bois d arc

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

ichiban

bois d arc

#1 Post by ichiban » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:05 am

well ladys and gents i am now the proud owner of a stave of osage, and some other bits.
i have dicided to do a build along on this 1 (and acctuly finish it) but ill make the whole lot and put it out as a compleate file.
anyway its all very exciting for me and i cant wate to put away the thicknesser and titebond for at least a little while.
unfortunatly i have 3 bows i have to finish befor i can start on this lumpy mass of yellow but ill be sure to post those ones to.

all the best guys.
Dave

p.sp is all part of my idea that every trad archer should have a flat bow of osage and a D bow of yew, all the others are just gravy!
and maby they should have a horse bow, some hickory backed lemonwood, some sinew backed osage, oh and a takedown....im gonna be bussy in my life i think........
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

pdccr

Re: bois d arc

#2 Post by pdccr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 am

Looking forward to it dave. Hope to see lots of pics and information too 8)
Cheers, Toby

looseplucker

#3 Post by looseplucker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 am

Am looking forward to seeing it progress David.

Good luck with the osage - at least the dust will match your SES pants.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

ichiban

#4 Post by ichiban » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:40 am

hehe it sure will, i got new band saw blades in anticipation of this project, i think that if i can get it to work i will name it taylors d" arc. Wat do u think LP?? in addition i Want to say thanks for the extera bits there are deffinatly enough footings in there to make a interesting set of arrows.

looseplucker

#5 Post by looseplucker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 am

Am flattered - but honest, that stave is nice and character-y - I was going to call it "Blonde with 2 Lumps" if I had made anything.

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

looseplucker wrote: I was going to call it "Blonde with 2 Lumps" if I had made anything.
:lol:
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#7 Post by ichiban » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 am

heeh thats good to but there are more than 2 lumps.....that image is creepy anyhow i got 2 new blades for the bandsaw 1 is 3/4" wide and 4 tooth per inch and a 1/4" with 6 tooth per inch its about time to prior to thease new blades my bandsaw just burnt through wood oh and btw my band saw is 14" so looks like it will make a good bow building bandsaw. but ibefor i get stuck into the osage i should prolly tune my self bow skills first on some not so grat wood....i got heeps of that!

looseplucker

#8 Post by looseplucker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Bit of practice is good. Cut slowly with the saw - let it 'pull' the wood through rather than you pushing - this is tough stuff. And make sure to cut outside the lines.

If you need help 'fettling your saw', there is plenty of stuff available on this and other sites (google 'fettling bandsaw')

ichiban

#9 Post by ichiban » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:06 pm

thanks 4 that john, though im not sure how much use the bandsaw will acctulys see other than thickness reduction due to the charicter

looseplucker

#10 Post by looseplucker » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am

Use the bandsaw as much as you can and where you can - safely and without harming the stave. Hand tools will give you nice biceps and blisters but the benefits of virtue are largely spiritual.

That stave can be cut to a basic bow shape and steam bent straight anyhow.

ichiban

#11 Post by ichiban » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:26 am

yeah belive you me i know all about the virtues of hand tools hehe it will be nice not to need to bring out the guns on the next few bows anyway, i really cant wate to get into this one acctuly, im making it a brand new tiller stick and everything