Saligna/ Blue gum for bow building?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Murf

Saligna/ Blue gum for bow building?

#1 Post by Murf » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am

Hi guys,
Does anyone have experience regarding the suitability of Euc saligna for making either a flat or long bow?
I am not sure of its durability under tension and am considering whether or not to back the bow.
I would appreciate hearing your thoughts about this.
Thanks,
Murf

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Saligna/ Blue gum for bow building?

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi Murf,

Welcome to the site.

Are you considering using milled boards or split billets?

Cheers,

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:23 am

I have used blue gum milled boards for making bows, but beware, they do tend to splinter and wear a face mask. Nasty stuff, makes a great bow but.
Cheers, Toby

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 am

Just be careful about which Blue Gum and whether it is old growth, regrowth, from well managed and nourished plantation or badly grown plantation timber.
There are 8 sub species of Southern blue gum Eucalyptus globulus and Eucalyptus bicostata, not to forget true Sydney blue gum Eucalyptus saligna.

Each of these needs great care in seasoning/drying to minimise checking of the tangential surface. E. globulus has been planted in a heap of places including overseas as it is a fast growing hardwood compared to most. If the plantation did not thin out every third tree in the first few years or the soil nutrient levels were higher than normal the quality of the timber can vary greatly from old growth or even regrowth timber, evn in small girth young trees.

I am not a bowyer but because there is narrow sapwoodlike most hardwoods in Oz I have seen a number of selfbows made from well seasoned thick floorboards.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Murf

#5 Post by Murf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi , Daryl, Pdccr,Kevin.
Thanks for the welcome and replies.
I milled the saligna about 5 years ago and selected out a few straight grained heart 100 x 50 clears.
These were old ( for NZ ) farm trees that had been down for a few years so the trees were dry before
they were milled.
One of my sons wants to have a crack at making his own bow so it is good to know that the wood is up to the job.
I notice a lot of variation among the saligna I mill, some is rubbish, logs can open up 50 - 100mm cracks in the ends in a couple of days,the logs can have internal horizontal cracking, boards cup, cell collapse, checking . Some is superb, comes off the mill absolutely flat and straight, seasons well etc. As you say, age and growing conditions of trees makes a difference.I assume some of the variation is due to different assensions as well. A mate has a Euc ID program to help identify the trees as there are so many.

Thanks again and I will try to get my son to post a pic when he has finished.

Murf

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Murf,

tell him to post some pictures along the way, it will help him for advice and we all love seeing someone's first bow.
Cheers, Toby

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Quarter cutting the logs might also improve some of the timber's performance.
Fallen older timber is quite prone to fungal degredation.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Murf

#8 Post by Murf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks again for the heads up.
I think Dan ( my son) will have plenty of questions once he gets started.
Murf