reflex deflex

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

M.Hogan

reflex deflex

#1 Post by M.Hogan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 am

Take a look at this, I dont know if you have seen it done this way but I haven't (the way he puts the reflex deflex in the bow)
I'm going to try it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80527FAa-L0

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: reflex deflex

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Interesting mate and very simple. It is a deflex/reflex design though. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 pm

i've been waiting for you to say that mate, :lol: :lol: ...................Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Well someone has to try and help stop the confusion. :D

Jeff

dartonian

#5 Post by dartonian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 am

Lol, I think you have your work cut out for you Jeff!
It would appear the yanks have taken to naming them reflex / deflex so you're fighting the might of the good ol' US of A.
Mind you, they also call McDonalds a hamburger :?
Cheers,
Paul

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 am

Yeah Paul it is ridiculous how people want to call something by a name that means completely the opposite, makes no sense to me. Mind you, not all Americans get it wrong only some. :D

Jeff

ichiban

#7 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 pm

i was the same asuming that it went from the tips to the handle there for it would be a reflex/deflex plus thats what is writen in the tbb's but it would seem more logical to go from the handle....
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:29 pm

but it would seem more logical to go from the handle....
Exactly ichi and that is the reason bow designs are named according to what they do when leaving the handle of the bow. They have to deflex or reflex from a certain point - being the handle - not some imaginary spot in thin air some place. :D

Jeff

ichiban

#9 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 pm

yeah i learnt it from your crusade against impropre termanology....besides i dont think i would want to own a reflex/deflex.....man that would be some almighty stack and at a short draw, and for a normal draw you would have to recurve the tips.....so it would be reflex deflex recurve....might work.... would look like a cupid bow but with no early draw weight.

hehe sorry side tracked.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 am

Bow Designs 8.jpg
Bow Designs 8.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
so it would be reflex deflex recurve
Just another form of the semi-recurve mate. Now days some people call them longbows though as the string only touches at the string nocks. That is nonsense IMO as they are clearly a recurve. :D

Jeff

DylanK

#11 Post by DylanK » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am

Whether longbow or recurve, that is a nice looking bow.

Dylan

pdccr

#12 Post by pdccr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 am

I would almost call that a horse bow although it doesnt have syiahs hahaha, its a lovely design...
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#13 Post by ichiban » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 pm

seems like a lot of effort but i guess its still not as much as a horse bow. seems to me that cast on this bow wouldnt be as awsome as you would expect. my reasoning is that there would have to be enough weight near the tips to stop them bending, and all the work is being performed by the deflexed aria of the limb, would it perform as well or beter than a simple long bow?? it looks good though.
just thinking, whats your perspective??

pdccr

#14 Post by pdccr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:58 pm

I always thought that the extra bend on the limbs and tips gave better cast to the recurves, although i can see how some people argue that its a longbow but i would not call it a longbow, just me though.
Cheers, Toby

ichiban

#15 Post by ichiban » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 am

well i just think that since all the bend happens in the small deflexed aria that that aria would take large set.

Mike-dy

#16 Post by Mike-dy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 pm

[quote="Stickbow HunterJust another form of the semi-recurve mate. Now days some people call them longbows though as the string only touches at the string nocks. That is nonsense IMO as they are clearly a recurve. :D

Jeff[/quote]

And theres a whole other argument about the defintion of reflex and recurve :lol: :lol:

ichiban

#17 Post by ichiban » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 pm

basicly longbow = straight and recurve = curly, the usage of a bow which has been glued or bent into a spacific shape to get better performance, but still be clased as a longbow is shamefull IMHO

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 pm

How would you class the bows if you were given the task of penning the rules?
The D/R bows are in the modern longbow division where a true longbow is classed as a selfbow whats shameful about this? Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:20 pm

And theres a whole other argument about the defintion of reflex and recurve
Please tell.
The D/R bows are in the modern longbow division where a true longbow is classed as a selfbow whats shameful about this?
Don't know about shameful but I've seen many longbows that weren't self bows. A true longbow doesn't have to be made from one piece of wood.

Jeff

Mike-dy

#20 Post by Mike-dy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
And theres a whole other argument about the defintion of reflex and recurve
Please tell.
The D/R bows are in the modern longbow division where a true longbow is classed as a selfbow whats shameful about this?
Don't know about shameful but I've seen many longbows that weren't self bows. A true longbow doesn't have to be made from one piece of wood.

Jeff
You left my emoticons out of the quote Jeff, but referring to your statement about longbows above, this is just an opinion too.
I am of the opinion Nobody will ever be happy no matter what happens with rules anywhere, you can't please all people all the time. Shoot what you want against whoever the is running the shoot decides you are shooting against and enjoy the freindship and comraderie that comes with it.
Selfbow, glass backed longbow, deflex, reflex, recurve, horsebow whatever, if hunting dead is dead.
I'm pretty damn sure the enemy at the pointy end of the arrow were telling theire opponents "you can't shoot me with that you've wrapped the handle and that should be classed as having a shelf" :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it hasn't got wheels and is largely naturally materials not manmade why not
allow it? Why allow Glass? It extends life, is cheaper and easier to use and allows people to become involved in "TRAD" archey for a reasonable investment. I think the one thing we can all agree on is we are passionate and have our own opinions and will continue to disagree.
Hope to meet you and a shoot one day a discuss this face to face. Till then keep enjoying what you enjoy and keep the passion alive :D
Cheers,
Mike

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Mike,

The emoticons don't seem to take in a quote for some reason.

I wasn't really commenting on anything to do with rules of any shoots; I was simply commenting on bow design. I don't care what equipment people choose to shoot but I do however like correct terminology to be used when speaking about what equipment we use.

I agree, we should all keep enjoying shooting our chosen equipment and keep the passion alive!!!

Yeah, it would be good to meet some day.

Jeff

ichiban

#22 Post by ichiban » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 pm

well i persoanly think it is shamefull to design a bow around the peramiters of the rules but just being legal because the string dosent quite touch the limbs, in that situation you know wat your making and obviously tyring for an unfair advantage and thats just not in the spirit of things but on the lighter side i would enjoy meeting all of you guys, unfortunatly your just avatars to me atm :lol: shouldnt be that way

Mike-dy

#23 Post by Mike-dy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:28 am

Jeff,
Reflex/ deflex, deflex/ reflex, maybe you have a point about correct terminology or not, I cant say, have seen any written references that I recall which specifically define this, and like anything to do with language over time common usage tends to become accepted as the norm. HAs done for as long as mans been communicating and will continue to do so.
As for my comment about rules I think Longbow Steve first asked about rules, I just gave my opinion, :D
My comment directed to you was more about this " A true longbow doesn't have to be made from one piece of wood. "
ichiban wrote:well i persoanly think it is shamefull to design a bow around the peramiters of the rules but just being legal because the string dosent quite touch the limbs, in that situation you know wat your making and obviously tyring for an unfair advantage and thats just not in the spirit of things but on the lighter side i would enjoy meeting all of you guys, unfortunatly your just avatars to me atm :lol: shouldnt be that way
Ichi, I have absolutely no issue with a bowyer constructing a bow for maximum perceived performance based on the rules. Its what society does to grow/advance and improve. Like I said in my previous post we'll never get uniform rules that suit anybody.
I rather discuss terminology than rules although that discussion can become just as energetic :D

Glenn

#24 Post by Glenn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:34 am

Jeff, I think it is about time you lead by example, so please from now on can you stop using the term "ARRAS" for your arrows, I find it very annoying as there is no such thing as an arra but maybe in time as Mike pointed out if enough people use it it will be accepted as the norm...Glenn...

ichiban

#25 Post by ichiban » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:27 am

basicly i think definitions need to be extreemly precise to alow a level playing field or they need to be Extreemly open to alow the archers to have full choice in everything, if they are somewhere in the middle then there are always going to be problems in one form or another.

hey perhaps there could be another catagory at shoots for moden designs such as the deflex reflex, perry reflex, heat treated and silk backed etc. once again the can o' worms is open point is that a perfectly manufactured bow of any design with perfectly matched arrows will have trade offs compaied to a perfect bow and arrows of another design, so you can shoot in 3 person comps or i think it should be put into the competitors hands to get the best out of there gear, i surgest 3 comps 1. woodbow(inc bamboo) 2.fiberglassbow 3. compisite bow

Glenn

#26 Post by Glenn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 am

Ichi, that's exaclty how I see it as well about the bow divisions, it needs to be kept simple. My experience in the past has been that the people who shoot the most accurate and stable bow ever made, or so they keep telling us, the longbow shooters will as they have always done jump and down because the recurve shooters have an advantage over them....Glenn....

ichiban

#27 Post by ichiban » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:01 am

well if the devisions where that simple it comes down to the archer to shoot beter, sure a recurve is faster (if propperly designed) but so what dosent mean alot if you know how to aim at diffrent lengths and if im wrong on this point then it still comes down to the archer to shoot a bow suited to the comp at hand

Glenn

#28 Post by Glenn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:13 am

A bow does not make a good archer, the archer must know the equipment he shoots. In 1994 I attended a traditional shoot at a clud in Idaho, there were 140 shooters and the overall winner shot a 55# osage selfbow and he cleaned them all up, laminated recurves and longbows and all. At the shoot he shot his selfbow through the chrony and his bow shot his arrows at a mere 115fps, probably one of the slowest bows on the day. It just goes to show you the bow doesn't an Archer make...Glenn...

ichiban

#29 Post by ichiban » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:48 pm

thats exactly what i mean and it goes on to what loose pluker is saying about people blaiming the equiptment wow 115fps based on what the TBBs say that would be considered average staraight limbed 15lb bow, goes to show you huh?

Glenn

#30 Post by Glenn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:05 am

Exactly, it does go to show you, you can't blame your equipment for poor performance. This didn't do the bow any favours with his arrows as they were very heavy and he had very high cut feathers as well, so the bow would have performed much better with a 10gpp arrow and normal fletching but no doubt it his equipment was set up properly and he know exactly how it was performing...Glenn...