Stringybark selfbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Beleg

Stringybark selfbow

#1 Post by Beleg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Evening all.

Just a quick question. I have a bit of stringybark that needs to be made into a bow and I was wondering what kind of bow would best suit this timber.

The bit I have is 197cm long by 48mm wide by 28mm thick. I have made two selfbows so far, actually one and a half, they are both flat board bows, but I kind of want to make a different style, maybe an English long bow or something like that.

What do you reckon?

Cheers,
Steve.
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison."

The Bowhunter's prayer.

Glenn

Re: Stringybark selfbow

#2 Post by Glenn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:36 am

Steve, I have made several selfbows over the years out of yellow stringy but they have always been in the flatbow design. It should make an english style longbow, all you can do is give it a go, would be good to see how it turns out...Glenn...

otis.drum

#3 Post by otis.drum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:17 am

steve,
i've made two andaman island style selfies with red stringy. i found it good to work with. let me know if you want some dimensions.
...otis...

Beleg

#4 Post by Beleg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Yes please Otis, that would be great as I have no idea what an andaman style bow looks like.

Also, am I right in thinking that an English longbow is rounder in the limbs and has no handle section? I might see what Google turns up as well.

Thanks,
Steve.
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison."

The Bowhunter's prayer.

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 am

i'll try to get some dimensions tonight.

there are some andaman island bows in here somewhere, scroll down in this post...

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... it=andaman
...otis...