Renaissance Italian "Longbow"

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Renaissance Italian "Longbow"

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Afternoon All

Longer term members of the forum would be aware of my questions and comments regarding Medieval Italian Longbows and the work of Alisio Cennai. Some time ago Greybeard posted some details on a bow he had made that was based on an illustration in "Bows of the World" by David Gray. The bow in the book being made by Hilary Greenland and she called it an "Italian Medieval Longbow", as it was a long bow to accomodate the required draw length. I have liked the design since the first was made and over the last few weeks I did something about it and this the result.
cennai.jpg
cennai.jpg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
My bow is a 66" version - somewhat longer than the version Greybeard made. The working section of the bow has 3 laminations of Hard Rock Maple with a veneer each side of Tasmanian Blackwood under clear glass. The ends of the limbs have overlays of clear glass and that has sufficiently stiffened them that they are non-working and act like Siyahs. The handle is Beefwood with Purpleheart highlight strips. Bow weight is 45lb at 28" and it has 1/16" of tiller. At the moment there is no shelf and it is shooting fine with nil shock. This is still a work in progress and depending on what happens I may cut a shelf into it or just thin the handle section down by a 1/4".

It shoots very nice, thank you, and I will give it a run this weekend.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Antonio

Re: Renaissance Italian "Longbow"

#2 Post by Antonio » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Beautiful bow it looks sleek and stylish .I have seen some of that style of bows in middle age Italian paintings .being Italian bow it would have to have a bit of style to it .
I was born in south America but every body knows Italians all ways have a lot of style .and that bow has style .I am into longbows .I all ways liked the long straight limbs .the feel of a longbow is a real free feeling to me compared to a recurve .but that bow is in a style of its own .and that is a style of bow I would have in my collection .very intriguing bow I like it .
thats a style of bow that could all most be lost in time as you don't see it a lot. you see Longbows Recurves and Asian and Japanese bows .
looking forward to seeing how it shoots .also thoes arrows look great full of style red feathers look great on arrows .
Last edited by Antonio on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Grahame, You just knew I was going to say this but I will anyway; that is a long RECURVE. :lol:

It does look realy nice and I like the lines also. The belly lams seem to end very squarish at the handle, is that what you intended or have you more finishing to do? Congrats on making a nice bow.

Jeff

Alex

#4 Post by Alex » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm

That's really a nice bow.
Good job Grahame.
Is that tassie blackwood stained or it's natural color?
Looks a bit redish from here.

Alex.

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:32 pm

very nice Grahame,i like that style of bow...................Rod

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Marvelous work there grahame, great curves aswell.
Cheers, Toby

looseplucker

#7 Post by looseplucker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Stickbow

You could have thrown a curve ball and suggested it was a hybrid :D

Seriously - I remember Greybeard's thread and I really like the look of that bow - look forward to further detail on how it performs.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Its about time Grahame :D , Looks very nice. Can we see a pic at full draw? Steve

looseplucker

#9 Post by looseplucker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:04 pm

"Its about time Grahame , Looks very nice. Can we see a pic at full draw? Steve"

I second the motion
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Hmmmm Im with you Jeff is that string touching the tips of the limbs gotta be a recurve.

He He

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

UPTHETOP

#11 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

P.S Hey Graham hack a shelf into it and it will look like a real recurve.

Cheers Wayno

Benny Nganabbarru

#12 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:48 pm

That is magnificent! Well-done!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

ivorycollector

#13 Post by ivorycollector » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Very very nice looking bow there Grahame. Beautiful curvature. Siewho

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:55 am

Morning Toxophilists

Hi Antonio - I would describe it as elegant. It really does have a nice set of curves to it. And the arrows set it off nicely.

Hi Jeff - Now why did I expect that. :roll: The handle is a little squarish - well a lot squarish but it fits me quite well. I will probably refine the shape a bit over time but I do not want it overly curved on the back as I want the handle pressure spread over a larger area.

Hi Alex - No stain on the Blackwood that is the natural colour.

Hi Rod - I like it even more. :mrgreen: You need to build one similar.

Hi Loose' - Without Daryl's help and encouragement it would never have happened. The longer version in my opinion looks nicer. I will try and get a photo of it and its sister at some stage if the two of them are in the same location.

Hi Steve - Will take photos of it at full draw in a day or two.

Wayno - You need to look at the reproduction Medieval "English Longbow" Chris Boynton made. :D I can stop the string touching by adjusting the brace height (if that helps) - and it is a longer bow than most. :D I am not so sure about the shelf just yet. :roll: Not having a shelf makes some people think twice about it. :D However, so far I have nil issues shooting it. The current handle shape also gives me a consistent hand position. However, I may do it and build another one with a slightly different handle shape with no shelf.

I will take more photos of it on the weekend and hopefully some video of it shooting.
Last edited by GrahameA on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

pdccr

#15 Post by pdccr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:10 am

Cant wait :D
Cheers, Toby

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 am

Wow, Grahame, those curves look nearly as beautiful as my partner, Sharons! Good job matey, now we have to add "Bowyer" to your C.V., along with engineer, photographer, fletcher,...! Gonna bring it over to the island one day?
I once heard that the Italians were very much feared professionals in matters military many years ago. I seem to remember something about Genovese Xbowmen in mediaeval times, does that ring any bells with anyone? It would be easy to Google it, but I rather imagine it would interest others here to discuss it.
Last edited by Nephew on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Craig
Moreton wrote:... now we have to add "Bowyer" to your C.V.
I can guarantee I have a long way to go before I will be a bowyer. It is a big learning experience for me - and I am only at the start of my journey.

Now WRT the Genoese. Yep, you would have remembered them from Crecy. The French had somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 Genoese mercenaries in their army and they took the initial volleys of arrows from the English archers. It was not a good day for them or the rest of the French Army.

Italy was really not Italy at that stage rather a collection of City States.

Italian Gunners - i.e. Artillery men - were famed during the Medieval period for their ability to use cannon. Probably had something to do with bell manufacture.

Sir John Hawkwood, he of the White Company fame - better known as Giovanni Acuto to the Italians - worked in a mercenary function in Italy during the 15C. I suppose one should also note that Vatican Swiss Guards started up late in the 15C as well. Italian history is very interesting in parts - especially Venice.

If you are feeling bored you can download Conan Doyle's "White Company" from Project Gutenberg. Bit of a slog in stages but still a good read.

BTW - If you saw Time Team on ABC 2 last night they had a few Roman era skulls that had been hit by projectiles from slings - nasty mess and you got an appreciation why Roman slingers were so feared. I was a bit disappointed that they did not show some cast projectiles.

p.s. Just shot a few arrows from the new bow - crikey it shoots nice. Now back to work.
Last edited by GrahameA on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm

i might just do that Grahame :wink: :D .can you put up some photo's of it unstrung too :mrgreen: .........................Rod

UPTHETOP

#19 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Thank God you have a sense of Humour Grahame.

Cheers Wayno

hue

#20 Post by hue » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:54 pm

drool, dribble and drool Grahame

Hue

Morton, a Genoese army beat a Mongolian army in full battle but can't quite remember the date
I can only be who I am

Glenn

#21 Post by Glenn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:35 am

Grahame, that's a beautiful looking bow mate. Will you be at the Cabooltue Corrival? I would like to see it and see it shot. If you wish to call the bow an Italian Longbow that's fine by me, people call arrows arras so what's the problem? ...Glenn...

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 am

Morning All

Hi Wayno
UPTHETOP wrote:Thank God you have a sense of Humour Grahame.
Some people have suggested that my sense of humour is a tad dry - but they just don't know me well enough. :D

Hi Rod

Will take more photos

Hi Hue

Stop slobbering. You should see it shoot, really nice and it looks good as well. :mrgreen:

Hi Glenn

The name came from the one that Hilary Greenland first built. There is a whole lot of conjecture, discussion and research into the bows of the Hundred Years War period across Europe. There have been several suggestions, by people a lot smarter than me, that recurved tips may not have been that uncommon. Anyhow that is beside the point - it really is a recurve and Jeff and I have been having a discussion about Medieval Longbows for about 5 years now so I knew what he would say. :D I have modified the work a little bit more by stiffening the tips a tad. The end result is there is no noticeable stack or finger pinch in the bow at my draw length - something I wanted to avoid very strongly. I will have it Caboolture and you are more than welcome to have a look and play with it. (Does this mean I have started a trend on bringing a new bow to each shoot. :roll: )
Last edited by GrahameA on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

longbow steve

#23 Post by longbow steve » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 am

(Does this mean I have started a trend on bringing a new bow to each shoot. )
The curse of the bowyer I'm afraid :D .
Steve

buzz

#24 Post by buzz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:14 am

Very nice work.

Glenn

#25 Post by Glenn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:35 am

(Does this mean I have started a trend on bringing a new bow to each shoot. :roll: )[/size]

I will be keen to have a close look at the bow at Caboolture Grahame. Bringing a new bow to each shoot is a good trend to start....Glenn....

Antonio

#26 Post by Antonio » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:40 pm

You know Moreton .Sharon sounds a bit like an Italian name Maybe shes got a bit of Italian in her ?

Nephew

#27 Post by Nephew » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 pm

:D Nah, she's from Manchester , blond, blue eyed and Norse to the bone. Were there any Italian Vikings? Might be a chance of Italian heritage , if so. :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#28 Post by GrahameA » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 am

Morning All

Hi Craig - Yep I will take it on an "Overseas Trip" and let you have a shot or three. :-)

Now for everyone else - this is Daryl's version which does not have the stiffened tips and is a bit shorter in both Bow length and Draw length.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7088

It is about 6 post down.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#29 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Grahame,
I think both the French and the English had deflex/reflex longbows pop up here and there on the odd occasion. Very nice longbow.....the curves look very similar to Steve's......very refined.
At that draw weight would be a little rocket ship. Well done.
Without a shelf it is almost left handed.......if youget bored with it I could find an empty corner in my bow locker.

Moreton,
not too sure if it is a wise idea comparing your child bride to a bow....I would be careful that she did not read that post......no matter how high an accolade it might be it might just cause a bit of friction.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#30 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 am

Morning All
longbow steve wrote:Its about time Grahame :D , Looks very nice. Can we see a pic at full draw? Steve

Here you are. Look at that beautiful Qld Sunshine.
Img_6068r.jpg
Img_6068r.jpg (60.82 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Will get more photos of it.
Grahame.