linnen

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

ichiban

linnen

#1 Post by ichiban » Sun May 31, 2009 5:50 pm

hey guys i was looking for a good sorce of linnen for bow strings any info would be grate, and how do you work out number of strands, is 3gn per pound a good rule?
basicly im over darcron and FF so i thought i would just go with the old school, and stick with it.

thanks,
Dave
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

looseplucker

Re: linnen

#2 Post by looseplucker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 pm

You could try dropping me an email.

I bought a reel of it in Ireland.

You use the chapter on bowstrings in the TBB which will tell you how to do it and get the weight right.

It is next to impossible to get in Australia, so I paid ten pounds and brought some back.

Alternatively go to http://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/ - they run practically the last linen mill in Ireland.

and email them and ask for Nigel who runs the shop - tell him you know the mad aussie that was there in November and you want a cone of the coarsest thread for damask linen. A full cone is 14,000m and you'll pay ten pounds plus postage. They also do half cones for less. But they will know what you want because I spent half a day in there going through what they have.

You can also order the bootmaker's linen thread from a place in Belfast, which I couldn't find - although I looked.

See also the following thread.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... ilit=linen
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

ichiban

Re: linnen

#3 Post by ichiban » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 pm

oooo cairful with kindness like that you'll never get rid of me.

thanks very much,
Dave
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy