Its show us you're Spine jig Time

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Antonio

Its show us you're Spine jig Time

#1 Post by Antonio » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:29 am

Mainly because I am thinking of getting a spine tester .I have been looking at prices for shafts and then looking at prices of Spine testers then back to shafts prices back to spine testers then back to shafts .And considering that I have two bows and a 55 lbs and a 80lbs longbow and a 113lbs longbow on the way .And the prices of shafts .

I am thinking the next logical conclusion is to make my own that way I can never run out and I don't have to count on external factors affecting it like prices.

There is also a part of me that wants to make a home made spine testing kit .

I don't know if any body has trodden down this path before .There is always a chance some one has made their own home made spine tester .Or maybe I thought of it first .You never know.
:wink: :D

clinton miller

Re: Its show us you're Spine jig Time

#2 Post by clinton miller » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 am

search the 'how to' forum on tradgang. they have home made spine testers in there.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Glenn

#3 Post by Glenn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:09 am

Antonio, contact Little Arrows on this forum and ask her if Steve will make one. I think Steve's spine tester is still the best one I have seen...Glenn...

woody

#4 Post by woody » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:35 pm

The easiest spine tester is a block of 50mm X 100mm X 300mm timber, nailed to your shed wall, with a 3/8" hole horizontally drilled into its side.

Borrow some alloy shafts of known spine, eg

2219 = .340
2117 = .400
2018 = .460
2016 = .530
Insert the shafts into the hole in the wood block and hang a 12" shifting spanner off the nock end of them

Put a texta mark level with the amount of shaft bend ( deflection) with the weight of the shifter is on it. The only criteria is the shafts be of the same length, and you label each mark, 2219 texta mark =.340 etc.

Now by comparing the amount of bend of your wood shafts, to the texta marks labelled on the wall, it should be pretty easy to get a very close estimate of static shaft spine.

You could even just put the texta mark from one arrow that you know flys nice out of your bow, and still have a measure of how stiff or how weak a shaft is, relative to the reference arrows mark.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:39 pm

i just bought mine off keith forrester (Forro)off here,dont know if he's still selling them though.......................Rod

Mike-dy

#6 Post by Mike-dy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:46 am

Heres a pic of my home made one, If you search here you'll find more that others have made.
Attachments
Spine Jig 001Small.jpg
Spine Jig 001Small.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 1089 times