Vanes

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

M.Hogan

Vanes

#1 Post by M.Hogan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:22 am

I have decided to start shooting off the shelf and I'm going to take the vanes off my carbons and put feathers on...
But how do you take the vanes off the feathers.. their glued on pretty good????

TEX

Re: Vanes

#2 Post by TEX » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 am

What I do is use a knife and carefully cut them off. Don't use a razor sharp on as you can cut into your shaft, Once the vane is of you can use the knife like a draw tool and scrape the glue off. Works for me as I do it all the time. I actually use a broad head most of the time.
Re Tex

clinton miller

#3 Post by clinton miller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 am

what tex said.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

ichiban

#4 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:09 am

ok what you do is break the shaft and put the fletched end in the microwave hehe but seriously if you break an arrow and want the fletchings back thats not a bad tric
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Antonio

#5 Post by Antonio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am

Hi Just what every body suggested up here .Also if you are careful a sharp instrument is good .You can also just rip them of or get most of the vane of then use a hard plastic to scrape the rest of it of .Use the hard plastic like a knife you can use a bit of force cause the plastic wont cut into the carbons.good luck with it .Once you get into feathers and of the shelf you wont look back .Well I didn't I found it better .

I did the same thing in 2005 and some one suggested using feathers I had about forty carbons to repair .It all when well except I made a couple that had mixed feathers on them and that flew all over the place .So I always buy bulk right wing feathers .As long as the arrow has all feathers right or left wing its all good .But if they are mixed they fly crocked .

For sticking the leather on the shelf I use multi bond or fletchtight .Also of the shelf is better for quick shots or Arial shots .And is more reliable .Any way I like it better . :)

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 pm

you can buy a feather stripping tool......they work well.
I have started to use wraps on my timber and alloy arrows which make it easier.
For my other arrows I have tied the feathers on with fletching tape....stay on well bu can be removed easily if you wish.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.