Drying Wood

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Drying Wood

#1 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:44 pm

My brother wants to make some clock faces from Olive Tree stumps . How does he cure/ Dry them ? Should he cut them up like this first or should he leave them whole ?
Attachments
DSC00173 (Small).JPG
DSC00173 (Small).JPG (39.73 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

longbowinfected

Re: Drying Wood

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:00 pm

I looked up my copy of Bootle but native and true olive are not really covered.
As a general rule without specific knowledge of Olive wood I suggest that large sections are seasoned slowly by sealing the ends, placing under cover in shade and check every 3-4 months. Cross sections shaped like clockfaces only a few inches deep/thick would lose moisture very quickly if cut to those sizes at the time of harvest. Quick moisture loss of free water then quick loss of water combined in cells would extremely likely cause splits and cracks.
You could paint the ends with aquadhere or something else or even wrap the sections or section ends in shrink wrap or glad wrap.
Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Cheers Kevin :) We looked at some stumps that were cut a week ago ,, and they are already splitting at the ends .

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Jeff, They split when they are left as logs as the ends shrink/dry rapidly and the rest of the log remains moist.
Cut it up and pile it up for air flow with spacers and see how they go. Seal some as Kevin suggested to slow the process .
It is a beautiful wood that would look better in the riser of a bow if you decide you dont want to slice it, cut it into chunks,seal it and sell some to us bowyers. :) Steve

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 am

longbow steve wrote: It is a beautiful wood that would look better in the riser of a bow if you decide you dont want to slice it, cut it into chunks,seal it and sell some to us bowyers. :) Steve
Do you guys want some ? I will see what is there if ya want :wink:

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 am

Cool 8)

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Are these big enough to be of any use ??
Attachments
DSC00176 (Small).JPG
DSC00176 (Small).JPG (110.39 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Might be able to get some small bits out of them laminated risers etc
Jeffro and I may be passing through on Monday if your home? Provided Jeff is ok about popping in and saying G'day.
Steve

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah Jeffro has my mobile number and said he will give me a call when ya come through :wink:
These are quite chunky logs ,, thought you would get more than some laminations from them :shock:

Moss

#10 Post by Moss » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 pm

In the past when drying wood I have painted the ends with beeswax this tends to prevent splitting. you can also take the bark of to speed up dry times. i haven't personally dried olive wood. but i have dried some small logs of celery top and horizontal scrub very successfully using this method the celery top I dried looks very similar in size to the stick of olive wood you posted. as a general rule when drying wood it dries about an inch a year. from the sides that is. Hope this helps :)
Moss