How to make a Durable Target???

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

janmad

How to make a Durable Target???

#1 Post by janmad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Have anyone made their own target, mainly looking at field points at the moment but Broadhead targets is on the plans. was thinking of old carpet maybe combined with a couple of old foam mats that went out of fasion when thermarest entered the camping scene, any suggestions.

longbowinfected

Re: How to make a Durable Target???

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:26 pm

layers of cardboard compressed down with ratchet straps and framing

or

wool bales / shade cloth stuffed with rags, or plastic disposable shoping bags

both work really well.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Jacob.Hogan

#3 Post by Jacob.Hogan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Go to the newsagents and get a heap of last weeks papers....

Put a pile on a frame and ratchet it down. You can paint a target face on it.. our one sits in the rain and hail and still lives on... You might wanna ask M.Hogan for a pic...
All things considered; this is a game and you're not the winner.

M.Hogan

#4 Post by M.Hogan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Here you go..this is the one I made...cheak it out

You can get the papers for free, because there old ones...they just end up throwing them out..they don't even recycle them

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8296

billb

#5 Post by billb » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 pm

easy, simple, cheap & durable:
Get one of those big square plastic laundry bags from a $2 shop.
Stuff it with plastic palette wrap if you can get hold of it. My local rural store throws out a full wool bale of the stuff once or twice a week & are more than happy for me to fill the car boot with it. Plastic bags will work too. The big advantage of plastic over cloth rags is that you can leave it out in the weather and nothing happens. If you are using rags take all the buttons, zips etc. off first.
The palette wrap is also excellent at stopping field points (haven't tried BH's yet) and makes for very easy arrow removal.
The whole thing is also light & easy to transport with the built in handles :)

Repair is a simple matter of pushing the stuffing around a bit & wrapping the target with glad wrap. You can get glad wrap on a handle specifically designed for wrapping things like this from the post office for a few $ & it has 5 kilometres of glad wrap so will last a while :)

Pics

glad wrap on a stick

Reece

#6 Post by Reece » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:53 pm

I currently use the ratcheted cardboard mentioned earlier. This has lasted me about 6 months of smashing heavy field tips from my *ahem* compound *cough* into it. It's on it's last legs now, I finally had a passthrough and smashed the arrow against a wall.

I plan on trying an box with one side very loose-knit shade fabric and stuff it with foam rubber off-cuts - bits of old boogie board, clark rubber throwaway/sale items, etc. I've seen it done at few ranges.

For broadheads try getting a couple of old "esky lid" boogie boards. Cut them in half and glue together.
A builders house is never built, a mechanics car is never fixed.