Seasoning a yew stave

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

CraigMBeckett

Seasoning a yew stave

#1 Post by CraigMBeckett » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:27 pm

I have just imported to Australia a Yew stave I bought from Dave Robertson at Medicine Bow Woods in the USA.

The stave is 80 inches long and will, if I don't bugger it up, become a nice English war bow.

It was the last 80 inch stave that Dave had but unfortunately it has not been seasoned, I bought it anyway as it was his last and its twin was bought while I was talking to Dave about it.

In order to comply with Australian quarantine regulations Dave has had to remove the bark, and as I live in what is generally a very low humidity area, the Monaro in NSW's High Country, and we have been in a declared drought for the last 10 years, even though we have had a bit of rain lately, I am pondering the best way to treat the stave to to prevent checking during drying and seasoning in our upcoming summer.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Craig.

ichiban

Re: Seasoning a yew stave

#2 Post by ichiban » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:22 am

ok well no doubt he will have coated the ends of the stave, i personaly would also cover the sap wood with a pva type glue to stop any checking through the bows back, and store it indoors, probably somewhere coolish (like my place :D).
how much in total did geting the staves cost you.... i sent them an email awhile ago but they never replyed.
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

CraigMBeckett

#3 Post by CraigMBeckett » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

Hi ichiban,

Stave cost USD200 and USD150 postage/courier. I had no trouble getting a response from him, maybe he missed your email.

Have posted the question about what to do with the stave on another forum in the US, the consensus is to coat the back and ends, which as you suggest are already coated, although one suggestion is to coat the lot.

Craig.

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm

CraigMBeckett wrote:
Stave cost USD200 and USD150 postage/courier.
Craig.

WOW ,, is YEW really that expensive ? :shock:

CraigMBeckett

#5 Post by CraigMBeckett » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:02 am

Yes, some suppliers want USD350 a stave and that is only a 72 inch one not really suitable for an English warbow, see http://www.donadamsarchery.com/staves.htm
If you know of anyone less expensive who will supply 80 inch staves I would be interested for future reference.

If you think USD200 is expensive take a look at the cost of a Yew Warbow, depending on the bowyer and the source and type of yew used the price varies from GBP600 to GBP1200 with a minimum of 4 months wait.

Craig.

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

...and to think that not many years ago I used to use the odd load of yew to heat the house! lol (burns very well... nice and hot and lasts the night) :lol:

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

CraigMBeckett

#7 Post by CraigMBeckett » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:13 pm

...and to think that not many years ago I used to use the odd load of yew to heat the house! lol (burns very well... nice and hot and lasts the night) :lol:
So its you we have to blame for its scarcity and therefore current cost!

No seriously, its like when I lived just outside Perth WA, we and all our neighbours used Jarrah as firewood because it burned hot and long and left very little ash. The same wood when turned into boards for use in woodwork etc is very expensive.

Craig.

ichiban

#8 Post by ichiban » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:56 am

yeap yew is indeed that expensive.... depressing really, besides that i wouldnt wantto be burning it since its poisonus...the nabiours may rise against you. i wouldnt coat the lot otherwise theres no where for moisture to escape i also bet that it has been bandsawed out so if u want keep an eye out forany checks and if they start maby the aria is too hot for seasoning, while the moistures that high anyway
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

CraigMBeckett

#9 Post by CraigMBeckett » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Following the advice gained here and on another (American) forum, I have sprayed the back, and the sapwood at the sides, with Estapol. The stave is currently sitting at the back of one of my benches in the shed, will probably move it inside the house as the weather gets warmer and dryer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ichiban, I believe it was initially split from the log then cleaned up with a bandsaw, we shall see as time goes by and the stave drys and seasons.

Craig.

Tuffcity

#10 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:17 pm

There is a 72" yew stave for sale on the huntingbc site for $80 if any one is interested. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42114 Don't know if it's seasoned or not.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...