how to apply wax to a bow?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

otis.drum

how to apply wax to a bow?

#1 Post by otis.drum » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:53 am

i have just made another selfbow, andaman island style, and want to finish it in either linseed oil or bees wax.

how do you apply bees wax? does it have to be heated or melted?
...otis...

longbow steve

Re: how to apply wax to a bow?

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Otis, generally rub it on and then rub vigourously with a cloth to make it melt in but in your climate I would apply an oil and use the beeswax as a sacrificial coat that gets re applied often.
Steve

otis.drum

#3 Post by otis.drum » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 pm

thanks steve,
i ended up using a leather oil :shock: because it gave the best effect. real,ly darkened the wood up and soaked in well. i'll post some pics soon i hope.

the leather oil was obviously high in neetsfoot as thats what it smelt like. see how i goes.

and i'll rub some wax on later if i think it needs it.
...otis...

ichiban

#4 Post by ichiban » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 am

otis,
i started a thread about a bow finnish recipe, check it out, its all linseed oil, wax, and metho

D
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

gilnockie

#5 Post by gilnockie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Carnaubra wax is better than beeswax as it is a lot harder and a lot more durable. You should be able to buy it at your local hardware store in the paint department. Here is a link with a photo:

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/WaxesWax.asp

Out of the tin it dries very hard and requires a lot of effort to buff out the fine ridges of wax which are left when it dries. To make it easy to use I dilute the wax with vegetable based turpentine, not the painter's mineral turps.

I warm the contents of the tin by placing it in my hotbox until the wax liquefies, but a pan of hot water is probably quicker. I then mix the liquid wax with an equal volume of the vegetable turps and pour it into two small containers. When the wax cools it is a much softer paste than un-diluted wax. The diluted wax can be applied in a thin layer and it is easy to buff to a shine.
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.