams I would find somewhere I could access one.
eg http://www.woodnyou.com/

Or why not just by the lams pre-done. If you are only going to make a couple of bows (say less tha 10) it is probably cheaper to just buy kits of what you want from John Clark at Ausbow. Just give him a ring and specify what you want the final bow to be like and he will send you all the pieces - and buy his book. You can build a longbow on a piece of RHS or a piece of 4X2. :D
http://ausbow.com.au/ausbow.html

Simlarly you can get kits from Binghams
http://www.binghamprojects.com/

Hope that helps.
Grahame.

NCArcher

#21 Post by NCArcher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 am

GrahameA wrote: It now has the bindings on it and so looks a bit more like the ones you see during Yabusame.
I don't believe you Grahame. If there are no pictures it didn't happen :P

Stephen Georgiou

#22 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for your advice Graham.
I am planning to build a few bows as i have a ideas about shape and materials that I would like to experiment with. I'm sure I will make plenty of mistakes along the way but what the heck!
Cheers SG

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:42 am

Good Morning Tony
NCArcher wrote:
GrahameA wrote: It now has the bindings on it and so looks a bit more like the ones you see during Yabusame.
I don't believe you Grahame. If there are no pictures it didn't happen :P
Picture. And does'nt it look good. :mrgreen:
yumi.jpg
yumi.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 84913 times
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 am

It looks good (the bow that is) mate. :D One thing I notice it is missing and I don't think you mention the reason anywhere, why no recurve at the limb tips?

Jeff

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Jeff

Because the builder, klutz that he is, did not put enough in and the main wood cut I was working off did not show it. I added some unlike the original woodcut but most of it has come out now there is however still a little when the bow is unstrung. Next time I will build in a lot more. :D
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for the explanation. It still looks good and is a great achievemnt.

Jeff

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#27 Post by Outbackdad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 am

Graham

Found this place to go to when Lewis and I are in Tokyo in April.

http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/asahi/asahimap.html

May have to bring something home.

Eddie

GrahameA

#28 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 am

Morning All.

I received a couple of photos of the Yumi in action at a Festival over Easter and they show it in its finished state. So here it is being used to an target round. I obviously need to make some more arrows for it.
Attachments
yumi.jpg
yumi.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 84740 times
Grahame.

perry

#29 Post by perry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 am

What an Endeavor Grahame, top effort. Kudos to Greybeard as well.

Bamboo lam Penobscot next, please.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Gringa Bows

#30 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 am

Man thats a lonnnggg bow,looks good Grahame..................Rod