Wood Arrow making quest?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

Wood Arrow making quest?

#1 Post by bear74 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 am

after reading a few of the trad arrow post recently I have decided to make a few and see how they go as I usually have a fair bit of time up my sleeve during the wet season to make them. I have my first lot of wood arrows arriving shortly which are 23/64 douglas fir shafts and am looking forward to getting them together but alas I need some information on the materials needed so they don’t fall apart on me I have heard that some glues etc wont stick to the polyurethane finishes that I intend to use so I need some PROVEN info from people with experience on this matter and which polyurethane finish is the better keeping in mind that I live in the tropics. As I live remote and don’t have access to a hardware for over 250km I need to get everything next time I am in town so as most will appreciate it's a long expensive drive to get a forgotten $3 item or to get a different product as the first failed
this is the list of gear I have got already:
work bench with holes cut for dip tube
dip tube with cap and gaskets
taper block
wood arrows
190gr field tips
nocks
feathers
fletchtite platinum

this is my shopping list so if there is anything I left out please add!

Wood sealer?
Polyurethane marine Wood varnish
Various emery paper/steel wool
Taper sander/grinder or a mount for drill to use as one
Pegs for dipping
Acetone
Arts/crafts paints and brushes?
G-clamps
Suitable glue for glue feathers, nocks and broad heads

Cheers
BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Wood Arrow making quest?

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi Bear 74, you say,
I usually have a fair bit of time up my sleeve during the wet season to make them.
I personnally would not attempt to be glueing up any arrows at this time of the year unless you can be sure that the humidity level was very low. For some of the glues especially "TARZAN's GRIP" don't like moisture in the air whilst your glueing fletching to arrows, it's appearance turns a milky colour whenever and wherever there is alot of moisture in the air. It may retain all its good propities of strength, (and sometimes it may not) but it comes up looking pretty bad against your newly stained or painted shafts. ............Bill

bear74

#3 Post by bear74 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:06 pm

cheers bill will kepp that in mind :mrgreen:
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:46 pm

I use Loctite 406 for the feathers; I'm pretty sure it will work during the wet (I fletch mine inside with the air-conditioning, anyway). I use super glue gel for the nocks.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

ichiban

#5 Post by ichiban » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 am

well since u live in a wet aria i would recomend oiling the entire shaft then sealing it with polyurathane the polyurathane can be glued to and the oil just provides a bit more moisture protection. i would bind the feathers as well, since u live remote i think reliability would be no 1
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

DylanK

#6 Post by DylanK » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Iv learned from Jape, and now my own experience that normal super that you buy (like 6 tubes for $2?) works well. Moisture wont hurt it as it cures better when the surface is a little wet, and holds feathers on really well. I recently shot an arrow through 10mm chicken wire fencing and all my feathers stayed on, ripped bits out of them and tore em up pretty bad, but there still glued to the shaft.

Dont know why nobody mentions it more...

Dylan

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I prefer to rub the varnish on with a rag rather than dipping. Also I just seal the shaft with the varnish first, rub it back, do my crown painting and cresting and then seal over everything with a couple more coats of varnish. I also attach my flights with Loctite 406. Have fun and make sure you post up photos of the results when you're done. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 pm

where do you get the 406 from,does it dry quick,ive just been useing tarzans grip with no probs.but want something that dries quicker,i'm inpatient :lol: .....................Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm

You can get is from most industrial supply places. It dries real quick mate – seconds. It’s good for gluing fingers together as well so take care. :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm

ok thanks ,i'll try it.