The Happy Dramas of the First-Time Arrow Maker...

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Benny Nganabbarru

The Happy Dramas of the First-Time Arrow Maker...

#1 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I like wooden arrows, but I've always paid an expert to make them for me, seeing as I'm better at working with spelling and punctuation and graphing favourite foods and lost pencils; basically, I'm all-thumbs in matters practical. :D

But, I decided it was time to "Have-a-go-ya-mug!" and so, I'm in the process of having a go at making some plain-Jane arrows with which to slay mighty beasts, hopefully.

The first drama was tapering. I've discovered I'm not fond of little hand-tools or mini-taper-grinders. Luckily, my mate Matt is a canny carpenter, and is also in the throes of making his own arrows for the first time, and had clamped a belt sander to his work bench, with blocks of wood screwed-in at the correct angles: A piece of cake!

Sealing (and staining some of) the shafts was pretty easy, with the help of the folks at Mitre 10, who happily sold me some Watson's Feast Weatherproof something-or-other, combined with the dipping tube and speedy-dip-rubber-thingy that I got from www.tradbits.com .

I fletched a couple of arrows, and went to the school oval with Gabby to test them. They held up alright, until the blunt one got jammed in a milk bottle, and the feathers removed themselves. I had discovered a compatibility problem between Fletchtite and the sealant goo. Onto Ozbow I jumped, to find what others were using to attach feathers, and then set-off to try to find some Loctite 406 in Katherine. Six shops later, I found some, and it is indeed good stuff. Thus far, it seems rock-solid.

Of course, I'm still learning, and probably have quite a few trials and tribulations ahead of me, although I hope not. By the way, does anybody use super glue or Loctite 406 to attach nocks?

Cheers,

Ben
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: The Happy Dramas of the First-Time Arrow Maker...

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Some pictures:

ichiban

#3 Post by ichiban » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 pm

looks good mate, i personaly like plain arrows as some of you will know i have done almost everything under the sun with arrows but at the end of they day theres nothing beter than wood from wood ya know.
once again good stuuf,
Dave
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Not too bad at all Ben. :wink:

I attach my nocks with super glue and it works fine. It's nice and quick too. You don't have much time to line up the nock with the grain of the arrow, as the glue sets so quickly, so it pays to have a good look at the grain before you start.

So far, I've tried Fletchtite, Tarzan's Grip, Araldite and Locktite super glue. The super glue worked the best, as the first two often let go and the Araldite took too long to set, plus the nock would often 'lift' slightly and move before the glue dried.

Keep up the good work!

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matt_d

#5 Post by matt_d » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Great to see you having a crack at building your own arrows Ben, it's a very satisfying persuit! :) I like to use the Loctite 406 to attach my nocks too, as I've had the same problem as Mick with the nocks lifting up a poofteenth when using Araldite. I still prefer to use feather tape for my helical fletches though, I don't like the frosty residue the Loctite leaves either side of the feather on some of the finishes I use. I also like the feather tape because I can refletch shafts easily if the feathers become damaged, or even reuse feathers if I break a shaft. Does the Mrs. know you're superglueing on the good tablecloth? :lol:
Cheers,
Matt

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

:D

Nope, she doesn't know; she's at work.

Actually, I owe her a nice, new table: Just after we got married five years ago, she was watching TV one night when I asked if I could mount the reloading press on the table, seeing as their was only the two of us using it. She was more interested in what was on TV, and answered in the affirmative without really knowing what I'd asked. I thought she knew what I'd asked, as she'd seen the reloading press in action at my folks' house, but evidently ladies don't always take that sort of information in. Anyway, for the last five years, the reloading press has been firmly bolted to the table. And now that I've taken-up making wood arrows, I'll need to get a sander mounted there also, but I think she'd be too wise now. So, I have to get her a new table, and this old one can become my work bench on the back veranda. :D

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:11 pm

i've been useing tarzans grip for my feathers and nocks for a long time never had a problem yet :) ................Rod

ichiban

#8 Post by ichiban » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm

i have never had a problem lining up the nock to the grain, i forget where i read it but at most in very rair cases there is a 5% strength diffrence and if your nocks gonna split then that 5% prolly wont help, but i still line up self nocks at 90 degrees
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Congrats on making your own arrows Ben. I find it not only rewarding but fun to do.

With the Loctite 406 it is a good idea to spray a bit of teflon spray or use some tape on your fletching clamp so any stray bit of glue doesn't stick to the clamps. I only use Bitzenberger jigs which are a cast alloy and over the years I lent them out and the clamps look a bit sad now days as the people I lent them to got sloppy with the glue and then scraped it off with a knife and it has worn the clamp away. I now have a new jig (I got second hand) and it doesn't get lent out to anyone. :D

I use Fletchtite on my nocks as it give me time to adjust the nock and it kind of melts the plastic slightly so it sticks well. I also use a dop of it on the front and rear of my flights.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:44 pm

Ben your doing a top job on the arrows mate....................Rod

piggy

#11 Post by piggy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Good on you Ben for having a go, I must admit it's a skill I would love to master.

Trad Bound

#12 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Well Done Ben
Being an all thumbs person I use Locktite on Fletches I spray will cooking oil on the clamp every so often as Jeff suggests and i use disposable gloves as locktite does what it is called. i use tarzen grip for nocks but last lot reacted with my varnish, so that was fun. I'm told that basic Balsa cement for model planes works well on fletches. keep up the good work.
cheers TonyJ

DylanK

#13 Post by DylanK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Having gone through the same thing not long ago, I know how rewarding it can feel! I used the loctite gel for the feathers and it didnt work out for me, so I used the cheapo superglue. I cant tell the difference in strength so Im happy. I used tarzans grip for the nocks as LB Rod suggested.

Dylan

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Well done Ben,
I Have been doing my own arrows for sometime and it's great to see and use the final product. The glue I use is the competitor of locktite, called Holdtite Sure Set 60 Low Viscosity and it hasn't let me down yet. Cheers Roadie.

Benny Nganabbarru

#15 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks, fellows! It's been a full-on day making arrows, with plenty more to go. I'll be wrapped when I bust a feral with one. :D