bow finish

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

bow finish

#1 Post by clinton miller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:06 pm

i'm looking for something suitable for a bow finish. it must be resistant to acetone when cured/dried because when replacing the self adhesive velcro i use for shelf material i remove the residue with acetone. must be clear.

i modified my riser a bit only to find that the sealer i used dissolves with acetone.

what do i need, and where do i get it?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

kimall

Re: bow finish

#2 Post by kimall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:20 pm

So you bit the bullet hey mate how did it finish up for you.Is it better to shoot with the lower shelf?
On the bows I make I use the auto spray paint in the clear and have found it really tuff when put on right but not sure about the acetone give me a minute and I will go and try it........................

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm

It seemed to take a bit of the shine off but didnt disolve it.It has been on there a long time so may be a bit harder.
It is a very good bow finish though and dries fast so you can finish a bow in a day and then let it dry for a few and it is all done even with heaps of coats(12-15)

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 pm

i tried acetone on some staves i sealed with the same stuff and it handled it okay. so maybe it needs a few days to cure.

yeah, lowered the shelf. seems more natural now. i'll see how it goes.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string