arrow spine help

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

otis.drum

arrow spine help

#1 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 pm

i need to weaken my arrows. but how much???

out of my 62# wood lam bow my arrows are hitting 4-5" left of aiming point. they work fine for other bows that are about the same poundage but with a shelf cut to centre. i want to bring them across that 4-5" and so i will have to weaken the spine. currently with 170gr heads, but i have some 220gr heads on order.

does anyone know if this will likely be enough to weaken them, or what might be needed up front to weaken them enough?

the following photo shows how far left my arrows are hitting at 10m (about 4-5"). the shafts are CX350's weighing around 680-700gr. that is 100gr inserts, and 170gr heads. i'm aiming for the round green area to the right of arrows.

thanks
P7140031[1].JPG
P7140031[1].JPG (44.44 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
...otis...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: arrow spine help

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 pm

the shafts are CX350's weighing around 680-700gr.
I was going to say sand them a bit but after seeing the above I guess you can't do that. :mrgreen:

Jeff

clinton miller

#3 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:01 pm

if the arrows have been cut shorter you could leave them at full length next batch and trim to stiffen them.....if you want to keep using the 170gr. the extra weight of the 220gr heads should make a difference. shoot a bareshaft aswell and note it's relationship with the group.

can you use a thinner side plate to bring them closer to centre??
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

otis.drum

#4 Post by otis.drum » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:07 pm

jeff, sanding the carbons could give some troubles hey :mrgreen: like explode on impact .... :idea:

clint, thinner side plate??? i'm not sure what you mean? i'm shooting round the handle.

the arrows fly dead straight, hit straight and penetrate well so i don't think i need to bareshaft the arrows.

i have no want to stay with this or that weighted heads, just wondering if the extra weighted ones i have on order will be enough to weaken and bring it across that much.
...otis...

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

i assumed it had a shelf. in which case a thinner strike plate would move the arrow closer to centre, weakening them some. sounds like the only option you have is adding point weight. the extra 50gr should make a difference. the more from centre the arrow sits the more critical the spine has to be.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

TomMcDonald

#6 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 am

otis.drum wrote:jeff, sanding the carbons could give some troubles hey :mrgreen: like explode on impact .... :idea:

clint, thinner side plate??? i'm not sure what you mean? i'm shooting round the handle.

the arrows fly dead straight, hit straight and penetrate well so i don't think i need to bareshaft the arrows.

i have no want to stay with this or that weighted heads, just wondering if the extra weighted ones i have on order will be enough to weaken and bring it across that much.
With target tips or broadheads?
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 pm

shouldn't make a difference i don't think. i'm talking both.
...otis...

TomMcDonald

#8 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:25 am

otis.drum wrote:shouldn't make a difference i don't think. i'm talking both.
Well it can make a difference so it needs to be given at least a small amount of thought.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Stephen Georgiou

#9 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:37 am

try a couple with 5" fletches. It looks like to feathers are 4" is that right?
use 4 feathers instead of three.

Short of that give them to someone with a compound and get some good Oregon / douglas fir arrows. These arrows are tough and last really well with hunting broadheads. I use 170gr tuskers on douglas fir arrows giving me a total weight of 700 grains. These shaft will bare shaft no problems. and hit like trains out of my 73lb bow.

otis.drum

#10 Post by otis.drum » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 am

thanks stephen,
they are already 5" though.

i have other bows with shelf cut that they shoot perfect from so wont be getting rid of them.

i will see how the extra weight goes with them.
...otis...

Stephen Georgiou

#11 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 pm

no worries mate.
Carbons are hard to deal with. I found that when I was shooting carbons out of my bear 60lb recurve the 400 spine beaman hawks shot really well but when I increased the tip weight they did not have the same resultant weakening of spine that you would expect from aluminums or woods. I could even shoot 500 spine hawks from the same bow with the same setup with very little difference in the performance. After having similar problems that you are having with the carbons when trying to match some to my 48lb longbow I gave up and went to woods and have had better results.
Cheers